Sea wall damage in LC

mondone

Whitecaps
Once the houses leveled the sand dunes in front of their houses 30 years ago they set in motion beach erosion that only accelerates. Once the sand has moved the currents will begin to channel even more. It’s important on any coastline to protect the dunes to keep erosion under under control. Rebuilding the dunes is a long term process most people don’t own their homes long enough to see progress! The secret- protect the vegetation and the existing dunes will grow!
Yes, and those in Estero Morua are still hauling in boulders for breakfronts at their waterline this week in spite of the Federal zone officials warning them not to. They too caused other homes damage last week to those who did not have any artificial breakfronts in front.

marybna

Well Known Member
I grew up in Kailua HI on the beach. 50 yrs ago my parents gave up and moved off the beach. You just could not win. Shifting tides, winds, storms. One day it was no longer worth it.

Roberto

Well Known Member
If you look at the picture, the white house to the right has a sea wall that appears to be significantly higher than the adjoining 3 story house that had a sea wall failure. Cannot tell much about he other house since there is not much sea wall left to look at. I think the standard height for safety has risen.

marybna

Well Known Member
Anyone have pictures I can share? I used to own there when I was younger. Not on the ocean but the wind and sand damage could get really bad.

rplarry

Well Known Member
Any reports from last night ??

Tide was very high, and wind surge made for a nasty high tide with crushing waves against beachfront homes.

wondering if there was any additional damage ?

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Any reports from last night ??

Tide was very high, and wind surge made for a nasty high tide with crushing waves against beachfront homes.

wondering if there was any additional damage ?
I haven't heard anything, the day to watch for is this Thursday, we expect up to 50 mph winds and this morning at 8 am was the new moon phase so the tides are extreme for a few more days...wind and high tides....who knows what lays in store?

rplarry

Well Known Member
I haven't heard anything, the day to watch for is this Thursday, we expect up to 50 mph winds and this morning at 8 am was the new moon phase so the tides are extreme for a few more days...wind and high tides....who knows what lays in store?
anybody have any new updates from the Thanksgiving storm, with high wind and tides?

Any additional or new sea wall damage in LC?

Roberto

Well Known Member
Talked to a guy who lives on Sandy Beach in a condo who said that many condos had windows blown out from the high winds.

wendell

If you look at the picture, the white house to the right has a sea wall that appears to be significantly higher than the adjoining 3 story house that had a sea wall failure. Cannot tell much about he other house since there is not much sea wall left to look at. I think the standard height for safety has risen.
The science on seawalls was settled 40-50 years ago: Build a seawall----lose your beach. It is just common sense that if you put a wall that has moving water constantly hitting up against it, the sand is eroded away. As someone stated, the way to preserve the beach is to preserve the dunes with their native plants. The same mistake LC made is being repeated in Estero Morua