Sea of Cortez Grouper- population and biology research and resources

wishamako1

Well Known Member
I know I have not fished for a while but a couple of years ago I was at Safe Marina and Arturo called out to me to show me that they were loading a semi with grouper, they had over 200 to 300 grouper in the truck and a pickup showed up with another bunch, we catch grouper and its not a drop in the bucket compared to what the pangueros take, let the tournament continue, its problably someone who cant catch them thats complaining

Robert-your info is spot on from what I have seen. There are no red snappers for several years now, they used to be abundant!

Here are some numbers for you on the comercial take that I have personally witnessed in Lobos. Three years ago in the spring a fleet of sardine boats came into Lobos. One of their skiffs (the small boat launched from the mother ship that runs a giant net around a school of fish) broke down and washed into the estuary, we went to help and talked to the fisherman, they told me these facts. There were fourteen ships in the fleet each one could hold 100 tons of sardines. They fished for five days around the clock within sight of my house. The crew members told me they would fill the boat in one or two passes with the net and head for Guaymas to off load then come right back for another load.

Two winters ago 200 pangas came to Lobos and caught squid for at least six weeks-when I was there during Christmas the big semi trucks were being loaded around the clock-there was an average of ten trucks lined up on the main road. This winter was a total bust on the squid catch.

This spring was the best yellowtail run I have ever seen in Lobos-huge boils, all big fish. The pangas would encircle the whole school with a big net. Sometimes they caught just a few, sometimes they they loaded the panga.

Last year the locals started catching a lot of halibut in their nets-a few days later the shrimp boats(?) all started netting the area, I watched them go over and over the same few square miles, it lasted about a week and then the halibut were gone.

This is the way it is on the Sea of Cortez.

The sport fishing catch is a but a small percentage of the commercial harvest.

Keep the info coming-education and communication are good for all.

joester

2 salty dawgs
where we have not caught a grouper yet, we do support sport fishing as a great way to help support the economy. too bad commercial fishermen all over the world do not respect the fish as we do - incidental by-catch kills far more fish than sport-fishing. enjoyed the grouper reading - thank you.
"limit your kill, don't kill your limit" is our mantra.
tight lines y'all :)

jerry

Well Known Member
image.jpg ..Scott who has a house at Santo Tomas and launches his 18 foot boat with A 40 hp Nissan from the beach with his truck "la bomba" has been catching some pretty nice ones this year. Have to come up with some trade goods....

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
View attachment 6039 ..Scott who has a house at Santo Tomas and launches his 18 foot boat with A 40 hp Nissan from the beach with his truck "la bomba" has been catching some pretty nice ones this year. Have to come up with some trade goods....

That old Blazer is one sweeeeeeeet machine.

I once owned a Blue '72 K5 Blazer that I sold 20 years ago and I have regretted it ever since.