Rocky Point fishing for the week

Going down to Rocky point for the week to fish. I am bringing down my trohpy 2052. I have been fishing down there now for the last year. Met up with a few of you guys but, but posting this trip becuase I feel the big one is due :). We have had some good luck with small groupers and corvina ect... Would like to head out to some of the deeper reefs if the weather permits. Pics next week :).

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Good luck!

I'd tell you where the hole is that I hooked the fish that popped an 80 pound leader last week... but nah, that's not gonna happen.

Well I think I have to do a few more posts to be able to put pics up. But, here is the fish count so far. More corvina than I could count, Several flounder on the fly rod --a first for me :)...Oh yay...forgot this seems to be a grouper forum.... 1- 8-10 lb pinto , 3 Sardinero 15- 20 lb range, some other smaller groupers in the 5 lbs and yes one 65-70lbs gulf grouper. We must of broke off of 4-5 other large groupers with one snapping the line just like it was silk thread on a wedding dress.

fishin

Isn't it awesome the power of these fish. I can't believe the power of the fish for there size. Good job . Post some photos when you can. Were there any good size Corvina and have you heard of any White seabass? The sardies are awesome eating. Thanks Leigh

Last edited:
Went out today with the wife and kid just to enjoy the water. The seas have been flat and the weather has not been too hot but getting warmer. Water tmps seemed to be around 65 most every where. Once out at sea we were surrounded by whales singing and sea lions dolphines ect..... Most enjoyable. My wife made some great sandwiches had some cold drinks and just drifted most of day. No worries of where the rock is what deepth which way are we drifing. I Was getting ready to go back to Safe Marina when the tides were changing & thought I would drop a line real quick. First Drop and bam hooked up fought the fish for about 5 minutes then off.... dropped againg asking if the wife wanted this one and soon enough the line was tight and not a rock around...fish on...gave the pole to the wife and after she had a felt a few good tugs she thought better of finishing out the fight and and handed the pole back to me a few minutes later reeled in a nice 30-35 lbs gulf grouper. One last drop becuase thats what you gotta do..hooked up again but, I forgot to re-tie the line and soon enough it broke off. As much as I hate to lose those fish & rigs catch and release is in my blood and its great to let those fish go healthy to fight another day. Great Vacation..Great hospitality in Mexico...and nothing better then being the Captian and getting the son and wife on some nice fish. We did not catch any whites sea bass nor heard any reports of them being caught ...but, maybe next time as those are awesome fish...
grouper dinner is ready ...and I will get our pics up soon.

garyd

Went out today with the wife and kid just to enjoy the water. The seas have been flat and the weather has not been too hot but getting warmer. Water tmps seemed to be around 65 most every where. Once out at sea we were surrounded by whales singing and sea lions dolphines ect..... Most enjoyable. My wife made some great sandwiches had some cold drinks and just drifted most of day. No worries of where the rock is what deepth which way are we drifing. I Was getting ready to go back to Safe Marina when the tides were changing & thought I would drop a line real quick. First Drop and bam hooked up fought the fish for about 5 minutes then off.... dropped againg asking if the wife wanted this one and soon enough the line was tight and not a rock around...fish on...gave the pole to the wife and after she had a felt a few good tugs she thought better of finishing out the fight and and handed the pole back to me a few minutes later reeled in a nice 30-35 lbs gulf grouper. One last drop becuase thats what you gotta do..hooked up again but, I forgot to re-tie the line and soon enough it broke off. As much as I hate to lose those fish & rigs catch and release is in my blood and its great to let those fish go healthy to fight another day. Great Vacation..Great hospitality in Mexico...and nothing better then being the Captian and getting the son and wife on some nice fish. We did not catch any whites sea bass nor heard any reports of them being caught ...but, maybe next time as those are awesome fish...
grouper dinner is ready ...and I will get our pics up soon.
What did you bait up with?

What a great time...I wish the US "population" knew that those are the types of happy times 99% of us have in RP!
Can't wait for the pics.

If they all knew how great it is they would all come and it would not be so great anymore!
I would like a few more to help with the local economy.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
I never did see a damn picture in this thread....

I don't believe you really caught those fish. :)

worry about how to catch fish instead of taking pictures

most of the time I forget to take pictures since I am prfetty happy that I did ok I saw the fish he caught and they were nice groupers I dont need to see a picture if I know the guy I kind of give the people I know the benefit of the doupt:twisted:

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
I would have just liked to see the pics...

especially since it's been nearly a month since I've been down there, and I've pretty much forgotten what a grouper looks like

Art- how did your big trip south go? I assume it was fun. I remember meeting you at the marina the night before you guys left...

I can't wait to be retired.

trip was great

saw a bunch of different area that I would never had the chance to see, fishing was slow due to the cold and murky water, I did catch a sailfish and a cubera snapper but it was great, Im sorry I got deffensive with the gentleman that caught the grouper but he is such a nice guy, and all he fishing is with his son and wife, nice to see that now a days, but I will tell you when you bring a fish in to Safe Marina the guys there will cut it uo before you can blink an eye,

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
That's awesome- I've been thinking about maybe towing my boat down to either San Carlos or Bahia de Los Angeles next spring, and I know I'll get down to fish Lobos eventually.

On my last trip to RP in March I had my wife and young daughters with me and I was pretty bummed that the wind forced us to stay close to the harbor all day- I had both girls all excited about seeing the sea lions and catching fish at the island, and then I had to disappoint them when the seas got too heavy to make the run.

But oh well- that's why there's next time.

dmcauley

birthday say.jpgThat's what they look like Robert. We caught one last month on the Josefina and 2 Black sea bass but the fishing was slow last weekend for us, just some goldspots and croakers.