Small boat inshore fishing

I'm heading down the first week in May with an 11ft Zodiac and a 9.9hp outboard. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to find table fare fish? We like to troll but bottom fishing is fun too. Also any spearfishing suggestions would be appreciated. There will also be several young children in our group that I would like to put onto any fish. If there are threads covering this topic I'm sorry to ask again. Could someone direct me to them?

JoseAz

We have a similar setup - 12ft aluminum w/ 5hp motor and like to take it just offshore over the reefs. If the water is calm and clear, we get nibbles on nearly every cast and often have 2 fish on at a time.
We catch cabrillas and triggers. A plate sized trigger fish on ultralight gear is an epic battle. We tie on a 3way swivel, hang a small weight 2ft below, and loop a snelled hook off to the side to keep the hook out of the rocks and weeds. Bait with a piece of squid and you are set.
The reef fish have pretty tough mouths so we teach the newbies and kids to "break their necks" when they get a strike or you will not set the hook.
These fish are pretty spiny so i also take a tough fish cleaning glove and one of those pistol grip fish hook removers to keep from getting poked.
Good sized cabrillas will produce nice fillets for fish tacos
If we get a bunch of good sized triggers, we slice off the filets, keeping skin on. We drop the filets in boiling water for about 15 to 20 seconds and the skin peals right off. The meat kind of falls apart into strands. We use that to make fish cakes the same way we make crab cakes.
Its a lot of fun. Have a great time

playaperro

El Pirata
Search la Pinta on here and am stealing this!
  1. Also look into La Pinta estuary. Search this forum for past discussions of La Pinta and corvina fishing. Some good info on how and when to catch corvina (sea trout.) La Pinta is located a half hour south from the highway junction east of Las Conchas and maybe 3 miles or so past Mayan Palace. Turn right at the stone house by the highway, drive straight to the estuary (a mile maybe?) and don't worry about the panga fishermen or the man and dogs watching boats and trailers, they're good guys. And be careful launching because the place is lousy with sting rays. You cannot drag a lure across the bottom of that place without having to remove an 8-inch sand bass from your hook, but you can also catch other stuff. Silver Kastmasters and Crocodiles for corvina. Anything else besides sand bass is largely a matter of luck.

For some reason I haven't been seeing posts from Mexico Joe lately. Don't know if he's serving out a suspension or what, but he'd be the best one to tell you about Cholla Bay.
    audsley, Oct 11, 2013Report
    #3LikeReply

2. KelneyWell-Known Member
    Cholla Bay is close and decent. Launch off Tucson Beach. Go to JJ's and ask if you are not sure where that is. I am bad at Cholla Bay directions so I would get you lost
    Kelney, Oct 11, 2013Report
    #4LikeReply

3. Wood SpinnerWell-Known Member
    Wood Spinner, Oct 13, 2013Report
    #5LikeReply

Write your reply...