Road Condition - Penasco to Caborca

JB123

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum but been checking it out the past few weeks. O've got a family trip planned in a couple of weeks south of Puerto Penasco in Santo Tomas. I've heard that the road between those two towns was in very poor condition but that there were recent efforts to improve it. Any news on the current consition of the road from anyone who has traveled it recently? I appreciate any feedback. TIA

Hillbeartoe

Well Known Member
Hmmmm, I am sure that Jerry will have something to say so hang in there.
I think there might be some safety issues more than road conditions for that trip.

JB123

OK. Thanks for your input. We plan to drive during daylight hours. I hope there are no problems doing that. If there are, then maybe I need to reconsidet my trip.

jerry

Well Known Member
OK. Thanks for your input. We plan to drive during daylight hours. I hope there are no problems doing that. If there are, then maybe I need to reconsidet my trip.
No big worries on the road.The PAN boosted the Coastal highway money last year..knew they were on the way out.You will have a great time but...lower your tires to under 15 if you drive down the clay ramp to the beach.Do not drive at night to the beer store or explore the dunes after dark.There is narco problems down our way but we are pretty safe......if the one out of thousand happens and you come across an armed check point just remain calm and it will not be a problem..Kayak in the morning,snorkel on a calm day 100 yards north it the tidal rock pools,fish about anytime should work.Get Adolfo the night security guy to buy you shrimp and if Gaspar the other guard is putting his net out at night wske up to check out the catch....print out a tide chart,everyone shuffle and look for the dolphins about 10 am....Kayak too them if lucky...

JB123

No big worries on the road.The PAN boosted the Coastal highway money last year..knew they were on the way out.You will have a great time but...lower your tires to under 15 if you drive down the clay ramp to the beach.Do not drive at night to the beer store or explore the dunes after dark.There is narco problems down our way but we are pretty safe......if the one out of thousand happens and you come across an armed check point just remain calm and it will not be a problem..Kayak in the morning,snorkel on a calm day 100 yards north it the tidal rock pools,fish about anytime should work.Get Adolfo the night security guy to buy you shrimp and if Gaspar the other guard is putting his net out at night wske up to check out the catch....print out a tide chart,everyone shuffle and look for the dolphins about 10 am....Kayak too them if lucky...
Thanks Jerry. I see that you post here quite often. We plan to be there in late July. We've read about the problems of driving at night so we plan to drive during daylight hours only. Did not know that kayaking later in the day could pose a problem so thanks for the heads up. We plan on doing mostly R&R. It's a family trip. I do plan on doing some fishing from shore. I didn't know there were tidal pools around Santo Tomas. I can't find much info on the interweb about Santo Tomas as I can for PP. I would enjoy some snorkeling or even just tide pooling for the kids.

We were looking forward to doing a sunset cruise out of PP one day, but based on what everyone is saying that sounds like a bad idea because we would have to drive back to Santo Tomas at night. Do you have any local knowledge of anyone offering sunset cruises at or near Santo Tomas?

Also, that is pretty neat about the security guards. Do you know how much they charge to make a beer/grocery run?

Thanks in advance.

jerry

Well Known Member
Town is only 6 miles and you can arrange them to bring beer or food...It is light till 8 so you can get there before night....bondfire on the beach is fun too...no luck with cruise but if it is a still evening sitting on kayaks as sunsets waiting for the damn green flash that never comes is great..

playaperro

El Pirata
Trucks and suv's do fine on most pot-holes, Its the cars with low profile 18-20 inch tires & rims that take a beating, Our resident pro fighter "El Gallo" had both tires and rims blow on that road to caborca, plenty of people posting on facejob Penasco about the problem.

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
Town is only 6 miles and you can arrange them to bring beer or food...It is light till 8 so you can get there before night....bondfire on the beach is fun too...no luck with cruise but if it is a still evening sitting on kayaks as sunsets waiting for the damn green flash that never comes is great..
Saw the green flash last August after 20 years of trying. Never say "never."

Landshark

Well Known Member
Good to know it can happen. After years of watching from Encanto I was thinking it was impossible. We saw it once in San Diego. The reaction from the crowded beach was unreal. Crazy part was my wife glanced away just as it flashed & wanted to know why everybody was cheering. I should have lied...

HILL BOY

Well Known Member
Saw it about 35 yr ago from Tucson Beach in sept Hot as hell out. Have never seen it again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk