Sam's Club opening, other updates

I was at Sam's Club this morning and just glanced at the TV's. If you can give me an idea of what brand you are looking for or any other special features, I would be happy to look tomorrow and get you pricing.

Rhino

Thanks. Brands are secondary to size. Once I know whether Sam's Penasco has the sizes I need at competitive prices then I can hone in on features and buy there as opposed to the US or elsewhere in Mexico.

Did you see any furniture? I have never been to a sams club, is it similiar to costco?
Sam's Club is owned by Wal-Mart and is similar to Costco. They have two different types of stores here in Mexico. One is a smaller, limited store and the other is a much larger, Costco size store for cities with a population over 750,000. The one we have here is the smaller store with limited items. It is equal in size to the smaller one found in Mazatlan. They do have some limited furniture and accessories for both the home and patio. I did not find the selection to be great when compared to the larger Sam's that I am used to. I also found the pricing to be much more expensive than in the interior of Mexico with limited American brands. Not that it was bad, but just very different than the Mexican Sam's Club I have grown accustomed to over the past 7 years. Any improvement to the shopping variety is a welcome addition to Rocky Point.

Thanks. Brands are secondary to size. Once I know whether Sam's Penasco has the sizes I need at competitive prices then I can hone in on features and buy there as opposed to the US or elsewhere in Mexico.
I will check it out tomorrow and let you know on sizes, brands and some sample pricing.

Tv's are pretty expensive 40 or 42" were about $700ish dollars as I remember. $450 in US. A laptop was $1000. Same laptop in US is $600ish.
Seems to be 40-50% more than in states. X-Box was 2x more compared to Best Buy.
Lots of different alcohol, (beer, spirits and a huge wine selection, decent bakery.

Many pretty girls wearing bikinis working for Tecate, TelCel etc. Kind of different to see that in a store.
They have some furniture, mattreses (King was $330ish but pretty low quality, good for a rental.
It carries about 70% of similar items compared with a SC in the US.
The Walmart was a ghost town.

playaperro

El Pirata
Now you know why they come as far away as hillo to come shop here @ the malls in Tucsons. No deals in that store for electronics, clothes!

They have meats, chicken breasts were about $3.50lb bit more than in US, They had some fruits and veggies, didn't notice a pharmacy.
I didn't get over to where the frozen food was, sure they have some because it seemed to be 70% the same as in the US.
They had some tasty looking Bolito rolls, some with sesame seeds, my local friend tried some cake they we giving out as free samples,
he wasn't impressed. Lot's of free snacks there just like in the US.
Wish I could have been more observant but unfortunately, I was too busy looking at all the bling standing and smiling at everyone.
I would go back just for that. LOL

Cabo

Spanish Mackerrel
marketing to mens eyes.. and his wallet... that is funny, brokenwave would return so it works!!!!

Actually I perfer the shopping, but if there is some smiling bling to see I might shop a little longer. Some of the girls looked like
they were the Calle 13 day shift crew. LOL
It will be curious to see what crowds are there in a month or two.
Sadly it will put more pressure on the local stores, Coppel, Santa Fe, Super ley and some of the smaller store will take a hit from this.

I haven't been a member of Costco in years and have never been one with Sam's Club. Almost everything comes in bulk, and for just the two of us it doesn't make sense for me to shop there. The local stores will still have my business.........(although I do shop at Bodega Aurrera occasionally for convenience!)

El Gato

Coppel's prices are horrendous! Do most of our shopping at Super Ley - when the Bodega opened up Super Ley cleaned up their store, brought in more products and lowered prices - a win for the neighborhood. As beachgirl said, Sam's club is basically bulk products - obviously they don't think it will shut down the normal store or wouldn't have built next to Bodega - both have a place. Mom & Pop neighborhood stores will still have a place, they just need to offer a service the big stores don't - convenience and people that greet you as a friend.

Yeahh! Another good person who hasn't been caught up in Big Corporations web. It is so much better to shop locally (here and USA) It helps keep the
American and Mexican dream alive for busuness owners.
I really don't like how so many of the Mom and Pop stores in the US just disappeared when the franchises (owned by corporations)
just came in with usually inferior products and wiped them all out.
It is amazing that it is so hard to get a decent sandwich for lunch when Subways and Quiznos are everywhere (And in my opinion offer horrible food)
Time to get off my soapbox.

El Gato is correct, a friendly hello from a local owner is worth a ton. I would gladly pay a bit more for the personal service from a local. My favorite place is Muebles Coloniales, I have seen so many people hugged and given a kiss there by some of the women who work there, when was the last time you saw that in a big box store.
Coppel unfortunately takes advantage of people by offering products on credit to most who can't afford it anyway.
Darn I need to get off this box.