Salt Flats threatened

Roberto

Desert People to fight Sonora salt mine
Semarnat approved 66-hectare project on lands of the Tohono O'odham
Mexico News Daily | Monday, April 10, 2017
An indigenous community in Sonora has vowed to fight a salt mine that has been approved by the Environment Secretariat (Semarnat) on land claimed sacred by the Tohono O’odham, or Desert People.

Although the Natural Protected Areas Commission (Conanp) decided that a salt mining project in the area was not viable, Semarnat representative Gustavo Adolfo Clausen Iberri authorized the strip mining of 66 hectares last December to Jesús Pedro Villagrán Ochoa.

The area, known as La Borrascosa, is located about 240 kilometers from Mexicali on the Golfo de Santa Clara-Puerto Peñasco highway.

On April 1, mining machinery arrived without the permission of the Tohono O’odham of the ejido Vicente Guerrero in the municipality of San Luis Colorado.

“My community protects these lands, they’re part of our ancestral culture. We’re trying to keep it from invaders, that’s what happening today,” said Julián Rivas, a Tohono O’odham leader from the community of San Francisquito.

“The land is sacred, it’s part of our lives and part of a training that we follow. It’s the beginning of life for us, it’s Mother Earth, [for that reason] we’ll try to stop [the invasion],” he told the newspaper Reforma.

“. . . we don’t know who authorized [the machinery], but we’ll put a stop to it. They’re violating our customs and traditions, they cannot violate our sacred land,” agreed Manuel Eribez Rodríguez, who added that the Tohono O’odham Supreme Council will meet next month to assess the situation.

Since 1986, 34 community landowners, or ejidatarios, from Vicente Guerrero have wished to protect an 800-hectare area that surrounds the salt flats, where they have an ecotourism project, said their representative, José Luis Bolaños García.

But he said there are at least four business people interested in salt flats adjacent to La Borrascosa: “They’ve seen the value of the land; La Borrascosa is just the tip of the iceberg. They claim that this is not a cultural zone and that there’s no historical heritage here but it is a sacred place for the Tohono O’odham . . . .” he lamented.

A salt mine existed in the area 23 years ago. After it closed, Bolaños claimed, 400 tonnes of trash were left behind, which the Tohono O’odham cleaned up.

“We’ve preserved this zone, cleaning it of the pollution they left behind after they exploited the salt flats; they left behind machinery, oil, batteries, scrap metal. Now that everything’s fine they’re interested in the place again,” he said.

The Tohono O’odham lands cover parts of the states of Sonora and Arizona, taking in the natural protected areas of the Colorado River Delta and and the Biosphere Reserve of the Upper Sea of Cortés.

Source: Reforma (sp)

Landshark

Some things never change. We have been stealing from the Native people since we invaded their land hundreds of years ago and it continues today. All about the mighty $. Hope they organize a war party and run the bastards off.

I'll bet that not even one of those "Desert People" are aware of the Giant Grey Desert Raccoons that inhabit those salinas. I've been driving around and across those salt flats since the 70's, when traveling from Yuma to Penasco meant a run down the beach from El Golfo to the mouth of the intermittent lagoon (the salina) then following the maze of tracks eastward to the salt loading station at the railroad tracks. Salt extraction has been going on at that spot for thousands of years, Lumholtz mentions it and the wagon trains that hauled it way before the railroad took over the transport. That salina becomes a lagoon several times a year when extreme high tides fill it with sea water then is evaporated by the sun and desert heat. Eventually the salt pan becomes hard enough to drive over and modern tractors with scraper blades pile the pure sea salt into rows then it gets bagged up right on the spot. This is not a "mining" operation, it is a renewable resource that returns every time the natural ebb and flow of the Gulf refills the lagoon as it has for thousands of years. In later times the salt gathering operation there became a headquarters for the drug runners, as the perfectly smooth surface of the salt flats were a natural runway for aircraft to load the ganja and cocaina from the pangas that landed on the beach at the mouth of the lagoon. I can remember many times observing armed guards on the dunes around the salina and the big adobe building that served as their headquarters. Everyone who used to drive and camp on those beaches were well aware of the operation and just stayed away from it.

As for los Mapaches Gigantes, they live in other secluded locations around the Sea of Cortes, Bahia San Francisquito being one where they are fairly common. These animals hunt the intertidal zones for anything fresh left by the receding tides and are experts at digging up Fiddler Crabs and Ghost Crabs. When the salina is full the Fiddler Crabs breed along the shoreline and anyone can easily observe the hundreds of fresh diggings and unmistakable huge fresh Raccoon foot prints.

JJ

jerry

I'll bet that not even one of those "Desert People" are aware of the Giant Grey Desert Raccoons that inhabit those salinas. I've been driving around and across those salt flats since the 70's, when traveling from Yuma to Penasco meant a run down the beach from El Golfo to the mouth of the intermittent lagoon (the salina) then following the maze of tracks eastward to the salt loading station at the railroad tracks. Salt extraction has been going on at that spot for thousands of years, Lumholtz mentions it and the wagon trains that hauled it way before the railroad took over the transport. That salina becomes a lagoon several times a year when extreme high tides fill it with sea water then is evaporated by the sun and desert heat. Eventually the salt pan becomes hard enough to drive over and modern tractors with scraper blades pile the pure sea salt into rows then it gets bagged up right on the spot. This is not a "mining" operation, it is a renewable resource that returns every time the natural ebb and flow of the Gulf refills the lagoon as it has for thousands of years. In later times the salt gathering operation there became a headquarters for the drug runners, as the perfectly smooth surface of the salt flats were a natural runway for aircraft to load the ganja and cocaina from the pangas that landed on the beach at the mouth of the lagoon. I can remember many times observing armed guards on the dunes around the salina and the big adobe building that served as their headquarters. Everyone who used to drive and camp on those beaches were well aware of the operation and just stayed away from it.

As for los Mapaches Gigantes, they live in other secluded locations around the Sea of Cortes, Bahia San Francisquito being one where they are fairly common. These animals hunt the intertidal zones for anything fresh left by the receding tides and are experts at digging up Fiddler Crabs and Ghost Crabs. When the salina is full the Fiddler Crabs breed along the shoreline and anyone can easily observe the hundreds of fresh diggings and unmistakable huge fresh Raccoon foot prints.

JJ
ahhhh...right Jim ....who wouldn't want this on their sacred LANDS... http://www.theworldfolio.com/news/Potential-100x-rise-in-salt-sales/3482/

Well.........

The operation I talked about above could never become as large as the Guerro Negro operation, especially when the salina is surrounded by the Biosphere Reserve. I've always wondered why the abandoned commercial shrimp ponds just north of El Golfo hadn't been converted to salt ponds. Now that area could be as big as or bigger than the Black Warrior Lagoon operation. The El Golfo ponds are a disgrace to the Planet Earth as they are permanent scars that can be seen from space. I had another thought about them related to the Totoaba, if fresh water could be pumped to them and a channel opened with drainage to the sea and allow tidal flow the fish would most likely naturally spawn there as they did in the Colorado River Delta not that long ago.

Back in the 90's during some wet El Nino years I witnessed a truly amazing phenomenon, just a half mile from my home here in Yuma the Colorado River flow is controlled by levees that keep the high water from flooding the agricultural fields. The Gila River had gone to full condition red flooding from the Black Rock dam all the way to Yuma. Almost all of the old natural river channels were flowing and close by they were indeed overflowing into the fields. I was in a Jeep following my girlfriend jogging on the levee bank. There was a wet area crossing the top of the concrete levee maybe an inch deep and ten feet across. As I approached I saw dozens of twelve to sixteen inch silver fish scooting across the water from the river side then into the canal the feeds the fields.

I jumped out of the Jeep and kicked a few away from the little creek and saw that they were adult Mexican Mullet ( Lisas) from the Sea of Cortez! I've eaten them many times in the past the Mexicans usually deep fry the whole fish then you get to pick at all of the scales and bones kinda like dealing with a Carp. I took a dozen home to nibble on and feed to my Wolf pack. While cleaning them I saw that every one was in spawning condition with the females were just packed with eggs.

So, since the Colorado was now actually flowing into the Gulf those thousands of fish managed to make their way from the Sea to their traditional spawning grounds going back thousands of years! Several other Sea of Cortez fish begin their lives in fresh or brackish water to include the Totoaba, Snook and Mullet. And as I recall I haven't seen a Mullet in PP in many years. I used to occasionally snag them along La Cholla but not anymore.

JJ

Landshark

Salt is a by-product of desalination, why not invest in a desal/salt plant? As I've said before, if RP experiences growth like everyone predicts, it will only be a matter of time before the wells collapse leaving RP high & dry. Let's face it, water isn't going to fall from the sky anytime soon and there isn't another reasonable option.

Hey Shark.........

For some reason they always spit the super brine back into the ocean. I saw a really big operation in Al Jubayl, Saudi Arabia a few years back, they had more fresh water than they could ever use since the lazy ignorant natives "don't do no farmin", nor any kind of work at all. The imported Paki's and Hindu's did everything for the rich bastards to include shoo the flies from their fat faces.

But yes, that would be a lot of super salty water to pump out onto some desert flat then let nature make it into valuable salt.

JJ

jerry

Hey Shark.........

For some reason they always spit the super brine back into the ocean. I saw a really big operation in Al Jubayl, Saudi Arabia a few years back, they had more fresh water than they could ever use since the lazy ignorant natives "don't do no farmin", nor any kind of work at all. The imported Paki's and Hindu's did everything for the rich bastards to include shoo the flies from their fat faces.

But yes, that would be a lot of super salty water to pump out onto some desert flat then let nature make it into valuable salt.

JJ
JJ you can't take these attempts to pillage the land in isolation.Remember this one http://www.hcn.org/issues/344/16943/print_view.....Mexico doesn't have a reservation system of land to protect the tribes.Pretty ironic these Mexican rich assholes try this on the April 6 anniversary of Tohono warriors coming to the rescue in Caborca and killing the Fillibusterious ....chopped Henry Crabbes head off!!!!

Hey Jerry......

That link that you show above no existe.

You know that I have never seen a single member of the San Papagos tribe other than when crossing the border at Sasabe where they are the only game in town for the Mercado Negro.

JJ