Safety in Rocky Point

Waiting

My apologies in advance if this is well covered in a recent thread. But this topic is still timely for me as I am considering investing in a Rocky Point condo. Of course, I read all about recent graves and shootings. So this is the topic: With changes in power within the criminal element are we expecting RP to still remain a kind of a neutral zone? Or is there an expectation that the idea of safety will diminish over a period of time? Indeed, I am not interested in any activity that draws attention or would be viewed as risk that would suggest I deserve something. Just want to get through the border from Phoenix and enjoy some time at sandy beach condo. Any takers / opinions?

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
Well for starters, media generally forgot to mention that those “recent graves” were actually dug many years ago. They were merely discovered recently. The shooting story was also poorly represented. Not to diminish tragic events, but (since you asked for opinions), in a nutshell: The road to Penasco has been and will remain friendly to visitors.

Waiting

I am aware of what is stated in prior two posts. So what about if there is a so called change in regime for the historical criminal element. Could it be argued that RP could become more dangerous if the criminal activity moves into RP with a bit more openness. I know I am hinging into having someone predict the future. Indeed, will RP remain safe?

CheddarBob

Well Known Member
If you can predict the future. Can you tell me what stock options I should consider. All kidding aside my wife and I in 2018 purchased a home in Las Conchas. We are currently back in Canada and can’t wait to get back. The week we get home are flights are booked to head back in 2 months. Almost a snowbird but not quite

marybna

Well Known Member
I am 73 and have owned in Penasco over 30 years. I feel very safe there. I have owned at Spa. Las Palomas and Bella. I do not drive from Tucson at night. I do not carry a gun in Mexico and I have a 10 lb yapper dog. A day will come when I will have to not drive down but I grew up in Hawaii and the river at Havasu is not the same as the ocean

BeachyKeen

Well Known Member
My apologies in advance if this is well covered in a recent thread. But this topic is still timely for me as I am considering investing in a Rocky Point condo. Of course, I read all about recent graves and shootings. So this is the topic: With changes in power within the criminal element are we expecting RP to still remain a kind of a neutral zone? Or is there an expectation that the idea of safety will diminish over a period of time? Indeed, I am not interested in any activity that draws attention or would be viewed as risk that would suggest I deserve something. Just want to get through the border from Phoenix and enjoy some time at sandy beach condo. Any takers / opinions?
I feel more safe in PP than I ever did in Tucson or when I visited Phoenix. More of a chance of getting hurt from a deal gone bad in some neighborhoods in Tucson & Phoenix than a run in with cartels, that being said anything is possible but statistically you are way safer once you drove smart and careful and arrived in PP

richwi

Well Known Member
I am a researcher by profession and tend to go with the data. That being said, bad sh_t can happen anywhere. In 2018 approximately 35 million American's visited Mexico and 73 were murdered. About half of those were murdered by other Americans. Statistically Mexico is safer for Americans than any city in the US. In Puerto Penasco there were 9 murders (of any nationality) from Jan-Oct 2019. Statistically this is a murder rate of .127 per 100,000. By comparison, Scottsdale had a murder rate of 1.2 per 100,000 or almost 10 times as high. Over all the numbers say Puerto Penasco is very safe. Here is a link if you want to see Puerto Penasco crime statistics http://apps.sspsonora.gob.mx/matrizpublica/Content/analisisdelictivo/EneroOctubre2019/PRESENTACION Mensual Municipios OCT 2019 - PUERTO PEÑASCO.pdf

audsley

Well Known Member
Richwi, we really don't know how many murders were committed in Puerto Penasco or in Mexico overall. What we do know is that a much smaller percentage of Mexico's murders are ever reported compared to the percentage reported in the US, many of the murders reported in Mexico are not investigated, and that 98% of reported murders do not result in anyone being sent to prison. These are the conclusions of experts whose study has gone beyond simply crunching the official numbers.

(Of the nine murders reported for Penasco in 2019, were any of those among the fifty-some-odd bodies found buried at the edge of town last fall?)

That said, I take no issue with your overall conclusion that it's not unsafe to visit Puerto Penasco provided you follow the basic precautionary guidelines that are so often re-stated on this forum. Rather I'm concerned that government officials everywhere, not just Mexico, have been cooking the books to suppress their crime stats and who knows what else. I believe homicide is still treated seriously in the US, but lesser crimes have become fair game for tampering.

richwi

Well Known Member
Audsley, not to be argumentative, but when you say "What we do know.."etc. As it applies to Penasco that is an assumption. It may be a true assumption, but there are no facts that back that up. So far the authorities have said that the bodies buried in Penasco are from various parts of Sonora, but none that have been identified so far are from Penasco. They have also said that the bodies ID'd are from multiple years.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Audsley, not to be argumentative, but when you say "What we do know.."etc. As it applies to Penasco that is an assumption. It may be a true assumption, but there are no facts that back that up. So far the authorities have said that the bodies buried in Penasco are from various parts of Sonora, but none that have been identified so far are from Penasco. They have also said that the bodies ID'd are from multiple years.
From were did you get your information ??

richwi

Well Known Member
Forensic Scientific Intelligence Laboratory (CIF) in Hermosillo made a report to the Mexican Federal Ministerial Police.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Cllick the small envelope at the top right of the screen next to your name. then click start a conversation. Thanks

VegasDude

So this is the topic: With changes in power within the criminal element are we expecting RP to still remain a kind of a neutral zone? Or is there an expectation that the idea of safety will diminish over a period of time? Indeed, I am not interested in any activity that draws attention or would be viewed as risk that would suggest I deserve something. Just want to get through the border from Phoenix and enjoy some time at sandy beach condo. Any takers / opinions?
To try and answer your question I would say "Know one really knows" . I believe its more defined by your own personal comfort level. We tell people who ask about our travels to Rocky point that if they don't feel comfortable or can't enjoy their time in Rocky point then its not worth the trip. This February will be our 16th year to RP. Each year I ask the wife if she feels comfortable going and the answer is yes. So the "risk" assessment is up to the individual person and their "comfort" level. Rocky Point "neutral"? don't know much about that and don't believe anybody else has any accurate information other than a "belief". I think that "belief" lies in other "beliefs" like saying "Vegas was crime free when the Mob ran the town"
Now the investing I can only offer my personal input of one person. I spoke to our Vet who owns a condo in Rocky Point, rentals are down for him this last summer/ winter, but thats one person. He attributes it to the recent news events, but who really knows. At any rate, maybe you'll find some good buys in the condo market. Hey, if you wanna try my Vet's condo as an experience, I might be able to hook you up.

When we traveled to Israel a couple of years ago, we did ask about any rockets landing nearby but we did enjoy the trip. In Egypt I told the wife to stay away from the guy carrying the AK 47 on our bus as security. The bad guys usually shoot at the biggest threat, but even thats a myth. We enjoyed ourselves there also. So its all relative.

At the rv parks, where we go, its been like a roller coaster. Some people visiting, others too concerned about the news articles and their level of risk and have stayed away. It will be interesting to see this February.

So I guess I would ask, how do you feel about travel and staying in Rocky Point?

Last edited:

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
While “feeling of safety” enters into the decision factor in travelling to Penasco, there are also some of us who – like me – have traveled there once a month for over 20 years . . .and others who live there permanently. If there were a safety concern, they (we) wouldn’t be doing that. That simple. Due to sensationalized, misrepresented news reports, there seems to be a desire for proof that it is a safe trip. Many who are well traveled on that route simply don’t feel compelled to go beyond "sure it is" by engaging in a hard sell . . . .

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Came down on Wednesday, crossed into Mexico at noon, everyone is getting the red light.
Agent went thru my cordless drill case and a small ice chest. 2 minutes later we were on our way.
Did the 26 mph crawl through Sonoyta and up to 50mph as you exit town.
Then we sped up to 70mph after we were 3 miles out no issues, we say 2 different groups of 3 police trucks heading
north as we got closer to Penasco.
Easy trip just like the dozens we've taken over the years. I've seen some things that will make you go Whoa!! a few times.
We used to have many friends who would come down with us but over the past 12 years as bad stories have lit up the news most have stopped
coming down.

My best friend who's been here 100 times can't come down because wife is afraid and won't let him go anymore.

Funny they vacation in the Bahamas and Jamaica and I feel way more safe in RP Mexico than those places.
I will never go back to either of them.

So I feel pretty safe in Penasco, but you do need to pay attention just in case.

Last edited:

girlfran

Well come on down.