Roofer Flat roof

JonC

Hi I am new to the forum all though I have read many post. I was wondering if anyone had a good roofer that they could recommend that is not charging as if they are living in the states. If anyone has had one done how much did it cost? I have a flat concrete roof and wanted to get it foamed or recoated in the mirador.

JonC

Thanks! That seams like a good price if it is quality work.
Do you have any other recommendations or are they the only ones in town doing it?

mondone

Whitecaps
I also had AiHre foam my roof about 6 years ago and so far no issues or leaks. I'm beachfront and the condensation that accumulates most every early morning will leave tiny puddles of moisture in the indentations of the foam which burn off quickly, but these areas start to blister off the coating within 2 1/2 to 3 years. So I plan to re-coat every 3 to 4 years ( hopefully closer to 4) and will be doing so again this fall. I have brought down and used Henry's elastomeric coating for the re-coats. I used their Enviro-White™ Extreme coating for the first re-coat, but at $99 a pail I'm going to try their next product down, their Dura-Brite™ product. Both are 100% acrylic products. I just picked up 5 pails at Lowes this week on sale at $71 each less 5% using my Lowes credit card. I'm not sure what's available in Penasco. I know AiHre used Diathon on the initial roofing job, but I'm not that familiar with it and not sure how good a material it is.

JonC

I was thinking of just having the Henrys extreme coating applied over the existing roof instead of foaming it. How much did they charge for yours? I would have thought that it should last at least 10years without recoating it. That doesnt sound like they are using a good product if you need to recoat every 3years.

mondone

Whitecaps
Not with the beach exposure, whole different ball game. Like I stated before, I'm using Henry's which is a very good product.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
I was thinking of just having the Henrys extreme coating applied over the existing roof instead of foaming it. How much did they charge for yours? I would have thought that it should last at least 10years without recoating it. That doesnt sound like they are using a good product if you need to recoat every 3years.
Most of the elastomer products sold in RP are the 2,3 and 5 year warranty types. As Mondone said being close to the water is hard on it.
The little puddles of moisture will make US $100 per bucket stuff blister in 3-4 years as well.
The closer to the water you are the more maint is needed

playaperro

El Pirata
Be lucky to get 3 years with the mexy product if you live near the beach, may look ok, but the rain will do it in.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
Personally, from experience in Phoenix as a GC and in Miramar with my house I feel that ALL elastomeric products are garbage and akin to putting milk on your roof. We now highly recommend 100% silicone roof coating. I have coated 5 roofs with this material and find it remarkable. I am going to try using it on an outdoor drywall ceiling in a commercial drive through that keeps deviating. Just my .02 cents of experience.

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
Personally, from experience in Phoenix as a GC and in Miramar with my house I feel that ALL elastomeric products are garbage and akin to putting milk on your roof. We now highly recommend 100% silicone roof coating. I have coated 5 roofs with this material and find it remarkable. I am going to try using it on an outdoor drywall ceiling in a commercial drive through that keeps deviating. Just my .02 cents of experience.
Yeah – We’ve tried the elastomeric route, and it is about as durable as, say, Elmer’s Glue and plastic wrap. Recently spot-applied Henry’s 100% silicone. Threw some sand in for a little texture, as without it, the finished product transforms the roof top to a slippery slide. Sherwin Williams (in US) has now come out with a 100% silicone product: Uniflex Rubberized Silicone Roof Coating 44-300 White. The potentially good news about that is that there’s a Sherwin Williams in Penasco. Hoping in a few days to check with them in Penasco, to see if they have or can get it, to free us from hauling from The States.

mondone

Whitecaps
I saw that Henrys silicone product at Lowes the other day, but at 3 times the price I wasn't about to experiment with it. Would of cost me $1000+ in material just to do my roof. Plus I believe once you use silicone there is no going back.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
I saw that Henrys silicone product at Lowes the other day, but at 3 times the price I wasn't about to experiment with it. Would of cost me $1000+ in material just to do my roof. Plus I believe once you use silicone there is no going back.
I have heard that once you apply silicone you cannot apply anything else but you may never have to. And for sure, when wet from dew or rain the silicone coating is very slippery. I have re-applied silicone on top of itself where I had a roof split apart at a seam and it seems to stick to itself very well.
I have a roof in North Scottsdale that is going on fours years with silicone and so far we see absolutely no deviation.

Wood Spinner

Well Known Member
As some of you know I was a landscape contractor for many years on the Casa Grand - Phoenix area. I uses a produce for pond liners called EPDM. This material comes in rolls and can be taped together to form a seal. It is not cheap but it carries a 25 year in the sun warranty. This is the same stuff used on home shower pans and some huge ponds. I would think this should work on a roof.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
As some of you know I was a landscape contractor for many years on the Casa Grand - Phoenix area. I uses a produce for pond liners called EPDM. This material comes in rolls and can be taped together to form a seal. It is not cheap but it carries a 25 year in the sun warranty. This is the same stuff used on home shower pans and some huge ponds. I would think this should work on a roof.
On some commercial roofs I see a product similar to what you are describing and my roofer calls it TPO, as part of my business I inspect commercial roofs for property managers and you would not believe what I find in terms of poor roofing technique and application, complete lack of maintenance, dead animals, pigeon feces 9-10 inches deep, plants and trees growing in the pooled water, AC contractors who install HVAC units and leave electrical connections exposed and do not connect condensation lines, broken skylights and skylights without cages--the roofs many times are like the aftermath of third world war zones zones can be startling ugly.

Landshark

Well Known Member
https://www.roofingcalc.com/flat-roof-materials/
Good article on flat roof materials/membranes...pvc, epdm, tpo, spray silicone. Recently finished a re-roof that had a low pitch (1.5/12) porch. The roofer suggested Duro-Last PVC membrane. Since the roof was visable from the street I went with interlocking metal over ice & water shield underpayment which was laid over a recent torch down roof which was still in great shape.
http://duro-last.com/duro-last_membrane

Last edited:

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
I also had AiHre foam my roof about 6 years ago and so far no issues or leaks. I'm beachfront and the condensation that accumulates most every early morning will leave tiny puddles of moisture in the indentations of the foam which burn off quickly, but these areas start to blister off the coating within 2 1/2 to 3 years. So I plan to re-coat every 3 to 4 years ( hopefully closer to 4) and will be doing so again this fall. I have brought down and used Henry's elastomeric coating for the re-coats. I used their Enviro-White™ Extreme coating for the first re-coat, but at $99 a pail I'm going to try their next product down, their Dura-Brite™ product. Both are 100% acrylic products. I just picked up 5 pails at Lowes this week on sale at $71 each less 5% using my Lowes credit card. I'm not sure what's available in Penasco. I know AiHre used Diathon on the initial roofing job, but I'm not that familiar with it and not sure how good a material it is.
One coating of Henry’s Silicone roof coating applied properly and you will be worry free for 10 years, maybe more. Elastomeric states right on the label that it is for UV protection only, not for water proofing. After using Silicone-which admittely is 3-4 times as expensive, you will realize that elastomeric is akin to spreading skim milk on your roof. As a GC I will not allow elastomeric to be applied to any roof that I am responsible for. Good luck!

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
Flat roofs, as opposed to pitched roofs, are a cost-effective option for homes as a result of generations of use in commercial flat roof construction. The modern materials and application techniques used in the construction of flat roofs make them a viable, protective and long-lasting alternative to their pitched roof counterparts. By choosing the proper materials, hiring an experienced professional to build and install the flat roof, and committing to regular inspection and maintenance, you may count on many years of reliable performance when selecting a flat roof solution. One major drawback of flat roofs is water ponding. Liquid EPDM Rubber can withstand ponding water literally 365 days a year. Liquid EPDM Rubber is designed perfectly for flat roofs.
New code for commercial roofs is requiring a little more pitch to the roof which is good as no roof is truly flat and ponding occurs. EPDM is awesome but most investors in commercial and home builders opt for cheaper methods.

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
One coating of Henry’s Silicone roof coating applied properly and you will be worry free for 10 years, maybe more. Elastomeric states right on the label that it is for UV protection only, not for water proofing. After using Silicone-which admittely is 3-4 times as expensive, you will realize that elastomeric is akin to spreading skim milk on your roof. As a GC I will not allow elastomeric to be applied to any roof that I am responsible for. Good luck!
Yep. We applied Henry's expensive Silicone some years ago, after elastomeric, foam and other efforts failed, and it has worked very well.