San Carlos

cubbies24

Hi all, new to the forum and RP. I've been reading through the forums and notice people talking about San Carlos for billfish and pelagic. However, I have no clue where this is and can't find on map. Looks like Los Lobos is another better option than RP for good sized bottom fish.

audsley

Well Known Member
Lobos is definitely a better fishing option than RP. Depends on what else you want besides fishing and how much you want to spend. I understand dorado can be good out of San Carlos in October, but generally the warmer months are better fishing there and in Lobos. If you like bottom fishing, think about flounder after the water cools in a couple of months.

GringoZona

Well Known Member
I don't want to be a fear-monger here, but I have always wanted to visit the area. New news scares me again this year. A coworker of mine in Tucson before Covid was fishing there every other weekend, I couldn't believe his catches on his cellphone. I'm still regretting blowing off that trip.

balthisar

Is it a safe route? Someone on another forum mentioned that it's probably not a good idea to stray too far from Pto. Peñasco on the local roads. I'll be there in December, and the thought of an overnight trip to Hermosillo just for a steak has crossed my mind. I'm assuming everything between Sta. Ana and Hillo are okay still.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Is it a safe route? Someone on another forum mentioned that it's probably not a good idea to stray too far from Pto. Peñasco on the local roads. I'll be there in December, and the thought of an overnight trip to Hermosillo just for a steak has crossed my mind. I'm assuming everything between Sta. Ana and Hillo are okay still.
I'm definitely not the guy to ask but RP to Hermosillo is more than an overnighter my friend. And I'm not saying that anything will happen to you but that inland empire right now is kind of up for grabs amongst the Sinaloa boys so it's pry not advised to drive to Hermosillo from RP. Nogy to Hermosillo down MEX 15 is recommended route.