RV parks

Scrounger

I'm interested in hearing what anyone thinks about the RV parks around RP. Our family owned a house in Cholla in the 50's and 60's, so I sorta grew up here. We started coming back about 5 yrs ago and have finally made the investment of an RV. We will be coming down a lot now !! Anyway, I'm partial to Playa Bonita but have heard things about Playa de Oro and The reef. What say you ?? thanks !

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
All depends on what you want. Playa Bonita is nice but a bit cramped on space size.. and space availability..it is close to everything..the Reef is away from it all and has huge spaces...playa de oro is close to a lot of stuff but the main park is usually pretty full in the winter. I run many caravans from Feb to May and we use all 3 parks for different groups but for my biggest groups with usually bigger rigs we use the Reef. Easy in and out.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
If you choose the Reef, it's in a more secluded area, close to Wrecked and Mar Blu but you'll be looking
at that unfinished jetty. I paid to day camp at the Reef RV for access to Sandy Beach and enjoyed the beach
but found the Jetty was my only complaint, it really screw's up the view.

Kenny

Well Known Member
The pier/breakwater is starting to produce as we knew it would and after reading your post's, that should be a plus for the reef. Remember how much life was on the volcanic escarpment at Cholla in the '50s? Some of the very best times of my youth starting in 57 in one of Nachos huts, and of course, buying firecrackers at the store. The fishing then has no comparison to today's, but they're still can be some decent fishing from shore. I've seen some pictures of juvenile grouper that were caught off the jetty.

Last edited:

Kenny

Well Known Member
If you choose the Reef, it's in a more secluded area, close to Wrecked and Mar Blu but you'll be looking
at that unfinished jetty. I paid to day camp at the Reef RV for access to Sandy Beach and enjoyed the beach
I thought most everything built on Sandy Beach since the 50's screwed up the view.:eek: Get in line, please. ;)

brokenwave

Well Known Member
We used to ride our ATV's from Cholla to the beach before Playa Bonita until 1995, hell you can't even get
on Sandy Beach now without staying at one of the Condo's, Playa Bonita or the Reef RV park.
If something is different, fill me in, Thx.

Kenny

Well Known Member
We used to ride our ATV's from Cholla to the beach before Playa Bonita until 1995, hell you can't even get
on Sandy Beach now without staying at one of the Condo's, Playa Bonita or the Reef RV park.
If something is different, fill me in, Thx.
I wish I could but you know what they say, "that's progress".

Scrounger

I love to fish. What about that angle ? I bet there might be some fish being caught off the letty ? !!

Scrounger

The pier/breakwater is starting to produce as we knew it would and after reading your post's, that should be a plus for the reef. Remember how much life was on the volcanic escarpment at Cholla in the '50s? Some of the very best times of my youth starting in 57 in one of Nachos huts, and of course, buying firecrackers at the store. The fishing then has no comparison to today's, but they're still can be some decent fishing from shore. I've seen some pictures of juvenile grouper that were caught off the jetty.
I remember Nachos store well as a youngster. Some of those chinese firecrackers were great fun and a fast fuse once in a while was dangerous. HA ! Maybe bouncing a swimming jig off the bottom for flounder ??

Scrounger

Yep, I can see those volcanic rocks with the little holes all over them that would drop off into sand. We had a little tri-moran and my parents pulled a bunch of conks off pelican point with scuba in the mid-60's.

Kenny

Well Known Member
I remember Nachos store well as a youngster. Some of those chinese firecrackers were great fun and a fast fuse once in a while was dangerous. HA ! Maybe bouncing a swimming jig off the bottom for flounder ??
You've got it. I imagine Corvina for sure chasing baitfish along the shore on an incoming tide till they hit a wall, the jetty. I then Imagine them rolling along trying to follow the incoming by following along the jetty. Open water predators and the ambush fish that now live along the jetty would have a field day. Why not you too?

joester

2 salty dawgs
We like PDO as a park to stay at with or RV. Our first trip was around 2006, and we choose PDO strictly as a guess from our initial search for an RV park. Honestly, have never stayed in another RV park in the area. We have visited the Reef, and did a quick drive-by of Playa Bonita, but our future trips will continue to be at PDO, hopefully Thanksgiving again. We like it there, the people we have met there, and the staff. Probably 20 or so stays of 4 -8 nights, usually 7 nights.