Shore fishing

I

Infra

I will be in rocky point this week for about 5 days or so and will be taking my 6' shakespeare rod/reel setup with 12lb test. Will this be sufficient for shore fishing? If so, what type of bait/tackle setup should I be using? What type of fish should I expect to catch? And most importantly.....where would be a good place to fish at?

Thanks to any and all who offer advice :D

Search for posts by me on this forum and you'll get what you need. I can only recommend the estuaries (South/East side - furthest from PP), although I have heard reports of decent fish in the harbour.

Ed

I

Infra

So from what I have gathered I should be fishing somewhere close to pelican point in cholla bay, or down by the fish market? I have a couple of spoons I will be fishing with, and I may just try some shrimp as bait too and see what happens.

I noticed in most pics I have seen ppl are wading out into the water. Is the water too cold to be wading out into this time of year for some fishing? Are there some fishing shops down there that I can stop into to get the local scoop on what spots are hot and such?

Kenny

Infra said:
So from what I have gathered I should be fishing somewhere close to pelican point in cholla bay, or down by the fish market? I have a couple of spoons I will be fishing with, and I may just try some shrimp as bait too and see what happens.

I noticed in most pics I have seen ppl are wading out into the water. Is the water too cold to be wading out into this time of year for some fishing? Are there some fishing shops down there that I can stop into to get the local scoop on what spots are hot and such?
Squid is better, the small one's. You can get them at the next to last fish shop on the right and the last one too. Squid is like worms in fresh water, you can catch just about anything with them and they stay on the hook great.
Kastmasters are probably the most popular lure to use, but being inventive with bass stuff is fun and a lot of them work.
It was New years day in that picture of me standing in the water above, in my last post.
More New year day pictures.
[attachment=2:3hxe5ont]New years La Pinta.jpg[/attachment:3hxe5ont]
[attachment=1:3hxe5ont]La Pinta-Natalie.jpg[/attachment:3hxe5ont]
[attachment=0:3hxe5ont]La Pinta Sarah & Natalie.jpg[/attachment:3hxe5ont]

Attachments

tortuga

:lol: I'm in 113. Cardinal 5th wheel with Missouri plates. I don't drink but I have "company" beer so stop by for a cold one.

I

Infra

Kenny thanks for the advice. I will definitely pick up some squid and see what I can hook into with that. Any one else have any special fishing spots they wish to share with me?

Infra
Remember the triger fish will bight you if you touch their mouth. They have a mouth full of teeth that will take out a piece of your finger. If you cast and get a rock bass they are great bait. Filet and slice across the fish strip. Kind of create a short fat worm. Hook through one end and through the skin. If I am casting I use a long thin sinker with eyes on bouth ends and a 2 ft leader and a #1 hook. The bottom in many areas is rocky so be prepared to loose gear.
Enjoy

dmcauley

I like to put on enough bait to cast out w/o using a sinker. This seems to get me more fish and less loss of tackle- I really prefer lures. The harbor is a great place to fish, a good place is next to the marina next to Balboas. There have been some good corvina runs there lately and a lot less snags on rocks.

I

Infra

Awesome! cheers...and thanks everyone for the advice on everything. Taking off at 4am tomorrow so I should be hooking into some fish by noon if I get my camp set up and enough beer for a few hours of fishing.