Sea of Cortez Fish Photos 2017

jerry

ja ja ja trump at work where did these posters with 1000 posts that I never saw before come from good work there stuart
Roberto what I don't get is what Stewart gets out of vouching and providing a platform for this crew of racist, sexist, hate speech slinging Texans ( at least they act like Texans).They know nothing about this side of Mexico,hate Mexicans and often degrade it's workers lured to the USA. In his professional life this could be a mistake for our slightly unsophisticated leader.

Attachments

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Roberto what I don't get is what Stewart gets out of vouching and providing a platform for this crew of racist, sexist, hate speech slinging Texans ( at least they act like Texans).They know nothing about this side of Mexico,hate Mexicans and often degrade it's workers lured to the USA. In his professional life this could be a mistake for our slightly unsophisticated leader.
How accepting and welcoming of you, Jerry! Of course, your myopic view of the world and everything that is corrupt and wrong with Mexico is the only one that matters.

I find it odd that the only one talking smack in this thread about anyone's personal beliefs, racism, etc. is you. Everyone else seems to just enjoy some great fishing pictures.

Feel free to stab away at me all you like. I'm rubber, you're glue... blah-blah.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Those are some awesome fish.

Do you do much fishing for pelagics, Shawn?
I know you asked Shawn, but fishing out of Penasco is mostly bottom fishing, out on the deeper reefs. We do get some sailfish and dorado, occasional marlin, now through July. But they are few and far between most years. In other words, you can do a whole lot of trolling, but not a lot of catching, other than running across the occasional school of black skipjack or bonita. I'm one of the idiots that will actually go out when it's hot, put out a five line trolling spread, and boat ride looking for patches of sargasso or good purple water to troll. It gets too damned hot to anchor up and crank on the big boys from deep. Shawn is a jigging animal. He'll jig all day long, heat or cold.

About 300 miles south out of San Carlos, marlin, tuna, sails, and dorado are the name of the game all summer. Much deeper water. Some good billfish tournaments, too.

audsley

Sargasso. Hmmm... A diver tells me big fish (grouper) like to lay up under mats of seaweed (sargasso), but trolling through that mess stops the boat when I have to remove seaweed from my lure. I'm assuming the trick is to troll close to seaweed patches but not through them. Easier said than done. And I can't imagine doing that with five lines out. Seems like you'd be towing a bunch of sargasso before long. Any tricks to it?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Sargasso. Hmmm... A diver tells me big fish (grouper) like to lay up under mats of seaweed (sargasso), but trolling through that mess stops the boat when I have to remove seaweed from my lure. I'm assuming the trick is to troll close to seaweed patches but not through them. Easier said than done. And I can't imagine doing that with five lines out. Seems like you'd be towing a bunch of sargasso before long. Any tricks to it?
Like your assumption, yes, troll along the edges of the big patches. Often, they will form up on a current break or tide line, which makes it easier. Don't forget, I'm trolling far out there, not close to shore and I'm running two of the lines off 18 ft. outriggers. The grouper may lay up under them close to shore because they hold all kinds of life, but I've never seen that out in the blue water. Too deep.

Also keep in mind I'm using single hook big game skirted trolling lures, not Rapalas or anything with a treble hook. They do occasionally foul with sargasso if you troll it right through a big paddy or dense area, but most of the time the lures run very clean, shedding off the sargasso as they go.

We have found paddies as big as a VW bus out there and those are the motherload for dorado. Often, a whole school will lay up under it and you can make multiple passes on it, getting a fish each time.

jerry

How accepting and welcoming of you, Jerry! Of course, your myopic view of the world and everything that is corrupt and wrong with Mexico is the only one that matters.

I find it odd that the only one talking smack in this thread about anyone's personal beliefs, racism, etc. is you. Everyone else seems to just enjoy some great fishing pictures.

Feel free to stab away at me all you like. I'm rubber, you're glue... blah-blah.
just trying to help...better photo techniques are always helpful...you keeping out of trouble was my intention in this comment...

Never seen a Grouper under a Sargasso patty in the Sea of Cortez. Solamente Dorado, Yellowtail and various Sharks. Always fun to slowly coast up on one to check out the thousands of juvenile fish that call the patty their home for the first few months of their lives. Always a thrill to drop a spoon into the blue black depths below one and get a rod bending strike on the first free fall drop.

As for me the only boat fishing that I do is on the troll, unless I locate a Sargasso patty, garbage filled current line or floating junk offshore. I usually get all of the fish I need trolling deep diving plugs along the shorelines of La Cholla, Isla San Jorge and the outlying rock reefs connected to those spots. Sometimes I'll use my downriggers or put out a deep diving planer to skim the tops of the shallower offshore spots and yank up a keeper. Dropping 100 to 600 feet of anchor line and chain is something I'd rather not even think about, especialy when its 99 degrees and 99% humidity out, and I never shut down my Yamies EVER!! Last summer I decided to stop dealing with my 18' outriggers and five trolled jigs when I got instantly hit on all five and lost all five in the tangle. A big bull California Sea Lion had been following me for an hour or more and had a leisurely feast while I was picking at monofilament and stripped reels.

So, whatever happened to "Coyote" with his ungodly expensively outfitted 40' red Mako? I haven't seen him in well over a year. That guy used to bring some big hauls of huge Groupers and White Sea Bass from the fifty mile and beyond reefs. Salvador from the marina told me that that boat really scoots out there at 50mph. or better.

JJ

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Last I heard, Coyote was getting another boat. But let's face it... he ain't a young man. Had lots of money and could throw it at raping the 51, which he would do often.

Same with some other folks that had that big blue hull Century. A beautiful boat, but age caught up with them. Last time I saw it, it looked like crap and had props stripped off it and such. Shame. Couple of other boats like that at Safe Marine. Horsin' Around. Big ol' Whaler my buddy Mark bought and brought up from SanCarlos. Haven't heard from him or seen it moved in a few years now.

My buddy Dan McCauley sold his nice little boat, the Josephina, before he passed from cancer last August.

Ain't none of us getting any younger.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I will add that I had the ride of a lifetime fishing wahoo off a 36' Yellowfin with trip 350 Yammies out of Fourchon, LA this past Feb. That sucker would run nearly 70 in the slop. Unbelievable fast and smooth ride.

I'm just a po boy... I'll keep my ProKat at this point. While the lust for a big CC with trips or quads is there, I ain't got a quarter mil plus to spend on a new one. Hell, there's days I kick my self in the ass for ever selling my old aluminum Baja Bayrunner. That boat slayed a lot of fish.

Last edited:

Kelney

Last I heard, Coyote was getting another boat. But let's face it... he ain't a young man. Had lots of money and could throw it at raping the 51, which he would do often.

Same with some other folks that had that big blue hull Century. A beautiful boat, but age caught up with them. Last time I saw it, it looked like crap and had props stripped off it and such. Shame. Couple of other boats like that at Safe Marine. Horsin' Around. Big ol' Whaler my buddy Mark bought and brought up from SanCarlos. Haven't heard from him or seen it moved in a few years now.

My buddy Dan McCauley sold his nice little boat, the Josephina, before he passed from cancer last August.

Ain't none of us getting any younger.
I am saddened to hear that Dan passed away. I was wondering why he had not posted in a while. but appears many of the old timers rarely post any more. I remember years ago when he bought his boat and posted it about it.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I am saddened to hear that Dan passed away. I was wondering why he had not posted in a while. but appears many of the old timers rarely post any more. I remember years ago when he bought his boat and posted it about it.
Dan was a character, could be the worst guy you ever wanted to fish with at times, barking orders and such. But, he loved to fish and loved that boat, even though he was prone to seasickness. I was very sorry to learn that he had passed, too.

Facebook sucked away many of the regular posters from here. There's two or three pretty active groups on Facebook. I would say it was the infighting here that drove them away, but it wasn't. How do I know? They do the same damned things to each other over there!