Roosterfish

Old55

Well Known Member
I understand that beach north of the lighthouse is producing them from kayaks or just wading out…I saw this too…pretty cool from the Lobos fishing group “
I think we can officially call Puerto Lobos “Roster Fish Crazy” and as the song says “The Boys are Back In Town” referring to the fish.
Let me tell you about a cat named Matthias that had Roster Fever so bad that he made multiple yearly trips to La Paz and the beaches of Las Arenas. He knew the big fish were there and in fact the all tackle world record Roster came from those sandy beaches. While the rest of us went off shore to catch Dorado, Tuna, and occasional Wahoo, Matthias stayed near shore and slow trolled big Lady fish until he got a hammer bite. Mathias then photographed, measured, methodically entered into his log book all pertinent information about the catch, and released the fish. Matthias only fished with Enrique the best Captain for catching the difficult bait Lady Fish and then putting you on the Rosters. Take a gander at a much younger me with a forty pounder pictured with Captain Enrique. The other photo is a small fish I caught on the beach while having our fish filleted.
Lots of folks might say Wild Bill you looked so young and fit in the pics? Well that was a long time ago and and I’m older and fat. Just remember a lot of people would love to have a chance to get old.
Matthias had passed now but I still remember him well and his passion for living. Here to hoping the good men and women of The Puerto Lobos Fishing Club have that same passion. 

Tmecke

Hooking into one that size must be one hell of ride! The small ones I caught were strong and acrobatic, trying to throw the hook like a large mouth bass but with much more speed and power per pound.

mondone

Whitecaps
Yep. Didn't plan on eating those, cut bait if needed. We did catch some nice Corvina the first 4 days of the trip and made some awesome fish tacos for ten. Most were caught on the beach at high tide using bait on high low rigs w/6 oz weights.The best fishing was after sunset the first 2 nights. First time catching Corvina at night.
Had a great trip and plan on returning next May, maybe sooner if possible.

View attachment 17350View attachment 17351View attachment 17352View attachment 17353
Just curious, do you always shower with your fish? :laugh:

Old55

Well Known Member
What year was this taken?

Dang good fish!!!!
Think in the 80s but heard they are back…maybe not that big but look at this one off Woody’s boat and this classic picture of Tom from lobos when he was young!0AC537E0-E2C7-449C-9948-39D7C2FBA2FF.jpeg0AC537E0-E2C7-449C-9948-39D7C2FBA2FF.jpegA952184C-C8CF-434B-A6A8-3C48FB994218.jpegA952184C-C8CF-434B-A6A8-3C48FB994218.jpeg

cubbies24

Went to RP for first time this past week and caught a bunch of small Roosters same size on the sandy flat east of the rocks at wrecked at the reef. I was burning a 1/2 kastmaster. Probably caught like 30 in 2 hours got bored and moved on