Santo Tomas Corvina and Pompano

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
I seem to be having issues posting my photos (first size, then server error). This link is from my Facebook:

Either way, here's my scoop. Arrived in ST on Monday morning and fished through Thursday. Day one was red hot, but most fish were shaker corvina. I managed to get seven keepers on my stringer in the first two hours. I likely tossed 15 or so back. It slowed a bit after that, but we hit fish off and on every day. Biggest fish around 4 pounds. We do not weigh or measure, so just a guess. The last day corvina were mostly hitting prop surface lures (woodchopper and the new zara spook like prop bait) I did land one good fish on a whopper plopper which was a first for me. The woodchopper has been consistently good over the years, including my lifetime Corvina 20 or so years ago. The bite was crazy, but very few fish managed to hood up. Mostly popping the lures out of the water. Spoons were hardly getting any hits right next to a guy working the surface. Other days spoons outdid the top water as usual. We caught aroung thirty keepable Pompano and half that many shakers. Punta Jaguey has been turned into a stinky shell midden as JJ has pointed out in another thread. PU! We caught corvina both north and south of ST. As usual a fun trip with my old friends.

We spent Sunday in Caborca. All went well except a mediocre seafood meal at El Timon. We stayed at El Jardin for 27 bucks a room. Very clean and comfortable little spot. It was 95 when we arrived at 3 pm but a great line of storms moved in dropping it to 75. We had sprinkles all evenening and a good rain at 2 am. I enjoyed my time there, but miss the dive mariscos joint by the hotel. They had great food. Next time I eat beef at La Carreta.

Old55

Well Known Member
And exchange for a plaza boss went south…they gunman trying to get the military to give him up when in fact they were being surrounded near the turn to Saric….the army kicked ass for a change,,.https://twitter.com/sanchezmares85/status/1543718003950424065?s=21&t=uB6Wrcn3VyOjBCLRidkvXQ

Last edited:

Tmecke

Kinda like Chicago. I'll take Carborca over Chicago or any other shit hole DTP city in the US.

Old55

Well Known Member
I loved watching that dude in black doing the low crawl along the curb. Kinda reminded me of a dog just hit in traffic with a broken back.

JJ
They were talking so much shit and then the bill came due! People are really excited about this all over Sonora…..screw “hugs”

Old55

Well Known Member
I seem to be having issues posting my photos (first size, then server error). This link is from my Facebook:

Either way, here's my scoop. Arrived in ST on Monday morning and fished through Thursday. Day one was red hot, but most fish were shaker corvina. I managed to get seven keepers on my stringer in the first two hours. I likely tossed 15 or so back. It slowed a bit after that, but we hit fish off and on every day. Biggest fish around 4 pounds. We do not weigh or measure, so just a guess. The last day corvina were mostly hitting prop surface lures (woodchopper and the new zara spook like prop bait) I did land one good fish on a whopper plopper which was a first for me. The woodchopper has been consistently good over the years, including my lifetime Corvina 20 or so years ago. The bite was crazy, but very few fish managed to hood up. Mostly popping the lures out of the water. Spoons were hardly getting any hits right next to a guy working the surface. Other days spoons outdid the top water as usual. We caught aroung thirty keepable Pompano and half that many shakers. Punta Jaguey has been turned into a stinky shell midden as JJ has pointed out in another thread. PU! We caught corvina both north and south of ST. As usual a fun trip with my old friends.

We spent Sunday in Caborca. All went well except a mediocre seafood meal at El Timon. We stayed at El Jardin for 27 bucks a room. Very clean and comfortable little spot. It was 95 when we arrived at 3 pm but a great line of storms moved in dropping it to 75. We had sprinkles all evenening and a good rain at 2 am. I enjoyed my time there, but miss the dive mariscos joint by the hotel. They had great food. Next time I eat beef at La Carreta.
Great report….Santo Tomas is attempting to grow bigger…..the world wide inflation crisis will end that in a 10 year pile of half finished condos…again…..on Caborc I like THE COMPA JUNIOR N BETWEEN 6 AND 7

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
Great report….Santo Tomas is attempting to grow bigger…..the world wide inflation crisis will end that in a 10 year pile of half finished condos…again…..on Caborc I like THE COMPA JUNIOR N BETWEEN 6 AND 7
Old55 I am not seeing The Compa Junior in Caborca. Did I misunderstand where you were talking about?

Old55

Well Known Member
Old55 I am not seeing The Compa Junior in Caborca. Did I misunderstand where you were talking about?
Go to Caborca Informa facebook page July 3rd morning posting….I just happened on it by luck on my way back a few weeks ago..Caborca Informa is a great source all around…..crab season has begun and the fishermen are really pissed the Alduna is messing with them coming here from the North.

Old55

Well Known Member
OK amigo, thanks for the tip. I still need a go to mariscos place in Caborca someday.
I went with the construction guys buying materials in years past so I just asked what they like now …their go to Now are Maricos el Terry and el Yaqui Blvd. Benito Juárez 239, Centro,

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Just wait until the Mexican Aduanas PLANT IT IN YOUR GEAR!

Try steppin' & fetchin' in your splanglish whilst a pair of the new state police have their real assault weapons pointed at you and your wife's heads while the so-called inspector picks through everything in your seventy five thousand dollar truck.

Cost me five hundred cash and they left the little sammich bag of ganga in our bathroom bag.

JJ

Old55

Well Known Member
Just wait until the Mexican Aduanas PLANT IT IN YOUR GEAR!

Try steppin' & fetchin' in your splanglish whilst a pair of the new state police have their real assault weapons pointed at you and your wife's heads while the so-called inspector picks through everything in your seventy five thousand dollar truck.

Cost me five hundred cash and they left the little sammich bag of ganga in our bathroom bag.

JJ
Ok a good story like that needs some details. In December the military is taking over the Alduna on the way to Santo Tomas and Puerto Lobos. I am trying to decide if that is good or bad.The Puerto Penasco fishermen ,construction guys and restaurant guys just hate that one as they mess with them about bringing bait , materials bought in R.P. or cooking supplies for events on the coast and make them go back to Sonoyta for papers.. I have never had too much trouble there myself.

Last edited:

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
On my recent trip to Santo Tomas three of us spent a lovely afternoon and evening in Caborca. I heard zero gun shots which is less than I heard last week in Paradise Valley. People were friendly and the vibe was chill. We tried the new Charolesa carne asada restaurant. Wow what a meal! I rate it almost better than La Carreta, one friend rated it better. We had a fluent English speaking server who loved half her life in Chino Valley. I still love that desert farming city despite some recent violence. This is in no way a suggestion that you should follow in my footsteps. You do you.