Santo Tomas fish camp crab

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Jerry, we had a good laugh at your friends face while eating the craps!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS: I am sure you mispelled it, maybe?

jerry

that was crab not crap...thanks man. The crab was great and worth the trip. In Tucson at the 17th street market they sell for 4.50 a LB. ouch!

They also are selling the Blue Marlin for $12.99 a lb. Go in and yell at them so aren't able to say to me "crazy man go away no one else complains"

E

El Semental

Well you have to be careful about Jerry. A very close associate has warned me that he is a commie, pinko, rat. Taking advantage of the poor working pescadoros like that and complaining about capitalistic gain proves it. :eek: :eek:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Jerry - were the crabs any good? Just curious. Being of East Coast origin, I grew up catching and eating blue crabs out of the bay in Maryland. Nothing is better! One trip to Rocky Point, I saw they had live blue crabs at the fish market and bought a couple dozen. I was extremely disappointed after I cooked them - very little meat, stringy and watery. Nowhere near what I was expecting.

jerry

Stewart they were really good. These ones were pretty big and you could get quite a bit of meat from both the claws and the area where the legs connected to the undercarrage of the poor guys.They tasted like snow crab.

B

bahiatrader

I agree with Stuart. Blue crabs were one of my favorites when I was stationed in VA. Crabs from The Sea of Cortez are OK, but the East coast variety are far superior.

Kenny

I had a real love affair with the Dungeness Crab up in Oregon and Washington. You could find vender's all over the place when they were in season. Nothing sissy about one of these Crabs and they taste wonderful with plenty of meat. I even found a way to catch them on rod and reel.
"Native to coastal waters from southern California to the Aleutians, Dungeness crab is the main commercial crab species south of Alaska, with important landings in nearly every fishing port north of Santa Barbara. It's a fairly large species, weighing about a pound and a quarter apiece in the minimum legal size (6-1/4 inches across the carapace, or upper shell) and running up to about 3 pounds"

Hey Jerry, next time I'm not going to "harass em". I'm going to eat em! :chef:

Kenny

ernesto

It's all about getting them fresh by buying them right off the boats instead of the fish market(NEVER cook dead crab) Proper preparation is also key. Overcook em for a couple minutes and they're not right. I was told alot of the processed crab is shipped to the East coast in the uppa U.S. to supplement the catch there. Best secret and by far the best seafood buy in Penasco.Anytime you can eat dinner with a hammer........

A

azbeachboy

If you like the "blue swimmers" just go to La Pinta at high tide. The pongas are loaded with them. The freezer trucks back up and weigh them and off they go to market.

B

bahiatrader

I grew up in Oregon. Dungeness crab are indeed the best there is.

B

bahiatrader

I went fishing, that's why. Just about everybody I knew had a crab pot (trap). We'd always put them out when we went fishing for salmon or bottom fish. Dungeness have a delicate delicious flavor that can't be beat.

PS Fresh, that is. When crab of any kind goes bad, it does so quickly. Some buddies of mine and I bought some steamed blue crabs off of the sport fishing pier at Virginia Beach, VA and returned to our rented bungalo to eat crabs, watch TV, and drink beer. All four of us got so sick, some of us had to puke outside, because the bathroom was occupied. I attributed it to some kind of poisoning we got from the crabs. My sister was hospitalized for some kind of a reaction to semi tainted Dungeness crab. I'm very careful about smelling and testing the texture of any crab I get from anyone else. Fresh crab should have almost no odor at all, and the plates on the underneath side should be firm, and spring back quickly when you squeeze them. To me, they have to have a "fresh look" to them. Most importantly, it helps to know who you get it from. Canned or commercially frozen crab meat is way better than the semi fresh variety.