Shore FIshing 3/16-3/21

Kelney

I was in RP last week with the family and since my crew is of the non-fishing variety, I took to shore fishing rather than off shore on the boat. I did splash the boat for a whale watching adventure which was cool. Anyways, I was staying on Sandy Beach and was looking for a decent place to shore fish. I never fished or explored the area SE of Competition hill as I could not find a way back in there with my truck. It always looked promising when I cruise by on the boat. I decided to look a little harder and I found a spot in the fence I could fit my truck through so I was golden! Over the week, I caught the standard inshore species of bass, Triggers, some large Leather Jacks and 1 large Corvina but I caught a couple of shore fishing firsts for me. One being a Barred Pargo. He was about 5 lbs and was quite the surprise. I also caught a couple of flounders which was nice. My final inshore first was a nice 8-10 lb juvenile gulf grouper. I know these posts suck without pictures but the area was quite rocky and treacherous to say the least. My equipment and body took a little beating as the rocks were gnarly and slick. My camera would not have survived.

I only have this location to compare to las Conchas for shore fishing. I think I actually have more action in las Conchas but the fish were of greater variety and size at CH location. Like I mentioned, the area was really rocky. Not bad at high tide but during the lower tides you had to hike through some nasty boulder fields. I truly wondered if I had a fishing sickness crawling over those rocks risking life and limb in order to fish. I did not fish as much as I would have liked during the high tides so maybe the action would have been a little greater if I did.

VonDog

El Pescador
Fished that area for quite a few years. They close it off and someone will open it up and they'll close it off again - hit or miss. Gave a local a rod and reel and some tackle as he was "sling fishing" off a bottle one time. The area can be some great shore fishing!!!! Nice report!

On the ocean side of the hill, in Cholla at Pinto Point and to the east going to the SB is where you are at, that area is usually very good fishing,
Some of my local buddies do all their shore fishing there. Almost every time I see them they have some fish in a bucket and ask me for some ice.
In a few weeks the fish should be really hitting hard in that area until the water warms and they go further out to cooler water.

If you really want to walk on those slippery rocks get some felt bottom shoes. It is such a difference ,you can almost run on the rocks instead of landing on your ass. Leigh

Kenny

Love that area and have fished it many times going way back. Never can tell what you'll catch along there so I always use a heavier line than I might at Marua. Though with these new thin lines they have now I throw 15 most of the time anyway. Used to chase the tide for clams in the bay and then hustle to the rocks for the incoming. A fun day and a good meal.

There's one nice cove in particular I like the best. Not only have I caught nice fish at that location, all you can see is the ocean in front of you from there; no pigeon coups in sight.