Santo Tomas Surfcasting

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
I just returned from Santo Tomas and boy are my arms tired! My only complaint about the three days of fishing me and 7 buddies had was the size of the Corvina. Most were running from 10 to 14 inches and slim. We managed to bag 20 to 30 keeper fish each day, some Corvina and some Pompano. There were some good sized Pomps this trip. We started just north of the big point (Pico de Gavilan to the locals) the first day and picked up a few decent fish. We worked back to the house to meet up with our friends who arrived mid morning on Friday. By this time we noticed a bait pod pinned against the shore just north of the northern most house. We drove up with the whole crew in two trucks and it was on! It was almost impossible to reel a spoon back without at least one hit from that point till sunset. As the bait ambled south we kept leap frogging it one car at a time. We found the same pattern each of the three days and never made it south of the point you can still see the houses. We usually end up driving more and looking for signs of fish, but they made it real easy this time. A big swirling splashing pod of bait with pelicans and terns working it is as close to a sure thing as you can get surf casting.

IMG_5640.jpgIMG_5643.jpgIMG_5645.jpgIMG_5646.jpgIMG_5622.jpgIMG_5628.jpgIMG_5629.jpgIMG_5631.jpgIMG_5639.jpg

Each of those buckets full of fish is from a different day by the way. See the lunker I caught in the fifth picture? :cool:

jerry

Wow....should of had you stick a few in my freezer! Did you get any eclipse pictures? Tom has great knowledge of this area from growing up with a dad that liked to do stuff.I'm telling my younger friends now is the time to come down when your kids are young and just naturally pick up outdoor skills.Later in life they can amaze their city slicker boy or girlfriends by getting the little outboard going,tying knots,making fires,cleaning fish and open bottles with seashells.Tom also has the great sun dodging apparel!

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
Hey Jerry! I dress to impress. I would be happy to throw some in the freezer next time if the fishing is that good! I did have a great Dad who took me fishing in places that could easily kill us if we were not careful. Just getting to Santo Tomas was a challenge when I was 18! I learned a lot from him, and just kept experimenting and learning from there. I have fished all over the world, and Santo Tomas surf casting is still my favorite.