Safety on Sonoyta?

A

AZrockpoint

I usually discount these stories as urban legend but I have now heard similar incidents from different people. A couple of unrelated friends have told me that they know people were stopped by the Federales in Sonoyta and robbed of their wallets, credit cars etc. Given all the heightened awareness of safety in Mexico, I would have believed this would have been reported publicly if true.

Has anyone heard of similar stories and can you confirm whether this has happened?

dmcauley

I have never even heard of this in Sonoyta in the 25 years I've been going and I go so often that most figure me for a local- Not that it couldn't happen, but "several times", very unlikely!!

jerry

Hmmm. Sounds like the kind of story a guy would make up if he let "the black widow" in his car and he /she heisted the pendejo's wallet.

B

bahiatrader

Were they Federales or transitos? Federales territory is outside of towns. Fedrales are usually pretty straight with a strong esprit de corps. They liken themselves to the California Highway Patrol. The transitos or town cops are on the other hand are usually a bunch of crooks who live primarily off of la mordida. I wouldn't put anything dishonest past a transito. I've paid la mordida a number of times just to save time, and make life more simple.

rikyt

AZrockpoint said:
I usually discount these stories as urban legend but I have now heard similar incidents from different people. A couple of unrelated friends have told me that they know people were stopped by the Federales in Sonoyta and robbed of their wallets, credit cars etc. Given all the heightened awareness of safety in Mexico, I would have believed this would have been reported publicly if true.

Has anyone heard of similar stories and can you confirm whether this has happened?
I always have a problem with stories that start out that we have friends that know people that know people that these type of stories happened to.
To much here say if you ask me. I have been going down to Puerto Penasco for over 40 years and have never had a problem other than being stopped for speeding.

don

I always have a problem with stories that start out that we have friends that know people that know people that these type of stories happened to.
Truer words ...
Two weeks ago a coworker of my wife's informed my wife the Mayor of RP had been shot. Obviously a rumer, esp. after Rosie informed my she had just met with the Mayor and he wasn't leaking! :lol:

But like Bahia said, years ago, 70's it was commonplace to pay the la mordida. I have'nt had to pay that in years. And twice (over the years) while returning from PP I've received the the hand gesture to slow it down from the Federales. Police Officers on the take? Hmm, AIG execs...? :shock:

B

bahiatrader

I ended up paying la mordida for a bogus traffic light violation in Hermosillo two years ago, and agian in San Carlos on the same trip for a supposedly flickering tail light on a boat trailer I could never make flicker again. La mordida still exists. I would trust my life and maybe my wife to the Federales de Caminos. All good guys and professionals from my experience.

I haven't had any problems going thru Sonoyta.....even at the radar trap as you come into town on the way home....I know about it, drop down to 40kph (and 20kph when the signs change...yeah I know, it's a nuisance expecially for anybody behind me.....but I'm sure one vehicle behind me on one trip was glad I did....they avoided a ticket!!!))...and smile as I go by the cops in the middle of the road. I haven't noticed any highway patrol cars working the stretch between the border and Puerto Penasco the last 3 trips down.

Yeah...it's the old "heard it from a cousin of a friend of a friend...."

Hooch

I remember hearing these BS stories back in high school in the early 90's, still to this day have never met anyone it's happened to.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I have never been stopped in Sonoyta or Rocky Point in 36 years of driving in Mexico. The only trouble I have had in Mexico was with UGLY Americans! I had to have one put in jail once. :eek3: Those of you on the old forum will remember the story. I can't believe what some people will do in Mexico and then COMPLAIN when they get what they deserve! :roll: I could tell you stories......