Shrimp Prices

asprinkles

Well Known Member
Just wondering on the shrimp prices are running on the large shrimp at the store east of burger king. Can't remember the name though. Leigh

audsley

Well Known Member
Prices are higher if you want them shelled and de-veined. Last time I bought them that way and didn't think they were quite as good as the ones I clean myself.

mondone

Whitecaps
Prices are higher if you want them shelled and de-veined. Last time I bought them that way and didn't think they were quite as good as the ones I clean myself.
That's crazy. Occasionally I'll have Federico on Constituccion clean them for me and never an extra charge.

audsley

Well Known Member
Yes, I've had them clean my shrimp at Federico's and similar places along the malecon. I understand that Federico's was once owned and operated by a guy named Federico, but he sold out and retired. Those fish bays are run by whoever owns them at the moment. Freshness isn't necessarily guaranteed at all of those places. At Seafood Products, the shrimp come in frozen off the boat and are kept at temperatures colder than the ice you'll take them home in. I got a tutorial from the guy who runs the place. And watch out for those "tiger" shrimp. No such thing in SOC. Shrimp start looking like tigers after they've been around while. So, Wood Spinner, I do sort of know some of the ways of Rocky Point.

ernesto

Well Known Member
I am a fan of seafood products but..... what do they get for a pound of cleaned frozen 15's? About $16 last time i was in there. $7 at the fish market and I clean em in 5 minutes

mondone

Whitecaps
Yes, I've had them clean my shrimp at Federico's and similar places along the malecon. I understand that Federico's was once owned and operated by a guy named Federico, but he sold out and retired. Those fish bays are run by whoever owns them at the moment. Freshness isn't necessarily guaranteed at all of those places. At Seafood Products, the shrimp come in frozen off the boat and are kept at temperatures colder than the ice you'll take them home in. I got a tutorial from the guy who runs the place. And watch out for those "tiger" shrimp. No such thing in SOC. Shrimp start looking like tigers after they've been around while. So, Wood Spinner, I do sort of know some of the ways of Rocky Point.
Actually Federico didn't retire, he just moved from the malecon to a spot on Constitucion many years ago. His brother is still on the malecon in the "Mr. Shrimp" bay. Federico mostly has locals and some restaurants as clientele now, so his stuff is usually always fresh. But I too prefer Sea products if I'm buying for future meals from the freezer.

marybna

Well Known Member
If anyone goes into the fish products place near Burger KIng could you take a picture of the price board and post on here? I haven't been done for awhile and everyone wants fish.

Mary