Search for marg mix

Ok forum friends!

I am on a search or more of a mission. All I can find in the stores is the Jose Cuervo margarita mix but I want something better. I like the big jug of mix that they always have in the boats when we go out but I cannot find it in any stores I've been to. I am clearly missing a wonderful secret liquor store.

Any ideas where I can find something good for margs at home?

When and if I drink margaritas, I make mine from scratch. Good blanco Tequila, fresh lime and Cointreau.
Shaken or stirred. ;)
I also like the list that Playaperro linked.

Yes.... I have heard that the lime-aide method is quite tasty too. You guys are making me home sick :(

Last edited:
The only good margarita -- unless you are a spring-breaker or still like those Kool-Aid-style drinks -- is a fresh margarita with quality liquor. After over a decade of Mexico-house-test-kitchen trials with lots and lots of voters over time, here is the hands-down-winning, not-for-kids margarita (serves 4-6):

6 oz Reposado tequila (Patron or other extra-special quality)
6 oz Cointreau
6 oz Fresh-squeezed lime juice
1 TBSP (fruit) liqueur
1-1/4 oz Sweet agave nectar
shaved ice

Combine all liquid ingredients, whisking slightly to ensure that agave nectar is dissolved. Add (at least 1 cup) shaved ice, margarita and lime wedge to each (salt-rimmed) glass.

joester

2 salty dawgs
Southbeacher -
I like your recipe, very similar to mine, with a couple revisions:
I use a reposado tequila with a bit more "bite" than a Patron - Cassadores is one favorite, or Corralejo. in a pinch, Sauza Hornitos will work pretty well when making it by the gallon. I do prefer Grand Marnier to Cointreau, but it can be a bit pricey unless you get a good deal. I have not checked lately, but the Mexico version of Cointreau - Controy - in the green bottle, is a less expensive option when in Mexico. The sweet agave nectar is a key item - I get mine at Michigan Market - about 4 bucks/liter.
I have experimented over the years - mango, guava, pomegranate - you name the tropical fruit - we've mixed them all.
Currently, I just like to sip Corazon reposado, and have been skipping the margaritas.
now I have a hankering for a batch today..... happy hour Friday....sounds great!

Southbeacher -
I like your recipe, very similar to mine, with a couple revisions:
I use a reposado tequila with a bit more "bite" than a Patron - Cassadores is one favorite, or Corralejo. in a pinch, Sauza Hornitos will work pretty well when making it by the gallon. I do prefer Grand Marnier to Cointreau, but it can be a bit pricey unless you get a good deal. I have not checked lately, but the Mexico version of Cointreau - Controy - in the green bottle, is a less expensive option when in Mexico. The sweet agave nectar is a key item - I get mine at Michigan Market - about 4 bucks/liter.
I have experimented over the years - mango, guava, pomegranate - you name the tropical fruit - we've mixed them all.
Currently, I just like to sip Corazon reposado, and have been skipping the margaritas.
now I have a hankering for a batch today..... happy hour Friday....sounds great!
Yep. Grand Marnier is even more golden than Cointreau. The object is to steer from the usual triple sec. As for Controy -- we also did a test-kitchen comparison on that. All agreed that it was not as smooth as Cointreau. But it works. (Oh . . . the sacrifices we have made in the test kitchen over the years, for the betterment of all!) :cool:

playaperro

El Pirata
I once won a margarita brewing in Cholla and I used el presidente tequila, Mexican controy in the green bottle, and some premix I bought in town, however I think it was the amount of tequila I used. Is Patron available in Penasco now?

The only good margarita -- unless you are a spring-breaker or still like those Kool-Aid-style drinks -- is a fresh margarita with quality liquor. After over a decade of Mexico-house-test-kitchen trials with lots and lots of voters over time, here is the hands-down-winning, not-for-kids margarita (serves 4-6):

6 oz Reposado tequila (Patron or other extra-special quality)
6 oz Cointreau
6 oz Fresh-squeezed lime juice
1 TBSP (fruit) liqueur
1-1/4 oz Sweet agave nectar
shaved ice

Combine all liquid ingredients, whisking slightly to ensure that agave nectar is dissolved. Add (at least 1 cup) shaved ice, margarita and lime wedge to each (salt-rimmed) glass.

Great mix. I am partial to making mine with the Blanco as it lends a stronger Tequila bite.
I like to save my Reposado for sipping from a ice cold whiskey glass.

JayT

I'm a big fan of Costco's Kirkland Premium Margarita mix with real lime juice and cane sugar. Simply Lime is a great alternative too. And, I also agree with the other posters that Gran Marnier tastes much better than Cointreau in Margaritas.

I'm a big fan of Costco's Kirkland Premium Margarita mix with real lime juice and cane sugar. Simply Lime is a great alternative too. And, I also agree with the other posters that Gran Marnier tastes much better than Cointreau in Margaritas.
And the Kirkland Silver 100% Agave Tequila isn't bad either for the price.

So I love a good fresh lime marg but I'm looking a "better" big batch mix. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

you have to be careful on how big a batch of premix you make. Unless you are going to kill it off in one or two days, it could get a little funky.
You could hit up some of the better Mexican restaurants around the valley and see what they have to say

you have to be careful on how big a batch of premix you make. Unless you are going to kill it off in one or two days, it could get a little funky.
You could hit up some of the better Mexican restaurants around the valley and see what they have to say
I won't kill in a day by myself but my friends on the beach help!
Around the valley? You mean in Phoenix....or is there a valley in RP I have been missing?