Rocky Point City Limits

ChuckNoll

Haven't seen this addressed and I want to be sure I have good information as I am planning a trip in the near future. Is the Mayan Palace inside or outside of the sanitary barrier? If it is outside, will there be any way to stay at the Mayan and still go into town for meals, etc, under the June 16th reopening rules?

Thank you

brokenwave

Well Known Member
The sanitary check point is south of the bridge so the Mayan road should be fine.
As far a coming in Penasco if the Mayan isn't on the approved list then you will be turned away without the proper paperwork
showing where you are staying is approved, you have a valid reservation and your name and everyone traveling with you is on
the list at the check point. (max of 2 people per car in town), with masks on?
Don't know if they are requiring masks while driving in cars.

ChuckNoll

Thank you. I will reach out to the Mayan to see if they plan on getting the certification even though they are not in the city limits.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Here is a site with approved hotels/condos etc. I don't know how often it get's updated. You need to click on the certified properties tab.

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
So is it possible to get to sandy beach from Sonoyta without crossing a sanitary check point? Are sandy beach homes/condos considered inside the city limits?

brokenwave

Well Known Member
The check point is south of the bridge, Yes, you can go to SB properties if you are renting a place that's on the approved list for being sanitized.
Most homes will not be on the list unless the owners or property managers applied to get homes sanitized and have the paperwork to prove it.
Sandy beach, Cholla, Las Conchas are considered City controlled.
You will need a confirmed reservation that shows everyone who will be staying on the rental agreement. No name on list = no entry past check point. Right now it's a Cluster Bomb. There's a lot of jumping thru hoops on this one. Here is a link that hopefully helps.

ernesto

Well Known Member
No way are they coming thru my house with the guy in the hazmat suit spraying whatever that is . Gonna wait it out til common sense prevails. Period.

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
The check point is south of the bridge, Yes, you can go to SB properties if you are renting a place that's on the approved list for being sanitized.
Most homes will not be on the list unless the owners or property managers applied to get homes sanitized and have the paperwork to prove it.
Sandy beach, Cholla, Las Conchas are considered City controlled.
You will need a confirmed reservation that shows everyone who will be staying on the rental agreement. No name on list = no entry past check point. Right now it's a Cluster Bomb. There's a lot of jumping thru hoops on this one. Here is a link that hopefully helps.

But if you don't have to pass a checkpoint to get to sandy beach then being on or off a list is meaningless.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
(Sandy beach, Cholla, Las Conchas are considered City controlled as stated in my original reply)

No, you can't go to SB without going through the screening check point,
everyone has to go thru the check point south of the bridge coming from Sonoyta to get into Penasco this includes SB.
All traffic from Sonoyta has to pass thru it.
The road going to Black Mountain and the resorts is blocked off with people manning it to direct cars trying to get to SB
and cars coming from El Golfo road Highway #3 to drive to the bridge check point for screening and access to all of Penasco.

There are only 2 access points to enter the city of Penasco, at the bridge check point and on the road going past
Las Conchas out near Encanto has a check point.
Everything else in my previous post is important, I'm sure there are going to be many (and owners of SB properties)
who will be turned back because of the rules that people will not understand them, or chose to ignore.
This week will be highly entertaining on here and on FB.

Last edited:

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
Sounds like we and many others will wait. The goofy rules and mask requirements while on 'vacation' are bit much. I also don't understand if a place has been vacant for months, why it would need to be 'sanitized'. The Chinese virus just appears?

brokenwave

Well Known Member
The CV-19 virus has mutated and is everywhere, in the Air, The Ocean and the Food we eat. Nothing is safe. We are Doomed.:shocked:
Now back to our regular programming.:cool:

Hopefully over the summer things will ease, we had 4 major trips planned from March-Sept to Italy, Europe, Mexico, California.
Only the Cali trip is looking like it may happen.

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
The CV-19 virus has mutated and is everywhere, in the Air, The Ocean and the Food we eat. Nothing is safe. We are Doomed.:shocked:
Now back to our regular programming.:cool:

Hopefully over the summer things will ease, we had 4 major trips planned from March-Sept to Italy, Europe, Mexico, California.
Only the Cali trip is looking like it may happen.
Some friends bought a house in La Spezia Northern Italy last year. Their plan was to fly out there yesterday. I don’t know if they were able to do it or not. I‘ve been in Puerto Peñasco since January. Mostly it has been good. I’m planning to go to California next week.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Glad to hear staying in Penasco was good, I know of a couple of Penasco friends who are going nuts from not being able
launch their boats and to fish. Last I heard Italy was still off limits to citizens from outside the Euro zone.

Buffalo Marty

Well Known Member
Sounds like we and many others will wait. The goofy rules and mask requirements while on 'vacation' are bit much. I also don't understand if a place has been vacant for months, why it would need to be 'sanitized'. The Chinese virus just appears?
At best its another example of a well-intentioned but ultimately mis-guided safety measure. At worst its an outright scam that will enrich a few "sanitization" companies while scores of other small businesses in RP are surely on the edge of financial ruin...

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
At best its another example of a well-intentioned but ultimately mis-guided safety measure. At worst its an outright scam that will enrich a few "sanitization" companies while scores of other small businesses in RP are surely on the edge of financial ruin...
Yes true....but at the end of the day the guys making the rules generally get their way, and if you want to come here then it is obvious what you have to do. I am going to lean on the thought it was a cautious move to protect the citizenry from something unheard of in our lifetime. We never thought they would close for the last 2 weeks of Spring Break and then Semana Santa..when they did Naomi and I said "no way to enforce anything about Semana Santa".....guess what nobody came for those last 2 big tourism pushes and millions were lost, then the Circus Mexicus crowd in June.....5000 plus people who's only intention was to party for 4 days and shower every bar and restaurant in town with money...."No way will they cancel it" it was cancelled...then Memorial day weekend.."they can't possibly keep the town closed for the official start of summer, can they?" Cancelled. So many millions of dollars lost city wide. It is thought that since we have all gone through this for this long it is a good time to not let our guard down....so I think they are doing baby steps all the way. Do we agree with all of it? Not all of it...Do we follow the rules? Absolutely. It will be over soon and looking back I think we stayed safe from this. We will see.

Last edited:

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
The Mayan is closed, so even though you don't have to go through the checkpoints, you can't get into the Mayan (currently). We tried on Sunday, but got turned back. I called them, and they are opening July 3rd both Mayan Palace and Grand Mayan Penasco.

Last edited:

brokenwave

Well Known Member
The Mayan is closed, so even though you don't have to go through the checkpoints, you can't get into the Mayan (currently). We tried on Sunday, but got turned back. I called them, and they are opening July 3rd both Mayan Palace and Grand Mayan Penasco.
So Miramar, access to the beach communities around the Mayan are accessible?

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
Glad to hear staying in Penasco was good, I know of a couple of Penasco friends who are going nuts from not being able
launch their boats and to fish. Last I heard Italy was still off limits to citizens from outside the Euro zone.
They got into Italy yesterday. Getting out of LAX yesterday was a giant run around until he pulled out his emergency backup Croatian passport.