Semana Santa = CRAZY

We have been going to RP since 1980 fairly regularly (4 to 5 times a year). Our extended family owns a small house in Cholla Bay but now we usually stay on Sandy Beach. Somehow in all this time we have never been to RP during Semana Santa and after this past weekend I know why. I have never seen so much craziness in RP in my life. Spring break, even in the haydays wasn't even close. We saw people (not just 1 or 2, but many) driving on the wrong side of the divided road in front of the beach condo's. The entire Malecon was shut down to any car traffic Sat night. There are normally rules at the condos that after 11 music shold be turned down, it NEVER stopped all night etc etc.

My being the eternal optomist thought "well, at least the merchants, restaurants etc are making money"...nope, most of them shut down (Boobar, Wrecked at rthe reef, etc). We went to Playa Bonita for happy hour and the parking lot was PACKED. It reminded us of the old days and we thought we'd have a hard time getting a table. Nope, when we got to the patio there was only one other couple there but the beach was packed. Twice Satrday we saw people layed out in the medians on the street in from of the Sandy Beach condos after ATV's and cars met (Hey, a bright spot, the ATV rental places had to have made a ton).

By Sunday things calmed down and relaxed and all in all we had a great time as always, but for me Smana Santa translates to "stay at home and go next weekend"..lol

I'm chuckling as I read your apt description. That said, I really like Semana Santa for the very same reason.

If you want to temporarily tune into another universe's wavelength there's no better time and place. And I dig that.

But I'm glad it's only once a year. : )

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
We have been going to RP since 1980 fairly regularly (4 to 5 times a year). Our extended family owns a small house in Cholla Bay but now we usually stay on Sandy Beach. Somehow in all this time we have never been to RP during Semana Santa and after this past weekend I know why. I have never seen so much craziness in RP in my life. Spring break, even in the haydays wasn't even close. We saw people (not just 1 or 2, but many) driving on the wrong side of the divided road in front of the beach condo's. The entire Malecon was shut down to any car traffic Sat night. There are normally rules at the condos that after 11 music shold be turned down, it NEVER stopped all night etc etc.

My being the eternal optomist thought "well, at least the merchants, restaurants etc are making money"...nope, most of them shut down (Boobar, Wrecked at rthe reef, etc). We went to Playa Bonita for happy hour and the parking lot was PACKED. It reminded us of the old days and we thought we'd have a hard time getting a table. Nope, when we got to the patio there was only one other couple there but the beach was packed. Twice Satrday we saw people layed out in the medians on the street in from of the Sandy Beach condos after ATV's and cars met (Hey, a bright spot, the ATV rental places had to have made a ton).

By Sunday things calmed down and relaxed and all in all we had a great time as always, but for me Smana Santa translates to "stay at home and go next weekend"..lol

This is exactly what I've been saying in another post about Domestic Tourism and why these new flights from Hermosillo wont mean anything for the businesses in RP. Also I tried telling SheepMOM about this and to have fun with the CRAZIES on JET SKIS!! It's awful how haphazard these Semana Santa visitors are but like George Lopez SEZ, Mexicans dont care about safety, you know how they teach you how to swim, they just throw you in the pool when you're little and say swim!!!! It's scary!

mondone

Whitecaps
Went to my casa in Encanto from Good Friday to Monday afternoon and didn't go into town once. It was wonderful.

El Gato

We stayed put at Bella - had music but it ended at 9 pm - a lot of people enjoying the pools and beach - in fact we still have a lot of people at the pools. Heard a lot of police/emergency vehicles going by - in fact one just went by now. Always say a prayer when I hear one.

GV Jack

Snorin God
We stayed put at Bella - had music but it ended at 9 pm - a lot of people enjoying the pools and beach - in fact we still have a lot of people at the pools. Heard a lot of police/emergency vehicles going by - in fact one just went by now. Always say a prayer when I hear one.
Me too, but in Green Valley when you hear one it means a golf cart is about to hit the market.

I know it's sick, but true.

Roberto

Semana Santa is good for many of the businesses that benefitted from Spring Break, especially the little street taco vendors. Rentals are packed, gallons of beer are sold, ATV rentals go through the roof, harbor cruises are packed and Oxxo stores and Pemex stations (both franchises) do well. The curio shops in the Malecon get some benefit. Mexicans prefer to party in the streets. In fact all year long you see people sitting outside and not in their homes.

Yes the driving is nuts on many streets, usually the main ones with empty side streets. Yes I'm glad it's over.

Sounds much mellower in rp than lobos. Music till 4 am .I unfortunately saw a roll over with about ten people in the bed of the truck . Don't think anyone died. Driver was almost thrown out and then slammed back into the drivers seat. Looked like a broken back.

Ed B

Small Potatoes
We and another house that we know of were burglarized in Cholla. Going down tomorrow to check out the real losses. Sounded like people were almost staying on our patio too. We've always avoided coming down that week, but next year now that the house is done we are going to be there just to protect our property.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
We and another house that we know of were burglarized in Cholla. Going down tomorrow to check out the real losses. Sounded like people were almost staying on our patio too. We've always avoided coming down that week, but next year now that the house is done we are going to be there just to protect our property.

That's such bullsh1t!!!! 0 respect for anything, I bet you'll find all their dirty diapers on your patio too!

dmcauley

That's such bullsh1t!!!! 0 respect for anything, I bet you'll find all their dirty diapers on your patio too!
Any house left unattended can be screwed with when you have this many people drinking that much alcohol you can always expect the worst.
As for the buisness end, all RP news centers say it was a great weekend for buisnesses. Maybe not for gringo oriented places but for others who cater to everyone. I for one got out on Saturday before it got too crazy. Been there, done that. My wife on the other hand, loved it and stayed.