Santo Tomas Fish Report for September 10th

capt. k

As previously posted (/10 was a perfect day. Smooth as glass. Using Diamond Jigs we caught three big White Sea Bass (50-60lbs) and four Gulf Grouper (up to 20lbs). We also lost four big grouper that took us down to the rocks and sawed up the 80lb flourocarbon leaders we use. Having trouble differentiating between Totuoba and White Sea Bass. I am posting three pictures from Sarurday's catch plus a picture earlier this year of a smaller White Sea Bass. First how do you tell the difference? Second, when we get these guys up from 225 feet their air bladders are out their mouth. Letting them go would amount to killing them. Heard about poking a hole in the air bladder or sinking it 10 feet with a pole, but I doubt the fish will live. Third, what would happen if I am checked by the authorities? Someone told me you are now allowed three per day. If these fish are endangered there are a lot of them off the reefs of Santo Tomas. Some days we catch more White Sea Bass than grouper.Large White Sea Bass.jpg small white sea bass.JPG mauled grouper.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

YumaJames

I was always told the easiest way to differentiate between a WSB and a totoaba is their caudal (rear) fin. The caudal fin on a WSB has a slight inward bend to it, the caudal fin on a totoaba is flat or has a slight outward bend. Google WSB or totoaba and look at their caudal fins and you'll see the difference. Totoaba are more green, WSB are more white. See what others say, but, referring to the guy in the yellow shorts in the top left pic, looks to me like he's holding a totoaba.

In regards to reviving a fish once their swim bladder has protruded, I've looked at various products online and watched some Youtube videos, and once you bring em up, especially from deep water, there's nothing you can do to revive em.

As for being checked by the authoritis, I've been fishing RP for three years now and still haven't been stopped.

And most importantly, great pics!!!

Last edited:

Kelney

YJ is correct about the tail. Google pics of WSB vs Totouava and you will easily see the difference. Kind of like a belly button, an inny is good, outy bad. That being said your first pic although I am sure is a WSB, I would probably remove the pic;) An effective way I understand is to rig like a 5-10lb weight to a large barbless hook, attach said weight/hook to the upper lip of the fish and attach your line around the hook itself. Send the fish and weight over board and the fish will sink. Once it goes down then at an appropriate depth give your rod a big yank and the hook should remove itself. I have not done this myself as I usually don't have the problem of catching to many large fish unfortunately.

Hey Capt. K....

The fish that you are holding on your patio is 100% Totoaba with $1000.00 worth of swim bladder hanging out of his maw.

I wrote a fairly simple explanation of the differences between the White Sea Bass and the Totoaba back on 30 June 16, you might scroll back to it.

The most easily observed difference between the two fish is the well defined raised line of hard sharp scales running the length of the belly on all WSB and never on the Big T. The tail shape is sometimes kinda iffy.

No one is allowed to take ANY Totoaba at any time as per Mexican law. You might consider removing all photos that you have posted showing any Totoaba as you are showing criminal evidence right there in your hands.

Don't be surprised if and when you get a meeting with the Sea Shepard gals with the Mexican Marines tagging along.

JJ

AZRob

Hey Capt. K....

The fish that you are holding on your patio is 100% Totoaba with $1000.00 worth of swim bladder hanging out of his maw.

I wrote a fairly simple explanation of the differences between the White Sea Bass and the Totoaba back on 30 June 16, you might scroll back to it.

The most easily observed difference between the two fish is the well defined raised line of hard sharp scales running the length of the belly on all WSB and never on the Big T. The tail shape is sometimes kinda iffy.

No one is allowed to take ANY Totoaba at any time as per Mexican law. You might consider removing all photos that you have posted showing any Totoaba as you are showing criminal evidence right there in your hands.

Don't be surprised if and when you get a meeting with the Sea Shepard gals with the Mexican Marines tagging along.

JJ

I dont think that fish would live if you let it go.

It's called incidental "by catch" or "collateral kill"..........

White Sea Bass and Black Sea Bass are commonly caught and released off of Southern California and sent back to the depths after puncturing their gas filled swim bladders with a large syringe or turkey injector.

All party boat operators and most sport boats practice this with the full approval of the California Fish and Game.

Tight lines and bloody decks...

JJ

Kenny

I was always told the easiest way to differentiate between a WSB and a totoaba is their caudal (rear) fin. The caudal fin on a WSB has a slight inward bend to it, the caudal fin on a totoaba is flat or has a slight outward bend. Google WSB or totoaba and look at their caudal fins and you'll see the difference. Totoaba are more green, WSB are more white. See what others say, but, referring to the guy in the yellow shorts in the top left pic, looks to me like he's holding a totoaba.

In regards to reviving a fish once their swim bladder has protruded, I've looked at various products online and watched some Youtube videos, and once you bring em up, especially from deep water, there's nothing you can do to revive em.

As for being checked by the authoritis, I've been fishing RP for three years now and still haven't been stopped.

And most importantly, great pics!!!
"See what others say, but, referring to the guy in the yellow shorts in the top left pic, looks to me like he's holding a totoaba". No question it's a T Bass with at least one on the table as well.

Hey Yuma J..................

I've been fishing RP for thirty five years now and been stopped twice. Both times it was by the PT boats that are usually docked in the harbor. Both times we were down by Desemboque maybe forty miles out trolling for DoDo's. They came up on us at attack speed with twin 50 cals trained on us. They boarded the boat, looked in the cabin, asked for a few cervesas, said adios and left. I think the only thing they were really interested in was a cold beer and a closer look at some bikini clad Gringa girls with big white ChiChi's!

They never asked for any documents to include fishing permits. That area is a hot zone for drug transport. We will be out there on the hunt next weekend as my DoDo supply in the deep freeze is lookin pretty thin.

Bent rods and smokin reels.........

JJ

It also looks like the ventral fins have a diffewrent shape. WSB having a more triangelaral shepe with a point and not the rounded end