Sea wall damage in LC

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
I know a lot of physics (a whole lot) but I’d want to look at the property or at least some good photos to opine. I’ve done some marine and coastal work on the side. “Breakwaters“ commonly result in a scalloped pattern on a beach with sand building up on one side and being depleted on the other. This sounds like a concrete boat ramp or walkway. Certainly could have focused some wave energy and changed the location of the break a little. In the US something like this would probably go to litigation, and then you would get expert reports from the parties. Also in the US you wouldn’t get permitting for this except maybe Florida.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I keep wondering of the 'pier' the guy built contributed to the damage. Seems to me a sandy beach would slow the flowing water a lot more than a smooth concrete surface. the flat smooth pier might have been like a raceway for the incoming tidal waves pushing the water to the sea wall and the home. If a hole was poked in the sea wall it was all over. Any hydrologists engineers or physics people comment ??
Look at the third photo down. I know that wall. I thought it was creatively built and super rugged. It has lasted many many years. But notice that the water was behind it and so the waves had to be big enough to force huge amounts of water into the yard. That back pressure against the wall probably exploded it from the inside out. I have another picture of nothing but a pile of rubble no walls to be found. The sea walls were installed to extend the living space of the home owners effectively getting rid of the dunes below the house, the concrete and plastic is no match for an angry sea.

fatboyharley

Well Known Member
I keep wondering of the 'pier' the guy built contributed to the damage. Seems to me a sandy beach would slow the flowing water a lot more than a smooth concrete surface. the flat smooth pier might have been like a raceway for the incoming tidal waves pushing the water to the sea wall and the home. If a hole was poked in the sea wall it was all over. Any hydrologists engineers or physics people comment ??
I have not been down to see the damage but I do hope the "pier" was eliminated

Roberto

Well Known Member
I think the second picture down shows the stairs that led down to the so called Pier. If you look at the biggest damage to the house the stairs lead right up to that area. And yes the pier was more the size of a walkway between the boats at a small marina and not at all tall. I thought quite close to the sand on the beach. there would have beenwater at the pier very infrequently and only at a fair tide so it's not clear what was hoped to be accomplished. Certainly could not use it to tie up a boat. Maybe a nice place to sit if you hate to get sandy!!

I have not been down to see the damage but I do hope the "pier" was eliminated
Seems possible the house has been eliminated !!

Roberto

Well Known Member
From that 3rd pic it appears that the blue lower, maybe older, part was not sufficiently attached to the upper , maybe newer part. It collapsed all along the top of that lower part in a straight line. Interesting how it left the bridge across the top and just blew out the middle. .

fatboyharley

Well Known Member
I think the second picture down shows the stairs that led down to the so called Pier. If you look at the biggest damage to the house the stairs lead right up to that area. And yes the pier was more the size of a walkway between the boats at a small marina and not at all tall. I thought quite close to the sand on the beach. there would have beenwater at the pier very infrequently and only at a fair tide so it's not clear what was hoped to be accomplished. Certainly could not use it to tie up a boat. Maybe a nice place to sit if you hate to get sandy!!

Seems possible the house has been eliminated !!
Owner is a contractor of high end homes in Scottsdale you would have thought he would have known better

Roberto

Well Known Member
Odd and interesting side note to the storm the beach out near the end of sec 9 was covered with hundreds of shells, the lemon sized ones with a pink interior. Sec 5 nearby has nary a one.

Kenny

Well Known Member
Merely sharing what I know, regardless of predictable censorship, which does not faze me.
I was sent to the bench one time in all the years I've been on our forums, and that was because I stated that Stuart was a climate change denier. He said it was political, but after he set me down for two weeks he proceeded to expound on the subject himself and how he was not a "denier". That was fine with me and again. I've never gone crying to Stuart about anyone, ever.

Maduro steve

Well Known Member
I was sent to the bench one time in all the years I've been on our forums, and that was because I stated that Stuart was a climate change denier. He said it was political, but after he set me down for two weeks he proceeded to expound on the subject himself and how he was not a "denier". That was fine with me and again. I've never gone crying to Stuart about anyone, ever.

Maduro steve

Well Known Member
when in doubt follow the money , that's why we got out of the Paris climate acord. Climate has been changing for millions of years and will be for millions more . It's a money grab .

Kenny

Well Known Member
when in doubt follow the money , that's why we got out of the Paris climate acord. Climate has been changing for millions of years and will be for millions more . It's a money grab .
You have one thing right and one thing only. Yes, you can follow the money, and it goes straight to big oil.

Once the houses leveled the sand dunes in front of their houses 30 years ago they set in motion beach erosion that only accelerates. Once the sand has moved the currents will begin to channel even more. It’s important on any coastline to protect the dunes to keep erosion under under control. Rebuilding the dunes is a long term process most people don’t own their homes long enough to see progress! The secret- protect the vegetation and the existing dunes will grow!