Sand Crabs?

I recently took a vacation down in Puerto Vallarta and managed to get a few hours of fishing on the beach in front of the resort each morning/evening.

I started fishing with the standard bait (shrimp and squid pilfered from the kitchens) and lures I use a Penasco, without much luck. Then, one morning, a local chap brought me over what looked like a giant flea - about 2 inches long, with a humped back and legs tucked under the shell. He motioned for me to hook the beast through the back of the shell and out near the rear end. This did not look very appetizing to me, but within half a second of hitting the water I had a 2-3 lb fish hooked up. It is a bit difficult to identify the monster, but it could have been a White Grunt. Unfortunately no pictures...

Anyway, I ended up with a few dozen of these, a couple of smaller catfish-like fish and a nice sized puffer-type fish, so good fishing all round really. After missing a few hook-ups, I realized that I was dulling the hook trying to pierce the shell, so I took to drilling a small hole by rotating my knife point into the shell and putting the hook through that. Hooked every one after that.

It took me quite a while to recognize the signs of one of the little critters under the sand in the wash at the waters edge (Just a small half moon of darker sand showing where it had burrowed under), but once I got it, it was pretty easy to just look for one as required before each cast. My question is whether anyone knows what these crabs are called, and whether they also inhabit the waters around PP? I expect they would be superb bait here too.

dmcauley

I USED TO PICK THESE SAND CRABS UP BY THE BUCKET PRETTY QUICKLY ION sANTA mONICA BEACH BUT HAVE SEEN NARY A ONE IN RP.

Kenny

Yep, used to catch a lot of them off the California coast when I was little, but I've never seen them in PP. They probably need the open water with a smaller tide.

Kenny

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Seconding and thirding - they are very common on the California coast and you can catch them most anywhere if you watch for the signs. Corbina (not corvina) cruise the surf line looking for these little sand crabs (or sand fleas, as we call them).

Have never seen one in Rocky Point. I think the water and sand are too hot for them most of the year.