??s about entering/exiting Rocky Point

Hello, I am going down to RP with the family on sunday. I haven't been in 4 years and had a few questions…

What documentation do I need entering and exiting RP? I am taking my kids so do they need original or copies of their birth certificate? Also, for our vehicle, it said I needed to have the original title with us??? Thanks!

do you have any passports of any kind? BC to get back in to the US is ok. How old are your kids?
You don't need to have your title with you. I have never heard of such a thing.
You need a copy of your current Reg and ins so you can purchase the mexico auto ins.
As far as entering, smile and wave when you get the green light.

I have a passport and my wife has a passport card. The kids are 15 months. We have purchased mex auto ins. Thank you for your reply!

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Then you are fine the babies don't need passports to reenter the USA. Have fun on your vacation! Plan on purchasing your food here in Rocky Point don't bring veggies or meat into Mexico.

UPDATE: The customs agents was a complete jerk crossing back in Lukeville. Seriously he was an a-hole to us. He also told me I needed my kids original birth certificates to cross back when we had the copies with us.

Hey....sometimes ur the bug and sometimes ur the windshield.
You happened to get the a-hole. Srry to hear about that.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Crossed back to US yesterday morning around 9:15. There were about seven or eight cars ahead of me but they opened
a second gate. I stayed in the line and Ross shifted over to the new gate. His line moved rapidly and he was through quickly.
When I got to the guard shack, some guy in uniform stepped in front of my car, assembled all the BP agents and held what
we called in the army, "Morning Muster" After reading three or four pages of notes, he waved us through. About 15 minutes.
The young lady was very pleasant, asked a few of the usual questions and sent us on our way. A great deal better than those on
Labor Day.

adicted

so yes or no on needing passports. Been 2 years since gone there and we just needed drivers license for me and wife and birth certificates for the kids...is it the same still????

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Landshark, good post but you answered it in your post. The WHTI is exactly that, an initiative, it is thereby not a law, for it to continue it will have to be renewed unlike a law. The Constitution of the USA (as of now) always allows the reentry of USA Citizens to their country of origin, you do not need a passport to come into Mexico. You are required (by force) to have one when going back into the USA but they still HAVE to let you in - all you have to do is provide is your social security number and your mothers maiden name and - boom they know exactly who you are.

Landshark

Landshark, good post but you answered it in your post. The WHTI is exactly that, an initiative, it is thereby not a law, for it to continue it will have to be renewed unlike a law. The Constitution of the USA (as of now) always allows the reentry of USA Citizens to their country of origin, you do not need a passport to come into Mexico. You are required (by force) to have one when going back into the USA but they still HAVE to let you in - all you have to do is provide is your social security number and your mothers maiden name and - boom they know exactly who you are.
Russ, thanks for clarifying. Now I am even more curious so I have been reading more & I still don't fully understand it! I remember when they announced the passport requirements for international travel calling it mandatory. I am a person who always attempts to obey the law without question so I got passports for my family. Now as I read the initiative it appears passports are required for international air travel, both for departing & re-entering the US, but for land & sea travel, they are not. The initiative states for land & sea travel one of several documents are acceptable for re-entry into the US. "WHTI was successfully implemented on June 1, 2009 for entry into the U.S. by land and sea. U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry are required to present a WHTI-compliant document such as a valid passport, U.S. passport card, Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry or FAST), or an Enhanced Driver’s License." I don't see where it says a passport is mandatory for land & sea travel, but once you have one you can use an enhanced driver's license. It appears that passports were never required for those traveling by land or sea, but they implied you needed one. So guys like me went out & spent $500 with the Feds when we could have applied for one of the other compliant documents. A way for the Feds to improve their database? A fundraiser? Or are passports really required & I am still missing something? :confused::confused:

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Russ, thanks for clarifying. Now I am even more curious so I have been reading more & I still don't fully understand it! I remember when they announced the passport requirements for international travel calling it mandatory. I am a person who always attempts to obey the law without question so I got passports for my family. Now as I read the initiative it appears passports are required for international air travel, both for departing & re-entering the US, but for land & sea travel, they are not. The initiative states for land & sea travel one of several documents are acceptable for re-entry into the US. "WHTI was successfully implemented on June 1, 2009 for entry into the U.S. by land and sea. U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry are required to present a WHTI-compliant document such as a valid passport, U.S. passport card, Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry or FAST), or an Enhanced Driver’s License." I don't see where it says a passport is mandatory for land & sea travel, but once you have one you can use an enhanced driver's license. It appears that passports were never required for those traveling by land or sea, but they implied you needed one. So guys like me went out & spent $500 with the Feds when we could have applied for one of the other compliant documents. A way for the Feds to improve their database? A fundraiser? Or are passports really required & I am still missing something? :confused::confused:
They will insist that the passport or passcard is required, they will press hard if you confront them. Unfortunately some of the agents are "not up to speed" on more than what their supervisors tell them in the meetings they have. I listen to what they tell some folks heading down to Mexico on other subjects and they are way off base on that as well. I know they have a hard job but they should learn all they can some if someone presses them for the facts they can with confidence reply correctly. The government sold a lot of passports the last couple of years. There are a lot of folds to this story. I have a group of people coming down for a quick trip, these people never travel anywhere so none of them had pass ports or anything else. They wanted to cancel the trip because of the expense of obtaining something they may only use once. We discussed at length what the WHTI is and what it is not, they are coming and none of them have passports or passcards still.