rockypointnewsonline.com

Where ever and when ever I have traveled in Mexico it is always the bad American that makes me ashamed of some of us. I have traveled in Mexico for the last 63 years and love the people and the country. It is very likely that we will retire there. I only wish that I had known about the dual citizenship 45 years ago as I would have dual at this time.

Law and order --- The media and individual perception create the lawlessness attitude that some Americans have about Mexico. All you have to do is read or listen to the Phoenix news and hear the same thing. When you hear about the Mexican Police being shot in gunfights with the drug cartel you have to remember they are on the front line of trying to stop the drug movement into OUR COUNTRY. GIVE THEM SUPPORT.

I feel safer in most parts of Mexico than many parts of the USA. VIVA MEXICO

YES I AM A GRINGO AND PROUD OF IT

C

castaway

There are nice folks, assholes, and bigots of every color and across every border...even within our beloved Mexico. It seems that American bigotry and other negative traits are discussed far more then other nationalities...Europeans, Arabs, Asians, Africans and Mexicans included.

The pride that Americans should feel for the billions in humanitarian support and free military protection provided around the world far outweighs any embarrassment over a few tight fisted, loud mouthed, overly assertive knuckleheads who happen to be Americans.

In our house we literally count our blessings everyday for being born American. It gets a little old this "blame America for everything" bullshit.

"In our house we literally count our blessings everyday for being born American. It gets a little old this blame America for everything"

I don't think the negative traits of Americans get more attention, nor do I think everyone blames "America for everything". You are making an assumption and a generalization that's likely incorrect.

The flag-wavers (in any country) trouble me more than those who point out the weaknesses. Talking about problems can lead to improvement, and flag-waving just makes people think they are better Americans, the way bible-thumping makes people think they're better Christians.

My 23 yr old son spent three of the last five years in Iraq. I'm proud of him and our troops. What's that got to do with anything?

"In our house we literally count our blessings everyday for being born American"

Oh c'mon! I can practically hear God Bless America playing in the background. You write well, so I have no doubt you can make your points without the dramatic effect.

Thanks for the conversation, Castaway.

dmcauley

By all means we need to respect the people next to us in stores, most do, educating the undocumented is advisable to prevent crime and promote good neighbors- Emergency healthcare should be given to any one in need.
The majority of undocumented workers do not want hand outs. Those that want something for nothing, as few as they may be, need to go home to Mexico. I feel the same about Americans.
Mexico is very unfair in regard to dual citizenship for Americans. We must denounce the USA citizenship to become a legal citizen in Mexico-I have been working very hard to overcome this.
There needs to be immigration reform that is a must-and also there needs to be a road to legal residence for the deserving.

C

castaway

I'm serious. We count our blessings everyday for being born in America in this century.

If that sounds corny to some people it doesn't matter. We live better, have more opportunity, have better health care, better food, and whenever the world has needed saving, we get it done as best we can thanks to our troops past and present.

There are many people who slip in the blame America thing at many an opportunity. This post began by someone saying it was because of America's demand for drugs that there is chaos in Mexico cities.

Give me a break. Do we blame Mexicans for the murderous conduct of the Mexican street gangs that terrorize LA? Nay. That's America's fault too right?

I'll tell you a secret. Violence is to be blamed on those that initiate it. Not those who push back against it.

:usa: :usa: :usa:

yes...I am a flag waving American and no apologies whatsoever.

The lack of waving flags on my post doesn't make you a better American than I. And waving three flags doesn't make you better than waving one.

This thread did not begin as you say. It began because some idiot decided to mock my newspaper by denigrating Mexico and it's legal system. I took him to task and pointed out that crime exists on both sides of the border.

Wave your flag all you want to, but if you don't mind...would you please take it over to the corner so I can have a conversation? You are welcome to converse with me, but do not preach at me or wave your flag in my face.

dmcauley said:
Mexico is very unfair in regard to dual citizenship for Americans. We must denounce the USA citizenship to become a legal citizen in Mexico-I have been working very hard to overcome this.
There needs to be immigration reform that is a must-and also there needs to be a road to legal residence for the deserving.
The U.S. also requires that one swear an oath and renounce the original citizenship in order to become naturalized. I didn't have to go through that. I would not have done it.

Kenny

:lol:"We have a well rounded bunch here and although many of us have met or communicated with each other, in some cases for years, we still agree to disagree."

Back in the day when my friends and I were drinking, getting loud, and it was looked like things could get out of hand. I would sing this real loud, AND WHADA FINE SIGHT TO SEE.
Of course the couldn't help themselfs and it would be, IT"S A GIRL MY LORD IN A FLAT BED FORD.. It always worked, Jackson Browne wrote it >>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kTAT4vj_hI

Kenny
[/color]

dmcauley

I stand corrected- In other words the oath means nothing to immigration in Mexico
I don't know what repurcussions it would have in the US if I took such an oath in Mexico without intent or desire to obey the oath.
Seems kinda wierd but if I became a citizen of Mexico and was called to fight I imagine I would just as many undocumented sneak into our military just because it sounds like a good idea at the time.

dmcauley said:
I stand corrected- In other words the oath means nothing to immigration in Mexico
I don't know what repurcussions it would have in the US if I took such an oath in Mexico without intent or desire to obey the oath.
Seems kinda wierd but if I became a citizen of Mexico and was called to fight I imagine I would just as many undocumented sneak into our military just because it sounds like a good idea at the time.
No, perhaps I didn't explain myself. I am dead tired and that happens with me. The oath means everything. I did not TAKE an oath. I am Mexican because I was born to Mexican parents. I am American because I was born in Los Angeles, CA. Ergo, dual citizenship. You raise an interesting point. Many immigrants over the years have earned their U.S. citizenship by serving in our army during times of war. And some of them have collected the honor posthumously.

A

AZ Miguel

dmcauley said:
Emergency healthcare should be given to any one in need.
The majority of undocumented workers do not want hand outs. Those that want something for nothing, as few as they may be, need to go home to Mexico.
I call bullshit on that one! Go to any of the states emergency rooms and you'll see more UDA's getting free services then you would at your primary care physicians office, why? because they have no intention of paying for it. If that's not a hand out then please educate me.

C

castaway

AZ Miguel said:
dmcauley said:
Emergency healthcare should be given to any one in need.
The majority of undocumented workers do not want hand outs. Those that want something for nothing, as few as they may be, need to go home to Mexico.
I call bullshit on that one! Go to any of the states emergency rooms and you'll see more UDA's getting free services then you would at your primary care physicians office, why? because they have no intention of paying for it. If that's not a hand out then please educate me.
damn Americans...are you telling me that giving birth in the best hospitals in the world isn't free for all?

Well it darn well should be!
:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

InkaRoads

cronopiador
dmcauley said:
Mexico is very unfair in regard to dual citizenship for Americans. We must denounce the USA citizenship to become a legal citizen in Mexico....
dm, when I became a naturalized citizen of the USA I had to denounce my peruvian citizenship otherwise I would not be able to get my citizenship, I know that as an american you might not know that however as you can see there is no difference that I know between USA an Mexican laws when it comes to that and most countries are the same way, I believe there are a handfull of countries that will give you a double citizenship if you were born in one of their colonies/commonwealth states as is the case with Puerto Rico? and I am not even sure of that one.
It is a lot harder to inmigrate to Mexico than it is to do it to the USA, if it is done the legal way, anybody can live anywhere at any time, wether you are doing it legally or ilegally is a different situation.
OH!! and by the way denouncing my peruvian citizenship did not make me any less peruvian it just made me more part of the USA, I love the USA 'cause of many things and also because give me the oportunity to be what I want to be at any time because the resources needed are there if I so choose to, in other countries, specially third world countries, you might want to do many things and might have all the oportunities to do so, but are stopped by the lack of resources, which in many cases also happens here at a much, much smaller scale.
Patriotism is something that you feel inside, and you show as much or as little as you choose to, waving a flag or flags does not mean you are less patriotic than your neighbor.

InkaRoads, your words (and those of every American who came to be so by choice) get to me like no background music or flag waving ever could.

Thank you for making the sacrifice of leaving your homeland, and the brave decision to change your citizenship. In so doing, you helped to make the U.S. a better place!

dmcauley

Inkaroads- If you read my post it said I STAND CORRECTED- I have been through the immigration process with my wife and her 3 children right through to citizenship, so I know the process, just never heard the oath real good, so I read it.
I believe that Az Miguel is either racist or has the inside track with hospitals-I have seen many hispanics in emergency rooms but never questioned them as to their legal status- Reminds me of the time a guy on our crew called La Migra on several hispanics on the crew that couldn't speak english- When immigration arrived, he happily pointed out the three in question. They immediately showed their papers to the officials as the racist s.o.b. ran and was not heard from again.
Every one that needs emergency treatment should be stabilized before we question the ability to pay, we do that much for the enemy in a war.
I have been fighting a bill for three months for an ER visit. Twenty eight hundred bucks for an EKG for my wife and three hours of being ignored. My insurance refused to pay more than 12 hundred and they want me to pay the rest- Oh yeah, 800 bucks for meds-Three aspirin.
The process in Mexico takes muchg more time- For me,this is harder.
I love our mexican neighbors and will always argue their rights- I am also a proud american and a Yankee Doodle Dandy to boot

dmcauley said:
Inkaroads-
Every one that needs emergency treatment should be stabilized before we question the ability to pay, we do that much for the enemy in a war.
I find it incredible that we pay gazillions of dollars in bailout money to fat-cat executives who then go off to fancy resorts or retire with a huge chunk of the bailout funds, yet we complain about paying the bill for someone's emergency room visit.

C

castaway

PitiquitoRosy said:
dmcauley said:
Inkaroads-
I find it incredible that we pay gazillions of dollars in bailout money to fat-cat executives who then go off to fancy resorts or retire with a huge chunk of the bailout funds, yet we complain about paying the bill for someone's emergency room visit.
childbirth is a bit more then an emergency room visit. are you the typical reporter who likes to leave out important facts in order to make their case? A case usually based on ideology rather then fact?

Hope not but it sure looks like it.

:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
What ever happened to talking about the newspaper?

Play nice kids, we don't want to scare anyone off.