Shark almost as big as my Jeep

Kenny

Well Known Member
I didn't realize the pictures would look like that until I downloaded them. Joe was down the beach on the Quad when I caught him, and thought I would just hold him up by the tail myself to get a picture for the fun of it. If he look's pissed, it's because he was!......A little different angle

Attachments

Kenny

Well Known Member
We caught more than a few off the California coast, and were most often called a Shovelnose Shark, and a Guitare fish for fun...... It is a Shark.
"The Shovelnose Shark is also known as the Guitarfish, or Shovelnose Guitarfish. It is a bottom dwelling shark that has a very flattened appearance to its body. The head typically comes to a point at the snout".

Kenny

Well Known Member
It looks like a Shark subspecies. The Cali fish and game has it listed under Sharks, and it was always called that locally.....http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mspcont5.asp
This is a very cool site about Sharks....... http://www.elasmodiver.com/Shovelnose%20Guitarfish.htm
RAY RADIATION
Meanwhile, back at the end of the Triassic, at about the same time as Palaeospinax was swimming around the coastline of the super continent Pangaea, another group of sharks were adapting well to the bottom terrain of the shallow slopes. By the upper Jurassic Period the first guitarfishes were grubbing around for food and blending into the bottom sediments. These rays were a little more primitive than those of today. The main differences being a more shark like skeletal structure and the presence of fin spines. It has been suggested that all modern rays were derived from primitive guitarfishes but it is unclear exactly where the families are linked. The most recent addition to the batoid tree are the stingrays which showed up a mere 60 million years ago yet they fill the shallows of most tropical and temperate continental waters.

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
Getting a little too technical and dry for me.....:sharks:

Two great white sharks swimming in the ocean spied survivors of a sunken ship . "Follow me son" the father shark said to the son shark and they swam to the mass of people.

"First we swim around them a few times with just the tip of our fins showing." And they did.

"Well done, son! Now we swim around them a few times with all of our fins showing." And they did.

"Now we eat everybody." And they did.

When they were both gorged, the son asked, "Dad, why didn't we just eat them all at first? Why did we swim around and around them?"

His wise father replied, "Because they taste better after you scare the s@#t out of them.

Now you know...