Shooting...

I'll spare you my poor translation, but here's a report:

http://www.elimparcial.com/EdicionEnLinea/Notas/Noticias/27042009/371666.aspx

Didn't someone on here mention hearing gunshots last night while eating? I can't find that post now.

I guess this went down at 13th/Juárez intersection. What's up with all this Caborca nonsense? Is it easier now to get from Caborca to RP with the new freeway? Like to go directly west to get there instead of to Sonoyta and back down?

The papers in the states don't seem to have picked it up yet, too busy focusing on the Swine Flu--and hell, now an earthquake!

Kenny

With impacts of bullet of highly be able, two couples were bombarded when they circulated in a car Ford Fusion of recent model, around the 20:20 hours of yesterday Sunday in the heart of Port Rock. In the interior of the vehicle that carries plates VWY 9599, registered in the Municipality of Caborca, they remained the bodies of two men and a woman, while rescue workers of Red Cross reached to transfer to a private hospital to an identifying youth as Natali Trujillo Zavala, of 18 years and native of Caborca. According to witnesses of the facts, the attack was originated since another vehicle in movement, apparently a Ford Contour of golden or gray color since where shot at two o'clock couples upon arriving at the crossing of the street 13 and the boulevard Juárez. The victims were identifying like the Alfredo Garcia Araiza, of 39 years and native of Caborca, as well as Joel Rock Cázares, of 37, native of Culiacán, Sinaloa, and Cintia Montaño Bojórquez, of 30 and native of Guasave, Sinaloa. To the closing of the edition, injured the young woman remained very serious boarding school in a private hospital, they revealed crime sources in the port. Troops of the different corporations carried out operating in all the Rock Port sectors and a caution in the main accesses to the city was maintained, without manage to locate the vehicle in which travelled the presumed hitmen. Of the place of the expert facts of the attorney general's office of Justice they assured around 30 cases of diverse calibers that will be analyzed. It notes Published: 27/04/2009 06:40

Con impactos de bala de alto poder, dos parejas fueron acribilladas cuando circulaban en un auto Ford Fusion de modelo reciente, alrededor de las 20:20 horas de ayer domingo en pleno Centro de Puerto Peñasco. En el interior del vehículo que porta placas VWY 9599, registradas en el Municipio de Caborca, quedaron los cuerpos de dos hombres y una mujer, mientras que socorristas de Cruz Roja alcanzaron a trasladar a un hospital privado a una joven identificada como Natali Trujillo Zavala, de 18 años y originaria de Caborca. De acuerdo a testigos de los hechos, el ataque se originó desde otro vehículo en movimiento, al parecer un Ford Contour de color dorado o gris desde donde dispararon a las dos parejas al llegar al cruce de la calle 13 y el bulevar Juárez. Las víctimas fueron identificadas como Alfredo García Araiza, de 39 años y originario de Caborca, así como Joel Meza Cázares, de 37, originario de Culiacán, Sinaloa, y Cintia Montaño Bojórquez, de 30 y originaria de Guasave, Sinaloa. Hasta el cierre de la edición, la joven herida permanecía muy grave internada en un hospital privado, revelaron fuentes policiacas en el puerto. Efectivos de las diferentes corporaciones realizaron operativos en todos los sectores de Puerto Peñasco y se mantuvo una vigilancia en los principales accesos a la ciudad, sin lograr ubicar el vehículo en el que viajaban los presuntos sicarios. Del lugar de los hechos peritos de la Procuraduría General de Justicia aseguraron alrededor de 30 casquillos de diversos calibres que serán analizados. Nota Publicada: 27/04/2009 06:40
---

G

gunner

THE BORDER REPORT

A really interesting hit late last night in Puerto Peñasco, Sonora, two couples taken out, one survivor.

The hit went down in the heart of the city, 13th Street and Juárez Boulevard; El Imparcial reports this morning.

One of the three dead was identified as Joel Meza Cázares, of Culiacán, and los pajarritos andan cantando, saying he was related to Blanca Margarita Cázares Salazar, La Emperatriz, El Mayo Zambada’s ex-girlfriend and a money-launderer for the Sinaloa Federation.

If the info checks out, and we’re working on it this morning, then Zambada’s been taking some hits.

In February, Cázares’ brother, Victor Emilio, was targeted by the Feds, when they arrested 750 people working for the Sinaloans here in the U.S. That sprung from an indictment targeting Victor that was filed in 2007.

Victor controlled Mexicali and California’s Imperial Valley for El Mayo.

One of Blanca’s son’s was murdered in May 2008 along with Edgár Guzmán, Chapo’s son, in a bazooka attack in downtown Culiacán. It was a dramatic attack, even by narco standards. Twenty men took part in the murders. Some 25 cars were destroyed, close to 500 bullet casings picked up from the parking lot of the shopping mall where the young men went down.

Now, at the time, everybody blamed the Beltrán Leyvas for the murder. Then the rumors began, here and in other places, that Mayo had ordered the hit, fracturing the Sinaloa Federation. Now this one, Joél Meza, goes down.

The second thought I have this fine Monday morning is that this not going to go over well with the Sonorans. Drive-bys in the tourists spots are a huge no-no. At least, they used to be.

I’ll let you know about Joél Meza when I hear something.

Now let’s all return to the gripe porcina.

This will definitely put an additional damper on the economy of Puerto Penasco. The news traveled very fast locally. I was in a Mirador bar last night when the owner got a call about 10:30 pm from a friend about the hit, with the info that it involved "narcos".... I wonder how long before it is picked up by the AZ news....

Looks like the story won't hit the Star tomorrow either, judging by the overnight online stories.

I just realized the shooting took place in the giant intersection with the bridge over it, near the train tracks, where everyone turns to go down to Sunset Cantina Max's, Guau Guau, Penasco de Sol, etc., right? Am I off by a block?

Outside of the Fish Market, and the Mirador strip on a busy night, I can't think of a more high-profile area to make that hit. Either very sloppy or hella ballsy. Or, worse yet for everyone, both. Please post when you have more info. Thanks a bunch!

From what I heard, it was the intersection with the overpass....right outside the bank on the corner (Benito Juarez & Calle 13). The town was pretty "dead"....as was the Mirador, at the time.

J

Jamie75

We didn't hear anything about this when we were down this weekend. We didn't travel any further into town than Sunset and Max's though..stayed on Sandy Beach for the most part.
If I am reading this correctly, this was a hit right? At least it wasn't random gunfire into the a crowd of tourists on Calle 13, the Mirador or Old Port... I am trying to find the silver lining here..

I am sure our wonderful media will completley blow this one out of porportion... Boo...

Dang. You guys scooped me! I came in to post what I thought was "breaking" news I posted on my blog early this morning, and here you are with all the details already. Ahead of me as usual :(

dagnabbit. ;)

Was the 4th victim (the 18 yr. old girl) really an innocent bystander...or was she out of the vehicle hitting the ATM at the bank?

S

Submarine

Guess we are a step up from the "ARE" graffiti on signs now huh.

J

Jamie75

I do have to say, at least the shooting was hidden in the article and not headline..

Jamie75 said:
I do have to say, at least the shooting was hidden in the article and not headline..
Yeah....with most people's lack of ability to read....they will miss that part!! :roll:

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
We didn't hear a thing down in Santo Tomas. As to the question regarding the highway to Caborca, they haven't done anything with the roads down that way except south of Desemboque there is a new road started headed south. Also they appear to be widening the section closest to Penasco.

On a trip last spring we did come back via Caborca and ran into a large Federale check point between the coast and Caborca (they highway that eventually leads to Penasco). We also noticed police patrolling the beach on quads at Santo Tomas. It would be my assumption that some narco activity has moved into the Caborca area now.

rockyptjoe said:
Jamie75 said:
Yeah....with most people's lack of ability to read....they will miss that part!! :roll:
Of course this means that I'll be fielding calls and emails about why I didn't mention it more prominently. Geez...