Sandy Beach Fishing Video

JB123

Cool video! What time of the day where you fishing? Is the heat bearable for daytime fishing right now?

It was about 2:30 or 3pm. The weather for this time period was well below normal. It was wonderful.
I finally got some thin long sleeve shirts and once they were wet the wind was blowing so I was very comfortable.
I always check to see when the peak of high tide is and start fishing an hour before peak. It gives you a solid 2 hours of fishing before the bite slows down and the water really starts to go out.

That is great. I would be there in a flash if the heat and humidity did not bother my wife so much.
I could not tell, what were the fish you were catching ? Look like Pompano.

That is great. I would be there in a flash if the heat and humidity did not bother my wife so much.
I could not tell, what were the fish you were catching ? Look like Pompano.
They were hard to see in the video but they are what I believe to be Sierra(thats what the guy at the store said as well). They look just like little Tuna. Initially I thought maybe Bonito. Looking through the fishmex hasn't helped much, everything that has similar spines and shape have some color where these came out pure silver.
Hopefully someone else can clarify but there were a bunch of them.
This is the best still I can get from my video, if you click it and it sends you to Photobucket you can zoom it and it's not bad.

Last edited:
Hmm, dunno. There was no coloration at all even post mortem they stayed pure silver. After dumping the water in the bucket and icing them they never changed or showed any color. I don't think they were Siera now because they weren't torpedo shaped they were kind of oval. The fish in this picture was 3-4 times the length of my lure which was 6"

I think it's a longstanding debate as to the proper name for that fish. I've heard locals call them "pampano" but they're definitely Leatherjacks/Longjaw Leatherjacks or relatives thereof. I'm not a biologist so I'm not sure if slight differentiations in coloring would warrant a completely separate species.

http://www.mexfish.com/mexico/leatherjack/

*Edit: Note that even in the Mexfish description it lists:

"The Longjaw Leatherjack, Oligoplites altus, whose common Spanish name is “Piña Bocona”, is a member of the Jack or Carangidae Family, known collectively as “Jureles and Pámpanos” in Mexico."

Hence the confusion

I think it's a longstanding debate as to the proper name for that fish. I've heard locals call them "pampano" but they're definitely Leatherjacks/Longjaw Leatherjacks or relatives thereof. I'm not a biologist so I'm not sure if slight differentiations in coloring would warrant a completely separate species.

http://www.mexfish.com/mexico/leatherjack/

*Edit: Note that even in the Mexfish description it lists:

"The Longjaw Leatherjack, Oligoplites altus, whose common Spanish name is “Piña Bocona”, is a member of the Jack or Carangidae Family, known collectively as “Jureles and Pámpanos” in Mexico."

Hence the confusion
Very interesting. That's why it is always so hard to take locals for their take on species.
Would be nice for Stuart to chime in on this.
Mr. Stuart, paging Mr. Stuart. Lol.

Very interesting. That's why it is always so hard to take locals for their take on species.
Would be nice for Stuart to chime in on this.
Mr. Stuart, paging Mr. Stuart. Lol.
For sure! Either way, I've never caught a fish more eager to impale its entire face on a treble hook.

Yeah that stopped everything when I used my spoon. Trying to get all 3 hooks out was a bitch. Fortunately the first one I caught on it was going in the bucket for the family they went to.

Kenny

I can't remember how many times over the years we've had this discussion on this Pompano/leatherjack deal and the larger version we find farther south that no one seems to know what the heck it's "real" name is. Jerry has seen boat loads of the larger versions come in down Santo Tomas way but I've never caught one from shore down there; though I did catch a 17 inch Pompano off the rocks north of Sandy beach some years ago..
I've caught a lot of Pompano on top water stuff and it soon becomes apparent that they often slam their victims with their spiny dorsal fin to stun them I assume and you find yourself pulling hooks out of their backs and dorsal fin more often than not.
There have been reports of Permit showing up in the sea of Cortez and a claim by a acquaintance that he's caught one and
I do know for a fact that Snook have made it around the corner with the warming of the water.

Kenny

My First posts where about this Leather Jack Question. You posted a Pic off las conchas with One and a Corbina. You still have it? Its a good One.
I caught them at Murua but the picture was taken at Encanto and it was a Corvina.. Lets see if I can find it. OK, I think this is the one you're talking about: This one? The picture doesn't do this fish justice. Imagine where my belt would be.

Kenny

Ha, ha, that is it, the Leatherjack , huge mouth vs a Pompanos , thanks for The memories.
I've always call Trigger fish the Bluegills of the Sea of Cortez and their both darn tasty...Speaking of the of the old day's, if we had Triggers the size of yesteryear, people wouldn't complain so much about catching them. Pound for pound their just plan badass.

Last edited: