Sea Ray

Well it looks as the BOAT is a no go. All the work and effort and the mechanic now tells me the bill will be in the two thousand range. It is not worth it! What a bummer ! It seems I have invested in a open pit for dollars. I think I will just give up on it and see if I can sell for a few bucks to recoop what I have put into it. He tells me the upper part of the outdrive has a crack plus all the other stuff.

Kelney

That is terrible news. Have you thought about just replacing the outdrive with a second hand one? Sinking more money in an OMC outdrive is like stuffing money down a rat hole.... so I have heard. Find out what is compatible (Merc, Volvo, etc.) and take a look on ebay for something. Also there are some real crappy boats in which you may pick one up for cheap and just buy it for the outdrive, if it is in decent condition. I have one that is parked next to my boat in a storage facility in Tempe/Guadalupe that looks like a parts special.

But then again, you may just want to quit before you continue to spend good money after bad on a boat that does not fit your entire needs.

Jim

So Sorry. Been there done that. Hope you can make the best of it. You know... Lemonade out of lemmons... :roll:

Isn't a boat a "hole in the ocean that you pour money into"???? or is that just a sailboat??? :roll: :roll:

I just had to take one of my jetskis to the dealer....it died last weekend out on the water.....with fuel injection and computer controlled....I'm dreading the bill!!!

B

bahiatrader

I heard a rumor that Sea Rays were bad for screws vibrating loose. You might look on eBay for outdrives or parts. I've sold two outdrives (upper and lower units separately) on eBay. The cracked housing is probably a goner. I had my brother, who has a degree in applied metalurgy (welding), weld one up for me. When I ask him how much it would cost in a shop, he said most shops wouldn't even attempt it. I paid him by taking him salmon fishing and crabbing out of Coos Bay, Oregon. We came home with bottom fish, salmon, and Dungeness crab. I know that's a hell of a price to pay, but as far as I know, the outdrive is still working.

I was wondering about removing the eng. and outdrive unit. closing up the whole and going to an outboard. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Do you think I could use the old controlls ?
At least if I did this I could move the eng to a new boat later.
Does anone know of a motor mount assy that would attach to the transom on the outside ?

B

bahiatrader

I think the housings are some kind of magnesium alloy. I once considered changing my i/o to an outboard. Depending on the configuration of your transom, there's a lot of structural and body work involved changing over. I don't know how that would affect the handling and performance. I opted to keep my i/o with a 15 hp. kicker on a retractable mount beside it.

Kelney

Bill
I do not really think it would be cost effective and worthwhile to do such a conversion. However, if you feel inclined, it can be done but you would need new controls. Check this link out.
http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/check ... ation.html
Amongst a million other things, he converted his boat to an outboard and there are pics and an explanation on what he did. Good luck to you on whatever you decide. It sucks looking at the ocean and not having a boat of your own to get out on it.

I'm not a marine engineer, but I would not expect that magnesium alloy would be used in a marine environment. Far too much corrosion potential I would think. Probably one of the special aluminum alloys developed for low corrosion in marine-like environments. I would expect it would weld pretty easily, but you may need to be careful with distortion, and impact on mechanical properties if it is heat treated.

B

bahiatrader

I remember my brother talking about distortion, and tensile strength, but I really don't know dinkum about it. If I ever had any tricky welding to do, I took it to him. He worked in the metal trades, went to school and got a doctorate in applied metalurgy which is just a fancy name for welding. If he wanted to go hunting or fishing, it was usually with me. All the old farmers around where I lived used to save all their difficult or tricky welds if they knew Mike was coming to see me. Why should I learn about welding. I don't know what the alloy was, but I think I remember him mentioning magnesium. I'm sure someone could look it up on the internet.
I hope you do the right thing with your boat, Bill. Been there, done that. Good luck. If I knew then, what I know now, I'd have gone in hock for a new boat just the way I wanted it, and driven the same old car until it was paid off. That might be an option to consider. Buenos suerte

don

Hi Bill,
I just read your post and my mouth dropped. You've put so much time and $ into this boat that it would be a shame to scrap it. The older Sea Rays are excellent boats (I've had Ray's and still do). If you can get me the hull ID # off the stern (starboard side) and I see what I can find for you. Is your boat in Phx.?

BTW, Outdrives casings can be welded!

They make replacement skegs and plates... My fishing buddy (who is a certified welder at NAU, is going to add replacement ears to my cavitation plate. So, depending on where the crack is, all may not be lost. And there is the possibility of an transplant.

Sure would hate to see the boat scrapped...

Hi Don
Thanks for the info. I am also taking the boat to another mechanic that is a lot better than the fellow who said it was cracked. This other fellow, Jeff, has done work for me in tha past and I know he has a lot more experience. He just gotten back from Michigan where he spends his Summer. His comment is that the casting line many times looks like a crack and is not. He also said he may have a spare in his back yard. If it is cracked would your friend be willing to weld it for me ?
If all else failes my son has offered to provide the $ for the repair but it will be at least 40 days untill his crop payment comes in. One way or the other I still may have a boat.
Some times you step in a pile of shit only to use it for beautiful roses.

don

My buddy has said he would help out anyone on the forum I recommend. We'd have to bring your boat to Flagstaff. He might want to head out with you some day if we're down there at the same time. But then again, he only goes when I go, and I'll have my boat. How long will you be in RP? I'm thinking about making a trip down with the boat if I can scrape up gas $. I figure it'll cost about $250.00 for the vehicle/boat round trip.

Hi Don
It is likley we will not be going back until thanksgiving. Ladyjeepster is having a party in San Rafaell Rv park on Thanksgiving and we will be going to that. Our thought is to go down on am of 26 and stay for a week. I am in hopes that all goes well with the new mechanic and we will have the Sea Ray and not my little tin boat. We had the tin boat down last time and it did much better than I thought. The only problem is a lower transum bu it does have a splash well. It is a Deep V Tracker Targa 17 with a 60 Yamaha 4 stroke.
Tell your friend thanks and I may need his help.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Bill,
Chuck is the one having the party in San Rafael RV Park. I'm sure he will post up more info soon.
Chari