Shorefishing first weekend of June

rplarry

I don't go down nearly as often as I used to. I pretty much only go when Shawno invites me to fish with him now. I use 6# test when shore fishing rocky point. I catch a ton of fish and rarely get broken off. The biggest of the corvina will come in just fine on the 6# test. I have caught halibut up to 20lbs on it although they are the species that breaks me off the most. The triggers are easy but quite fun on the light line, too. 20# line is just too heavy in my opinion for the shore fishing in RP.

Try the lighter stuff, you'll cast farther, have higher catch rates and over all a much more fun trip. The best shore fishing lures I have found for RP are small silver spoons about 1.5"-2" long with a treble hook. Brand doesn't matter, they all work. I buy the cheapest ones I can find because the rocks do take their fair share. I have caught all the common inshore species on the small spoons.

The little blue or purple man-o-wars suck. They come up with the south winds. You can buy a jelly fish sting relief spray at scuba diving shops. It works good. I was on a diving trip in Honduras a couple months ago and we got nailed by a bunch of box jellies. The spray worked wonders. It's a vinegar mixture of some sort.

Enjoy, Ryan
I agree, 20lb test is a bit overboard. I got used to it though and am usually fishing on a big tide swing (especially in the estuary) and it always seems that I start catching fish when the tide is rushing in. I end up kind of just cranking in the fish, tossing it up on shore, and getting back to fishing as fast as possible until the tide forces me to take off. The spot I often fish usually has a window of opportunity because of the tide, so having a higher test allows me to be a bit more aggressive in bringing them in.

Now, when I use a lighter test, I forget the need for playing the fish more, and that's probably why I've had the break offs I have had.

Thanks for the input and tips. Always valuable to learn from those who fish a lot more than I do!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I don't go down nearly as often as I used to. I pretty much only go when Shawno invites me to fish with him now. I use 6# test when shore fishing rocky point. I catch a ton of fish and rarely get broken off. The biggest of the corvina will come in just fine on the 6# test. I have caught halibut up to 20lbs on it although they are the species that breaks me off the most. The triggers are easy but quite fun on the light line, too. 20# line is just too heavy in my opinion for the shore fishing in RP.

Try the lighter stuff, you'll cast farther, have higher catch rates and over all a much more fun trip. The best shore fishing lures I have found for RP are small silver spoons about 1.5"-2" long with a treble hook. Brand doesn't matter, they all work. I buy the cheapest ones I can find because the rocks do take their fair share. I have caught all the common inshore species on the small spoons.

The little blue or purple man-o-wars suck. They come up with the south winds. You can buy a jelly fish sting relief spray at scuba diving shops. It works good. I was on a diving trip in Honduras a couple months ago and we got nailed by a bunch of box jellies. The spray worked wonders. It's a vinegar mixture of some sort.

Enjoy, Ryan

MVP

Most Valuable Post

mis2810

Just so you know, it worked so well he made me bring the bottle of windex to the beach the next day just in case!

AZRob

Just so you know, it worked so well he made me bring the bottle of windex to the beach the next day just in case!
If I don't have a bottle of old faithful, Ill use Windex or another cleaner with the key ingredient in it. When in Mexico do as the Mexicans do.