Safety in Rocky Point

girlfran

Came down on Wednesday, crossed into Mexico at noon, everyone is getting the red light.
Agent went thru my cordless drill case and a small ice chest. 2 minutes later we were on our way.
Did the 26 mph crawl through Sonoyta and up to 50mph as you exist town.
Then we sped up to 70mph after we were 3 miles out no issues, we say 2 different groups of 3 police trucks heading
north as we got closer to Penasco.
Easy trip just like the dozens we've taken over the years. I've seen some things that will make you go Whoa!! a few times.
We used to have many friends who would come down with us but over the past 12 years as bad stories have lit up the news most have stopped
coming down.

My best friend who's been here 100 times can't come down because wife is afraid and won't let him go anymore.

Funny they vacation in the Bahamas and Jamaica and I feel way more same in Mexico than those places.
I will never go back to either of them.

So I feel pretty safe in Penasco, but you do need to pay attention just in case.
At least you don't have to arm yourself to go about your daily business.

marybna

Well Known Member
I have had a place there for 20 years. I have never felt unsafe there. I all those years I had everything happen--emergency room visit, dog illness, car problems, condo problems. Never once id I ever have any trouble getting help to fix whatever problem there was.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Came down on Wednesday, crossed into Mexico at noon, everyone is getting the red light.
Agent went thru my cordless drill case and a small ice chest. 2 minutes later we were on our way.
Did the 26 mph crawl through Sonoyta and up to 50mph as you exit town.
Then we sped up to 70mph after we were 3 miles out no issues, we say 2 different groups of 3 police trucks heading
north as we got closer to Penasco.
Easy trip just like the dozens we've taken over the years. I've seen some things that will make you go Whoa!! a few times.
We used to have many friends who would come down with us but over the past 12 years as bad stories have lit up the news most have stopped
coming down.

My best friend who's been here 100 times can't come down because wife is afraid and won't let him go anymore.

Funny they vacation in the Bahamas and Jamaica and I feel way more same in Mexico than those places.
I will never go back to either of them.

So I feel pretty safe in Penasco, but you do need to pay attention just in case.

We're about to RISK IT ALL and come down this weekend. Staying at your neighbors house above you. Tile roof. Big house. Got a smoken deal on just one of the couple's rooms they rent. We actually went on the internet looking for your little casita and found this one. You still renting that out? Ever since the girlfriend saw that view she hasn't left me alone about staying at your place. I told her I wasn't sure if you rented it anymore and then we found your neighbors house. Debi and Steve I believe their names are.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
We're about to RISK IT ALL and come down this weekend. Staying at your neighbors house above you. Tile roof. Big house. Got a smoken deal on just one of the couple's rooms they rent. We actually went on the internet looking for your little casita and found this one. You still renting that out? Ever since the girlfriend saw that view she hasn't left me alone about staying at your place. I told her I wasn't sure if you rented it anymore and then we found your neighbors house. Debi and Steve I believe their names are.
Hey Joe, We're still renting it, just added some new furniture for it. PM if you want to rent. Thx
I know the place you're looking at up the hill.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Hey Joe, We're still renting it, just added some new furniture for it. PM if you want to rent. Thx
I know the place you're looking at up the hill.
Haven't met them just came across the ad looking for your place. Just emailing they seem really nice. I should have just messaged you. Of course I know how great your view is but once the GF saw it after we met you a year or so ago she can't stop talking about staying at your place. I will keep it in mind for our next trip. Sadly this spring won't be our normal southerly schedule. The girl has an acl and miniscus tear that require surgery. We both love the Boo Bar Poker Run and look forward to it all year long so this is our last trip before her surgery at the end of February. Realistically, we pry wont be able to make it down again until June or July. I might try and break free if I can to do some fishing but when I come solo the $23 AirBnB's in town from TIO are the only way I can manage usually. Anyway, you down this weekend? Also, winter southern setting sun should get us some good views of Baja at sunset correct?

Cheers!

Roberto

Well Known Member
You are more likely to have a problem with the real estate industry when buying here than anything else. They won't beat you up but might relieve you of some extra cash. Living here over 15 years I have seen many instances of theft by the pen but none by the gun.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Haven't met them just came across the ad looking for your place. Just emailing they seem really nice. I should have just messaged you. Of course I know how great your view is but once the GF saw it after we met you a year or so ago she can't stop talking about staying at your place. I will keep it in mind for our next trip. Sadly this spring won't be our normal southerly schedule. The girl has an acl and miniscus tear that require surgery. We both love the Boo Bar Poker Run and look forward to it all year long so this is our last trip before her surgery at the end of February. Realistically, we pry wont be able to make it down again until June or July. I might try and break free if I can to do some fishing but when I come solo the $23 AirBnB's in town from TIO are the only way I can manage usually. Anyway, you down this weekend? Also, winter southern setting sun should get us some good views of Baja at sunset correct?

Cheers!
Hi Joe, We're in Phx now going back down Feb 6th for 5 days. Here are a few pic's of sunset with mountains of Baja, I took last week.

Attachments

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
You are more likely to have a problem with the real estate industry when buying here than anything else. They won't beat you up but might relieve you of some extra cash. Living here over 15 years I have seen many instances of theft by the pen but none by the gun.
Roberto: you know who said “the Plume is mightier than the sword”

Kenny

Well Known Member
Recently someone asked who remembers the name of the resort that was shot up, and I thought; You should have been here, right here. We were getting live reports and a lot of homemade videos that were almost in real-time, with the sound of the helicopters and automatic weapon firing as a backdrop. All right here on RockyPointTalk. We used to rock.

Now that shoot em up should not be confused with the running gunbattle that started in Los Conchas I believe it was, and ended badly at the ballpark. There was a kidnapping mentioned, and I believe there were two Americans that died. Now that didn't see all bad to some, after all, they were Mexican Americans, and it was a drug deal gone bad. That little disagreement moved fast and was over quickly, but following that story through, and bit by bit did not.

The first incident I mentioned above some might have called tactical, lousy tactics is more like it "It was a full military assault," Heisler said. "Those guys were on a mission and serious about who they were going after", but it sure was a show. And without as much collateral damage as what we thought after our first-hand reports from windows and balconies. At that point in time, any big shot cartel member who thought he could take a little respect/hide, or whatever in PP, knew he could very well be dead wrong. But that was then....What?
https://www.kpbs.org/news/2013/dec/19/five-killed-puerto-penasco-tourist-zone-gun-battle/

Last edited:

Where’s The Fish

Anyone have any details on the Daily Mail story of some cartel guys marching a couple ‘thieves’ naked down a street while beating them? Here’s a link to the story. Pretty sure this happens in the States quite a bit and is underreported. I find it odd this made a British rag.