Road Trip II

GV Jack

Snorin God
I was going to post this along with Russ' Road Trip info but decided it was too long and too boring. It does supplement his comments on San Carlos, though.

San Carlos V Puerto Penasco

My good friend Ross purchased a beachfront condo in San Carlos and invited us to go there with him for a long weekend over St. Patrick’s Day. I have always wanted to visit there so we took him up on his offer. The following is a trip report and comparison of the two places. A reminder, these are my views based on three quick days there. I am not a booster.

To start with let’s compare the drive from Green Valley. The drive down was roughly five hours plus a little. This included the drive through Hermosillo. While the road is mostly four lane, there were many detours and lane closures due to repairs. Going through the city was a pain in the butt. I understand there is a “by pass” but Ross said it was under repair. Still, it has to be better than a gazillion stop lights and heavy traffic. I stick with the drive to Rocky Point on this one.

Our arrival was right after lunch time so we went to a neat place called Charlie’s Rock for a beer and a bite. Right on the water with a unique décor, I was captivated by the scenery from our sea side table. The view was from east to west and covered by blue green water with hills and peaks down to the beach. More on the beaches later, but this was certainly a winning sight for our first stop. The shrimp tacos could not compare to Sr. Amigo’s or Mary’s.

We checked into Ross’ place and went sightseeing. My impression was that San Carlos is a village compared to Puerto Pensaco, however it is just a ten to fifteen minute drive to Guaymas where there is everything one could need. This helps keep the quaintness of San Carlos. The village stretches from east to west along the shore line. It is basically a one street town with the exception of a split in the middle. Go left and you head down to the marina. Go right and you head to the west end of town. There are mostly condos, restaurants, hotels and homes along the way.

At the far west end of town the road stops. There is a Club Med that’s shuttered and a couple of entities that turned out to be favorites. Both places are right on the beach, meaning no floors, just sand. The bar is called The Soggy Peso and the restaurant is called the Sunset Grill. We had a beer at the Peso and headed back to town. Ross wanted to show us a Yank hold out place called The Captain’s Club. We saw a sign that said they were serving Corned Beef and Cabbage in honor of St. Pat’s Day. Who could resist? We should have known better than go for Mexican Corned Beef and Cabbage. Suffice it to say that was the low point of the visit. Our bad, but the beer made up for it. We returned home and watched a beautiful sun set across the peaks to the west.

Friday morning we got up and went to the MarinaTerra Hotel for breakfast out by the docks. What a pleasurable setting. Eggs, becon and millions of dollars of yachts. We did have a visitor that provided endless entertainment. A black bird, I would guess a grackle would fly down to the table next to us. He would land on the back of the chairs, spy to see if the coast was clear and hop over to the sugar packet holder and grab one. He then would fly off with his treasure. He did that a number of times, but the intriguing thing was he would only take the yellow packets.

We returned to the condo for rest and beach walks. We skipped lunch and munched on some snacks including some guacamole I made. This, another Sol Beer and a nap held us until dinner.
Ross decided it was our obligation to keep the Soggy Peso in business so we headed back there for pre-dinner cocktails. They had some tequila somethings and I stuck with the beer. Later, we walked across to the Grill for a beach dinner. They decided on some kind of fish and shrimp thingy and I decided to try Beef Aracherra. I hit the jack pot. They said it was good but mine was great. Skirt Steak marinated in I know not what, but it was extremely tender and superb tasting. I know, silly me, steak in the heart of sea food country. Winner.

Saturday we awoke and made a decision to try something different. We went back to the MarinaTerra for breakfast, but we tried something different. Bloody Marys and Banana Stuffed French toast. It came with chopped fruit on top of fresh whipped cream. Folks we have another winner. Biggest disappointment was that they had covered the sugar packets with napkins so the little thief was shut out.
Ross took us to Guaymas to look around and see if we could find a deal on Kahlua. We did at Walmart of all places. We spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon exploring the area. Of course, nap time took place.

Once again Ross’ vehicle head across to the Peso for pre-dinner warm ups. The place was wall to wall people. We managed to find a table and had our usual. That place kind of reminded me of Capones in that the servers were all young men with great humor and really sincerely glad to see you.
After a bit we got in Ross’ car again and headed back toward town. This time he pulled off after about a mile and into a parking lot of a big hotel, The San Carlos Plaza. A walk through the lobby and a couple halls to the pool, by the pool and into the Palapa Restaurant. What a pleasure. Sitting in the huge palapa, once again looking at the Sea of Cortes and enjoying the wonderful Mexican hospitality.

It became obvious we needed to eat or we wouldn’t make it back to the condo. They once again went for a fish and shrimp combo and I tried something different. I told the server I wanted the Camerones Bacanora, not having any idea what the hell I was ordering. I did know it was shrimp but that’s about it. He broke out with a huge smile and said ,” Senor, you have picked my favorite.” I soon saw why. Many huge shrimp, marinated in Bacanora Tequila and in a sauce that was outstanding. I grudgingly gave them a small taste and they were jealous.

We found our way back home and again watched the sunset with some of the neighbors and fell into bed. Unfortunately the next day, Sunday morning we had to head back to Green Valley. The main issue was getting through the Mariposa Entry to the states. We were stuck in traffic for an hour and fifty minutes.
Okay, how do you compare the two places. You can’t. The drive to Rocky Point is a breeze and so is coming back. The scenery in San Carlos is outstanding with the hills and peaks right down to the water, but the beaches in Rocky Point are far superior. San Carlos has very little tide, not much surf and is limited because it is comprised mostly with what appears to be a series of bays. Rocky Point has what appears to be endless beaches. The food in San Carlos was outstanding as was the service. I have found the service in Rocky Point to be outstanding also. The food quite good, but not quite as good. Maybe, I need to expand my horizons in RP.

I would have no problem living in either place, but let me say what I like the best about both places. The Mexican people. What a pleasure they are. All you need to do is give them a smile and a friendly Buenos Dias and they will return it many fold. I found that to be true in both places. Wish I had more time to spend at both.

JimMcG

Y
I was going to post this along with Russ' Road Trip info but decided it was too long and too boring. It does supplement his comments on San Carlos, though.

My good friend Ross purchased a beachfront condo in San Carlos and invited us to go there with him for a long weekend over St. Patrick’s Day. I have always wanted to visit there so we took him up on his offer. The following is a trip report and comparison of the two places. A reminder, these are my views based on three quick days there. I am not a booster.

To start with let’s compare the drive from Green Valley. The drive down was roughly five hours plus a little. This included the drive through Hermosillo. While the road is mostly four lane, there were many detours and lane closures due to repairs. Going through the city was a pain in the butt. I understand there is a “by pass” but Ross said it was under repair. Still, it has to be better than a gazillion stop lights and heavy traffic. I stick with the drive to Rocky Point on this one.

Our arrival was right after lunch time so we went to a neat place called Charlie’s Rock for a beer and a bite. Right on the water with a unique décor, I was captivated by the scenery from our sea side table. The view was from east to west and covered by blue green water with hills and peaks down to the beach. More on the beaches later, but this was certainly a winning sight for our first stop. The shrimp tacos could not compare to Sr. Amigo’s or Mary’s.

We checked into Ross’ place and went sightseeing. My impression was that San Carlos is a village compared to Puerto Pensaco, however it is just a ten to fifteen minute drive to Guaymas where there is everything one could need. This helps keep the quaintness of San Carlos. The village stretches from east to west along the shore line. It is basically a one street town with the exception of a split in the middle. Go left and you head down to the marina. Go right and you head to the west end of town. There are mostly condos, restaurants, hotels and homes along the way.

At the far west end of town the road stops. There is a Club Med that’s shuttered and a couple of entities that turned out to be favorites. Both places are right on the beach, meaning no floors, just sand. The bar is called The Soggy Peso and the restaurant is called the Sunset Grill. We had a beer at the Peso and headed back to town. Ross wanted to show us a Yank hold out place called The Captain’s Club. We saw a sign that said they were serving Corned Beef and Cabbage in honor of St. Pat’s Day. Who could resist? We should have known better than go for Mexican Corned Beef and Cabbage. Suffice it to say that was the low point of the visit. Our bad, but the beer made up for it. We returned home and watched a beautiful sun set across the peaks to the west.

Friday morning we got up and went to the MarinaTerra Hotel for breakfast out by the docks. What a pleasurable setting. Eggs, becon and millions of dollars of yachts. We did have a visitor that provided endless entertainment. A black bird, I would guess a grackle would fly down to the table next to us. He would land on the back of the chairs, spy to see if the coast was clear and hop over to the sugar packet holder and grab one. He then would fly off with his treasure. He did that a number of times, but the intriguing thing was he would only take the yellow packets.

We returned to the condo for rest and beach walks. We skipped lunch and munched on some snacks including some guacamole I made. This, another Sol Beer and a nap held us until dinner.
Ross decided it was our obligation to keep the Soggy Peso in business so we headed back there for pre-dinner cocktails. They had some tequila somethings and I stuck with the beer. Later, we walked across to the Grill for a beach dinner. They decided on some kind of fish and shrimp thingy and I decided to try Beef Aracherra. I hit the jack pot. They said it was good but mine was great. Skirt Steak marinated in I know not what, but it was extremely tender and superb tasting. I know, silly me, steak in the heart of sea food country. Winner.

Saturday we awoke and made a decision to try something different. We went back to the MarinaTerra for breakfast, but we tried something different. Bloody Marys and Banana Stuffed French toast. It came with chopped fruit on top of fresh whipped cream. Folks we have another winner. Biggest disappointment was that they had covered the sugar packets with napkins so the little thief was shut out.
Ross took us to Guaymas to look around and see if we could find a deal on Kahlua. We did at Walmart of all places. We spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon exploring the area. Of course, nap time took place.

Once again Ross’ vehicle head across to the Peso for pre-dinner warm ups. The place was wall to wall people. We managed to find a table and had our usual. That place kind of reminded me of Capones in that the servers were all young men with great humor and really sincerely glad to see you.
After a bit we got in Ross’ car again and headed back toward town. This time he pulled off after about a mile and into a parking lot of a big hotel, The San Carlos Plaza. A walk through the lobby and a couple halls to the pool, by the pool and into the Palapa Restaurant. What a pleasure. Sitting in the huge palapa, once again looking at the Sea of Cortes and enjoying the wonderful Mexican hospitality.

It became obvious we needed to eat or we wouldn’t make it back to the condo. They once again went for a fish and shrimp combo and I tried something different. I told the server I wanted the Camerones Bacanora, not having any idea what the hell I was ordering. I did know it was shrimp but that’s about it. He broke out with a huge smile and said ,” Senor, you have picked my favorite.” I soon saw why. Many huge shrimp, marinated in Bacanora Tequila and in a sauce that was outstanding. I grudgingly gave them a small taste and they were jealous.

We found our way back home and again watched the sunset with some of the neighbors and fell into bed. Unfortunately the next day, Sunday morning we had to head back to Green Valley. The main issue was getting through the Mariposa Entry to the states. We were stuck in traffic for an hour and fifty minutes.
Okay, how do you compare the two places. You can’t. The drive to Rocky Point is a breeze and so is coming back. The scenery in San Carlos is outstanding with the hills and peaks right down to the water, but the beaches in Rocky Point are far superior. San Carlos has very little tide, not much surf and is limited because it is comprised mostly with what appears to be a series of bays. Rocky Point has what appears to be endless beaches. The food in San Carlos was outstanding as was the service. I have found the service in Rocky Point to be outstanding also. The food quite good, but not quite as good. Maybe, I need to expand my horizons in RP.

I would have no problem living in either place, but let me say what I like the best about both places. The Mexican people. What a pleasure they are. All you need to do is give them a smile and a friendly Buenos Dias and they will return it many fold. I found that to be true in both places. Wish I had more time to spend at both.
You are right on the money, to a tee in your descriptions of both places. I know because we have had interests in both places for 20 to 30 years and still spend time in both and have always enjoyed our times there.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life

Great post GV. I had just commented on Russ' post Road Trip which included a stop in San Carlos and then I read yours. I've heard the kayak fishing there is amazing so naturally that has me interested but also because of the landscape. I have always wondered about "town life" and from what you describe, it sounds like I need to set aside some time to visit San Carlos sooner than later. Thanks for the post! Loved the read. Go BUCKS!

GV Jack

Snorin God
Thanks, Joe...A trip there is a must. Sorry I waited so long to do it.

Oh, and by the way....O...H..

MIRAMAR

To me San Carlos is an American village, not a real Mexican town like Penasco. It's pretty in a different way than Penasco. If you want a Mexican city, go to Guaymas.

mis2810

LOVE San Carlos. HATE the drive. The beach, Playa Los Algodones at the old Club Med is incredibly beautiful.and perfect for swimming.

MIRAMAR

We went to San Carlos Catch 22 beach in 1983 when Club Med was being built. There was nothing on that beach, reminds me of the beach between Playa Encanto and Playa Dorada.

The "BEST" by far is Tacos del Diablo in San Carlos.

They are on the left side as you enter town, kind of a shanty shack place on a rocky slope with a hundred or so bare light bulbs strung around the perimeter of the outdoor dining area outfitted with K-Mart style white plastic patio chairs and tables.

Their condiment cart is exceptional in that all of the containers are deliberately left open 24/7 in order to capture La Sabor de Mexico. With the night time lighting the Moscas have a 24 hour feed and the dust from the road is constantly drifting over everything in order to insure that every communicable airborne disease known to mankind is infused into la comida.

Back in July of 2007 we took a trip down there for two weeks of fishin & divin. It was late at night as we rolled into town and Diablo's was the only place open. I knew it was going to be a disaster before the first bite but we were really hungry. Next morning I woke up to probably the worst case of Montezuma's Revenge that I can ever recall. Gracias al Dios the commode and shower were in the same stall in that house we rented. I recall the scene as something form one of the Tremors movies with the giant wormy graboides having metamorfed into the adult Ass Blasters. Non stop Pukin and Poopin flaming hot gas and acid was the perfect start for a long planned adventure. I was completely dehydrated so fast that we had to go to Guymas to find a clinic where I could get some IV liquids in me. Took another three days of IV's and gallons of Pedialyte to get it under control. We did kill some nice big bull DoDo's just off of la Isla and ate fresh just killed lobster every night.

Out at the Catch 22 airfield the ruins of the ruins from the movie were still there. I caught two just hatched baby Spiny Tailed Iguanas on the top of the walls. We smuggled them back to Yuma and kept them until they grew too big and mean to be considered pets. Four years ago I released them in a relatively lush canyon not far from Yuma. We see them almost every time we go up there and they both are approaching two feet in length.

My first trip to the San Carlos area was in July of 1972. None of what you see there now existed then. We took a dirt trail north from the bay and found the airstrip and the simulated North African ruins that was the command and control center used in the movie. We camped on the beach there with the only shade being a tarp strung out from my brand new International Travellall 4x4. At low tide a rock reef almost a mile long was exposed about a half mile offshore. To get to it meant a short swim with tennis shoes, a crowbar and mesh bag. Within minutes of flipping rocks with my crowbar I grabbed a full sized Spiny Lobster. Within twenty minutes I had six of them along with a sack of Purple Rock Scallops and Pearl Oysters.

The only food we had to buy on that trip was tortillas, beans and beer meaning a drive all the way to Guymas. At the south perimeter of the airfield was an Ocotillo stick and barbed wire cattle gate. I spotted an OD green piece of metal in the bushes and dragged it out. It was a cockpit seat from a B-25 bomber. I brought it home and later used it as a driver's seat in a Toyota Landcruiser after finding the seat cushions and safety belts at a war surplus joint in San Diego.

Oh well, those were the days,

JJ

Gracias Senor Jaime de la Selva, I'll check it out. If upon the next morning's fishing venture, I burn a "china-syndrome-esque" hole through the seat of my kayak, I will think of you fondly as I watch my tupperware Titanic sink to the depths of the Cortez.

Catcha vente dos.........................

web.jpg 2006-08-04 12.01.47.jpg

This is a shot of the ruins of the ruins of the movie set of Catch 22, north of San Carlos in August of 2004.

The lizard is juvenile Spiny Tailed Iguana known to the locals as Iguana Negra. They live all over in that part of Sonora, anywhere with rock piles and junk, on tile roofs, walls, corrals etc.

JJ