Reviews of restaurants.

MIRAMAR

But to me, nothing comes close to the total Casa Del Capitan experience.
I used to love Nachos at Casa del Capitan until they started adding sugar to the beef served on top. I really wish they would take out the sugar and return to the original recipe because that is a fantastic view.

Rhino

Last night here. My reviews of restaurants!

Gas station in Ajo (Chevron?): we stopped here because we had a 40 minute wait to get through the immigration checkpoint at Midway. There was a medical emergency and they were landing a helicopter to get someone out. This gas station had Amazing burritos at the register. We tried chorizo & egg and steak & potato. They also had green chile and red chile. I thought those might be too messy for the car.

Tacos Brissas: Very good food, although limited menu. The Papa Rellena lived up to its reputation, and I liked that they served lots of extras - beans, the grilled jalapenos & onions, and the whole tray of different salsas & accompaniments.

Something Something con Flavio (along the water in the Malecon). Yucky. Expensive. Ordered mixed seafood grill and everything was rubbery. The ceviche was not chunky - it was ground together and almost a paste of fish. Breaded fish filets were thin and dry and bland. Should have known better than to eat there - there were only gringos in the place!

Puesto del Sol at Playa Bonita in Sandy Beach. Great view, and good for the kids who played on the beach while waiting for the food. Very overpriced. A canned Tecate was $3.00. Our lunch for 4 was $53 before tip. Good food, but not worth the price. It seemed a little tame (gringo-ized). Wouldn't go there again. There's too much other good food.

La Cita. Excellent. Chicken mole was tender and flavorful. It came with tortillas so thin you could see your hand through them. Also had the best shrimp cocktail I've ever had in Rocky Point. The breakfast menu looks really good and its either there or Ruby's tomorrow before we head out.

Azul. The pool bar at Bella Sirena. Much better than anticipated. Had 2 for 1 drinks happy hour. Ordered a shrimp basket, fish basket, shrimp tacos and fish tacos. The shrimp were HUGE and the serving on the basket was easily 1/2 pound. Very well cooked. The fish was flounder and it was delicate and moist and delicious. Also a HUGE serving. Easily 7-8 large pieces of fish. The tacos were 3 tacos each for $6 - a real bargain. The shrimp and fish baskets were $9 and $8.

I had a great time reading these boards to get some idea of where to eat. Thanks for the help and I hope my experiences help someone else.

Oh, also had Pollo Lucas. Good. An easy meal when you just want to sit "home" and eat on the deck.

Super Ley grocery store had really good produce and was better than the Fruiteria on Sinaloa.

Coke at the Oxxo is cheaper than the grocery store.

2 questions - what is the typical rate to tip at a restaurant? And ... Hmm, I forgot the other question. Oh well.
Mr Flores' gas station in Why has, hands down, the best burritos on the road from Phoenix to Penasco. It is very hard for us to pass without stopping for one red chili and one bean and cheese.

Landshark

Over 20 years I have yet to find another restaurant in Rocky Point where the food is good, the margaritas fresh and outstanding, and the view to die for. There are many places with good eats, but to me, nothing comes close to the total Casa Del Capitan experience.
Great discount coupon available for La Casa Del Capitan. We had a group of 6 and saved some serious cash!

Capitan coupon.jpg

rplarry

Great discount coupon available for La Casa Del Capitan. We had a group of 6 and saved some serious cash!

View attachment 6277
We have used that coupon at least 10 times this year and you are correct, a big savings!

Smart move on the part of the owners. We have seen a real uptick in business since they started that promotion back in December.

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
Over 20 years I have yet to find another restaurant in Rocky Point where the food is good, the margaritas fresh and outstanding, and the view to die for. There are many places with good eats, but to me, nothing comes close to the total Casa Del Capitan experience.
We do seem to find ourselves there at least once every time we visit. I personally cannot decide which is better, the margaritas or the view!
Put them together - Awesome! :pinkie:

az-dan

Ate at Mare Blu last week. A group of 10 of showed up and not very busy, maybe 4 other tables. It took over 45 min. for us to get our salads after we ordered and more than 30 min. after that to get our food which was not as good as we had in the past. Another table was complaining about the wait when I asked if there was a problem they kept saying the food was coming. A couple that we brought was so frustrated they gave me some money and left. We all went to Pano Vino another night and as always great service and great food, what a difference.

I have experienced terrible service at Mar Blu in the Malecon such that I will never go back. On the contrary, I have always had great service at Mar Blu on Sandy Beach. Hard to imagine the owner is not aware of the problems.

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
We have only been at the Mar Blue on Sandy Beach. I agree they are a little pricy in comparison; however, we have always had an excellent experience. Perhaps we have just been lucky, but the same can be said for establishments anywhere - one person has a different experience than another.

jerry

Defrente reports to Tourist restaurants on Sandy Beach have been closed down for Heath reasons...they do not say which. also poaching is really getting the shrimp catch..."The shrimp poaching closed season is the main reason for sampling by the National Fisheries Institute (Inapesca) produce results little flattering for the next harvest shrimp to start in September, declared Hermenegildo Ramirez. The head office of this port fishing regretted that clandestine capture pink crustacean in the juvenile and spawning was one of the most possible causes that there are few volumes of shrimp on the coast of the Sea of ​​Cortes according to studies and surveys conducted in July and August.
He said that unfortunately there are people who did not obey the closed season for shrimp which began in March to date, and which surely affect those working and living from this activity in the municipality of Puerto Peñasco.
"The reports we know the crew of the ships during the expedition were Inapesca results tell us that few flattering and shrimp low volumes, so we believe that we are approaching a season low productivity compared to other years" , said the federal official.
He acknowledged that have not yet been made public the start date of the shrimp season, but tentatively indicated is mid-September, as well as historically has happened in past years in the town of Puerto Peñasco and Pacific litorial.
He said the previous 2012-13 season shrimp capture this port is rank this as good harvest, increasing the volumes of the crustacean at 201 tonnes and up close to the market price per pound in the foreign market.
Finally Hermenegildo Ramirez worked reported that last year about 90 boats and shore height, which reached in the 2012-13 season catch of 1560 tons of shrimp, bay being 16 tons, while in 2011-12 achieved 1,359 tons and 3.8 respectively Bay.

playaperro

El Pirata
Two restaurants were shut down out of 28 that were inspected, they might of not been in the Sandy Beach area because the tourist zone extends from the Mirador all the way to JJ's.

mis2810

Two restaurants were shut down out of 28 that were inspected, they might of not been in the Sandy Beach area because the tourist zone extends from the Mirador all the way to JJ's.
I know that Chill Out Bar on Fremont is closed for 2 weeks, but not sure if that's the reason why or not.

We moved here June 2012 and have a few secrets we have shared with our friends.

Taco Poblanos-- Simply said, the best carne asada tacos I've EVER experienced. The pastors are ok, but the carnes asada is off the charts.

Mariscos Express-- Just down the street between Rosies and Poblanos. Awesome. Always fresh, always clean and an incredible value. The best seafood in Rocky Point. Go the Malecon for the atmosphere, cold beer at Boo Bar but get your seafood fix at Mariscos Express.

Fruit and Veggies-- Bypass the middle man and go right to the supplier. Coliman's sells to Super Ley but you are more than welcome to buy direct. We go in once a week and come out with two or three bags of the good stuff and have a hard time spending more than $15. If it's in season, they have it and always the best and freshest in town.

Classic Rock-- http://gopenasco.com I had to do it.

Last edited:

MIRAMAR

I agree Tacos Poblanos are the best in Penasco- a little picante, but delicious! We tried everyone's suggestions, but Tacos Poblanos are the best we've tried. I used to eat them with flour tortillas, but I tried the fresh corn tortillas after I saw the woman making them fresh from the masa, pressing them, and grilling right there. The best Carne Asada tacos we've found are in Sonoyta at El Serape.

Landshark

I agree Tacos Poblanos are the best in Penasco- a little picante, but delicious! We tried everyone's suggestions, but Tacos Poblanos are the best we've tried. I used to eat them with flour tortillas, but I tried the fresh corn tortillas after I saw the woman making them fresh from the masa, pressing them, and grilling right there. The best Carne Asada tacos we've found are in Sonoyta at El Serape.
Agree with you about El Serape. Their food is great! Have you tried their beans? Served in a cup almost like a soup with carne asada and melted cheese. Makes me hungry thinking about it!