San Carlos Weekend

Lynnie

I'm planning a weekend trip trip to San Carlos from P.P. Whats the best way to drive there? Everything I have found suggests going to Caborca, to Hermosillo then San Carlos. Is there a more direct route? What about hotels? Dining? We love to eat and drink - but don't we all? Looking for suggestions?

sbulmer

s bulmer
Traveling to San Carlos is easy by bus or RV.Our family has stayed San Carlos at boutique hotel couple of times.The hotel rates are lowest.The faculty to be helpful and attentive. The hotel basic structure was not anything boutique sinful, but it was clean and in good shape. We enjoy every second spending there.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
If driving, go back up to Sonoita, take 2 south to Santa Ana, that will intersect with Mex 15 going south to Hermosillo. Better roads, for sure and probably faster than going the Caborca route, but I haven't gone through Caborca, so can't say for sure. Either way, you have to go through Hermosillo to get there, which can be a little confusing. Just follow the signs; it seems like a little bit of a run-around going through town. Once through there, it's a straight shot south on good road; You'll see the turn off for San Carlos just before you get to Guaymas.

mis2810

Yes. It's not part of the Only Sonora program. There's an aduana (customs) and immigration office at Kilometer 21 on the highway down. You have to get your permit and tourist visa there. You need to bring copies of your car title and registration. I haven't done it in about 10 years so I can't remember the exact process but if you go to the link that was posted above they should be able to tell you exactly. You may even be able to get the paperwork done at the Mexican consulate in Phoenix. In any case they put a sticker on your front windshield and then on the way home you have to stop to have it removed.

jerry

Yes. It's not part of the Only Sonora program. There's an aduana (customs) and immigration office at Kilometer 21 on the highway down. You have to get your permit and tourist visa there. You need to bring copies of your car title and registration. I haven't done it in about 10 years so I can't remember the exact process but if you go to the link that was posted above they should be able to tell you exactly. You may even be able to get the paperwork done at the Mexican consulate in Phoenix. In any case they put a sticker on your front windshield and then on the way home you have to stop to have it removed.
The Sonora "Free Zone": The Sonora Free Zone program for vehicles has expanded!! This means that those who plan to travel with vehicles in the state of Sonora north of Empalme/Guaymas no longer have to register and obtain a vehicle permit. If you plan to travel to the San Carlos-Guaymas area and no further into Mexico, this option applies. This also applies to trailers, boats, etc. Tourist cards are still required but for stays of 7 days or less you can get a no-fee tourist card.

Where is the Free Zone? The Free Zone includes the area west of Mexico Highway 15 to the coast or the border with Baja. It also includes the area from Douglas-Agua Prieta via Mexico Highway 2 west though Cananea to Imuris and everything north of that highway to the US-Mexico border. The southern end of the free zone is at KM 98 on Mexico 15, just south of Empalme. Communities in the free zone include Agua Prieta, Naco, Cananea, Nogales, Puerto Penasco, Sonoyta, San Luis Colorado, Caborca, Imuris, Magdalena, Santa Ana, Hermosillo, Kino Bay, San Carlos, Guaymas and Empalme. See the map below-the free zone is in beige.

mis2810

Thanks for correcting me Jerry! Like I said I haven't driven to San Carlos in almost 10 years. I'm glad they changed it - it was kind of a pain to have to do the permit thing. I've flown down there a few times as well. So much quicker, but way too expensive.

Esperanza

I thought they changed things so Permits are not required anywhere in Sonora? Ask Jerry, he will know.

If they ARE required, then, YES, you can get them from the Mex Consulate in PHX, We always get ours there when traveling to Chihuahua. You need your registration, title, passport. Make sure to have 3-4 photocopies of EACH BEFORE YOU GET THERE!! If your car is financed, you will need a letter from the finance company giving you permission to take the car out of the country, at least that is what I am told, we have not had this particular situation as we have older cars that are paid for :) !! You will also need to have a credit/debit card or leave a cash deposit. It's much easier with the card. I believe it cost around $50 last time?? They will ask your date of departure and port you will be crossing.

They are many on here that travel much more than us, perhaps they can give you additional info. Good Luck!

Esperanza

The Sonora "Free Zone": The Sonora Free Zone program for vehicles has expanded!! This means that those who plan to travel with vehicles in the state of Sonora north of Empalme/Guaymas no longer have to register and obtain a vehicle permit. If you plan to travel to the San Carlos-Guaymas area and no further into Mexico, this option applies. This also applies to trailers, boats, etc. Tourist cards are still required but for stays of 7 days or less you can get a no-fee tourist card.

Where is the Free Zone? The Free Zone includes the area west of Mexico Highway 15 to the coast or the border with Baja. It also includes the area from Douglas-Agua Prieta via Mexico Highway 2 west though Cananea to Imuris and everything north of that highway to the US-Mexico border. The southern end of the free zone is at KM 98 on Mexico 15, just south of Empalme. Communities in the free zone include Agua Prieta, Naco, Cananea, Nogales, Puerto Penasco, Sonoyta, San Luis Colorado, Caborca, Imuris, Magdalena, Santa Ana, Hermosillo, Kino Bay, San Carlos, Guaymas and Empalme. See the map below-the free zone is in beige.

Thanks Jerry! I was certain you would know for sure!