Shrimp problems..white spot disease

playaperro

El Pirata
Losses of $ 150 million in this cycle will Sonora shrimp production by 35% reduction compared to 2009 for white spot disease that invaded the north of the state. Fraijo Samuel Flores, President of the Private Farmers Association of Sonora, said three of the parks most affected are in Bahia de Kino. "In some places they had problems with white spot is a disease that infects shrimp in the pond and dies third day, so we are working on research to minimize these risks and effects on production. "We hit all over the state in the north hit us hard in the Kino area, the park was the most affected San Nicolas, then Tastiota Cardonal and then it was a blow to the production of shrimp in this cycle, "he said. In 2009, Sonora produced a total of 80 000 tonnes of shrimp in 2010 was a minor effect White spot and production fell to 50 000 so that this 2011 will walk for 35 thousand tons.

audsley

What implications does white spot disease have for human health? Can we eat infected shrimp without any effects?

Roberto

I wonder if that report is for the huge shrimp farms down in that area. They cover many square miles of land down from Kino Viejo.

When I was young I raised and breed, NO JOKES PLEASE, tropical fish. They sometimes got a disease called " Ick" that had white spots. I wonder if it is the same. I think I used a light % of Iodinein the water to clean the tank. I believe it was strees and temp related.

What implications does white spot disease have for human health? Can we eat infected shrimp without any effects?
Not much on the web...but found this....

http://www.thefishsite.com/articles/290/facts-on-white-spot-syndrome-virus-wssv
Facts on White Spot Syndrome Virus (WSSV)

By LSU AgCenter. White Spot Syndrome Virus (WSSV) has been confirmed for the first time in Louisiana in crawfish from a pond in St. Martin Parish.

This crawfish disease seems to affect mostly the medium to large crawfish. Symptoms include sluggish crawfish that don’t move much once they are dumped from the trap. They do not pinch hard and can’t walk. There are no color differences or obvious signs other than weakness and slowness. Some dead crawfish are noticeable in the traps while others are noticeable in the shallow water along the edge of the pond.

This viral disease affects only crustaceans like crawfish and shrimp. Humans are not susceptible to the virus, and consumption of infected crawfish does not endanger the health of humans. The virus can apparently cause significant losses of crawfish in a pond.

dmcauley

When you use google translate you can get a confusing translation, thanks Wahoo for the correct interpretation,

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
I wonder if that report is for the huge shrimp farms down in that area. They cover many square miles of land down from Kino Viejo.
It is the farms Roberto. The article says Production Down, Farm's produce, shrimp boats catch. Also in the second paragragh it is the President of an Aquaculture group giving the report.

Last edited: