shore fishing in mirador.

kelly

I am going june 22 thru july 7. my 17 year old wants to fish this year from shore. I dont know really a thing about fishing, him either. I have some fishing poles his grandpa gave him in working order what kinda hooks or sinkers or stuff should i buy to take. he says he will figure it out he has fished in the lakes and stuff up on the rim.any pointers would be apprectated. we were there last year and saw some guys catching stuff from shore.

First See if the reals work properly. If they don't BUY NEW ONES
If the reals work ok buy new fishing line. I use 20 Lb braid and a 3 ft leader of 15 Lb mono when fishing close in I like Circle hooks as there is no hook set required.
Buy ball bearing swivels and, learn before you go, to tye the best knot for you.
If I am fishing in the rocks, my preference, I use Torpedo sinkers 1/2 oz or so with wire loops on bouth ends. Some prefer the weight on the end and the hook back a few feet but I prefer my weight on the end of the line and the leader attached to it. It seems to me this type of sinker gets hooked in the rocks less.

DO NOT GO TO WALLMARTAS THEY SELL ANYTHING TO ANYBODY AND HAVE NO IDEA OF WHAT YOU REALY NEED. PHOENIX fISHING is the place to go for help and good advise.

DON'T BE CHEAP AND SORRY. A few dollars more may make the difference between a great and a not so great trip.

Kastmaster ar anything silver as a basic lure and my favirite bait is the rock bass you catch down there. Cut up into 1 in square or strip pieces with some skin attached. I am sure others will chime in for you as this is a great forum for helping others

Roberto

The easiest is a coke can wrapped with some line, hook on the end and a little weight, a nut or washer will do. You pulloff some line, spin it over your head, release and let the line trail off the can. You'll be fishin Mexican style, the way the kids here fish. Bait? anything you can find that will stay on the hook!!

kelly

His father is a mexican guy from los mochis, havnt seen him since he was 6 months old haha. I personally know of that coke can fishing thing. I told him to try that last year. He did it, gave up. this year wanna be more prepared. I cant wait for him to get home from work so I can show him the coke can thing. He works at Dannys family car wash at san tan mall. I have raised him and his sister alone. I appreciate the comments. I am going to see if those reels are good ones or not. He thought I was making that coke can thing up last year!!!

Last edited: