real estate agent - can you file complaint

I am having the worst experience with my real estate agent buying in RP. Nothing was arranged and he sold us a piece of land that really didn't have any of the paperwork ready, 5 months later I still have to beg for updates. Is there a way to file a complaint? I know in AZ I could file a complaint. any idea anybody?

Landshark

I hope you don't have to much cash in the deal because this doesn't sound very good. I would contact Dee Brooks at Twin Dolphins Realty and get her input. Hope it works out for you.

JimMcG

I would like to hear Roberto's comments on this as to whether the licensing authority/Ampi would discipline one of its own members. I was informed that it may appear like the US but don't count on it.

Roberto

AMPI is a total waste of time and energy. They have no authority or enforcement powers whatsoever. It is a self protective social organization that spreads bull. I don't want to get started on that horror story.

Supposedly the state of Sonora has legislative authority to issue a license, to sales personnel but no one I know of has viewed it nor has anyone I know reported any action against a realtor or denial of license. AMPI has some agreement with someone to collect fees, supervise training, and issue certificate. The state is involve in some way but I know for a fact the AMPI has threatened denial of a license to anyone who does not cooperate with them. There have been egregious activities by AMPI officers with no action from anyone. This circumstance has led to a Wild West attitude. One board member threatened to harass a realtor to put them out of business for not cooperating with AMPI. Another calls themselves a 'Certified Broker When neither category exists. Read that on billboards They know nothing can be done. Get the cash and forget it
Hiring an abogado for court action is similar.

Yes you can buy safely if you are proactive from the start. You control the cash. Have assurances directly from a Notorio from their mouth to your ears, that a property can be sold before passing one penny. Pay fees directly not to an intermediary who will offer to take care of things.

although it seems impossible to shame them, I think you should divulge the names, realtor, agency and broker. Don't bother with the local papers. I wish everyone with a problem would report it here in the real estate section for discussion

JimMcG

AMPI is a total waste of time and energy. They have no authority or enforcement powers whatsoever. It is a self protective social organization that spreads bull. I don't want to get started on that horror story.

Supposedly the state of Sonora has legislative authority to issue a license, to sales personnel but no one I know of has viewed it nor has anyone I know reported any action against a realtor or denial of license. AMPI has some agreement with someone to collect fees, supervise training, and issue certificate. The state is involve in some way but I know for a fact the AMPI has threatened denial of a license to anyone who does not cooperate with them. There have been egregious activities by AMPI officers with no action from anyone. This circumstance has led to a Wild West attitude. One board member threatened to harass a realtor to put them out of business for not cooperating with AMPI. Another calls themselves a 'Certified Broker When neither category exists. Read that on billboards They know nothing can be done. Get the cash and forget it

Yes you can buy safely if you are proactive from the start. You control the cash. Have assurances directly from a Notorio from their mouth to your ears, that a property can be sold before passing one penny. Pay fees directly not to an intermediary who will offer to take care of things.

although it seems impossible to shame them, I think you should divulge the names, realtor, agency and broker. Don't bother with the local papers. I wish everyone with a problem would report it here in the real estate section for discussion
This was generally my understanding also.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Well despite what you feel about AMPI, it obviously provides some RE agents some value or they wouldn't become a part of it. So it makes sense if they want to be part of it and not get reprimanded or kicked out that they would abide by the rules and the guidelines issued by AMPI. So I believe that they would take seriously any action brought against them by a disgruntled client that was brought to the attention of the AMPI managers.

playaperro

El Pirata

ron

Well despite what you feel about AMPI, it obviously provides some RE agents some value or they wouldn't become a part of it. So it makes sense if they want to be part of it and not get reprimanded or kicked out that they would abide by the rules and the guidelines issued by AMPI. So I believe that they would take seriously any action brought against them by a disgruntled client that was brought to the attention of the AMPI managers.
I guess we'll find out in the future. It could be some RE Agents get some value from it and know nothing will happen to them so they stay a member.

Last edited:

playaperro

El Pirata
On the disbursements of fee's you would need someone like stuart title to hold the money till everything is settled and pay the lawyer that does the capital gains notario and deal with the bank fee's if it has a trust or putting a new trust on the property. Most of Las Conchas properties are on a master trust that expires next year so they will be having a fire sale on the inexpensive lots. Who's gonna pay 8 grand to renew a 11k lot. Banamex will probably charge 8k to cancel the bank trust if selling to a national. Can't imagine owning 5 lots there. Bank has the right to auction off the houses or lot if not renewed.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I am having the worst experience with my real estate agent buying in RP. Nothing was arranged and he sold us a piece of land that really didn't have any of the paperwork ready, 5 months later I still have to beg for updates. Is there a way to file a complaint? I know in AZ I could file a complaint. any idea anybody?
I do not know if PROFECO has any power over Real Estate deals however they DO have your back in many other situations where you feel you are being taking advantage of, check the link which has an article with all the info to get in contact with PROFECO, good luck!!!
And to all the rest of you people looking to buy any real estate in MX if you do not speak the language get someone that does to help you, preferably you find that person rather than the seller, and NEVER give any monies out until you are able to verify the ownership of the property you are purchasing, whether thru Catastro or the Notario!!!!!!! if you LOVE MX that much as to buy here PLEASE get familiar, if not learn the language, that way you will DEFINITELY feel the true MX and its beautiful people