Solar options

Kea

We own a house in Las Conchas and are considering solar options. What is available in Peñasco? Should we consider options only to help with air conditioning / heating or are there reasonably priced options for the whole house? Are there neighborhood restrictions that would keep us from doing anything?

Just starting to explore this option. So any advice is welcome.

Terry C

I don't know about restrictions but this guy did quite a few in Playa Encanto when we went on the grid sometime ago. I personally have not used him and no complaints have I heard.

[email protected]
We are a legal solar company located in Cholla Bay for 37 years. We know the Bi-directional meter hook-up's. We know what will work and what you need to tie in with the utility power. We can get your old OutBack inverter up graded to work. Install your new Grid Tie Inverter. We use the correct color and AWG wire and wire to U.S.A. wiring codes from your solar modules to the inverter and to the meter box. All generator transfer switches as needed. Send us an e-mail and we will give you a free in home evalation of your solar system. Phone 638-100-9698 or Fax 638-382-5009 Gary & Griselda Koehler

Kea

Thanks Terry C. I'm still interested in other's responses, but this could be a good place to start for info!

mondone

Whitecaps
I don't know about restrictions but this guy did quite a few in Playa Encanto when we went on the grid sometime ago. I personally have not used him and no complaints have I heard.

[email protected]
We are a legal solar company located in Cholla Bay for 37 years. We know the Bi-directional meter hook-up's. We know what will work and what you need to tie in with the utility power. We can get your old OutBack inverter up graded to work. Install your new Grid Tie Inverter. We use the correct color and AWG wire and wire to U.S.A. wiring codes from your solar modules to the inverter and to the meter box. All generator transfer switches as needed. Send us an e-mail and we will give you a free in home evalation of your solar system. Phone 638-100-9698 or Fax 638-382-5009 Gary & Griselda Koehler
I used Gary to complete my grid service in my garage. Installed a service box and a transfer switch to a generator, tied everything in with my solar inverter and did a very good job!

Roberto

You should check the CC&Rs for Las Conchas Home Owners Association for any restrictions that might impact you.

Possibly some people out in Encanto that would want to sell their Solar stuff since they went on the grid.

Kea

I have no problem with "used" equipment. Just trying to find out what is reasonably "feasible."

Kea

Good point. Like I said, I'm just in the learning and exploring stage. I want to learn all the pros and cons and determine if it's even worth doing anything.

I understand the technology is always improving and has gotten more reasonably priced. But didn't know if it was good enough yet. I've also heard about new systems that blend in better with existing roofing material. But I'm guessing that has more to do with shingled roofs. I'm not sure how they would design panels that blend in with tile roofs.

mondone

Whitecaps
Anyone out there have experience with solar batteries that seem to eat water almost daily? I have a few batteries out of 20 that can get very low in a matter of days, others barely need distilled water for months at a time. Although I'm on the grid now, I still have my system tied in as a backup. I think I have some batteries that are weak, as once the sun goes down, the voltage drops from ~25 to 27 to ~18 to 19.

Terry C

Mondone, I had the same problem before we went on the grid. Mostly it's due to age. The smaller Trojan batteries you get about 5-7 years out of them. The larger Surrette you can get about 10 years.

Have you had your system equalized? Should be done at least twice a year. Do you have a outback charge controler?

mondone

Whitecaps
I admittedly say I don't know all that much about solar systems, but I do have an Outback charge controller and have no idea about the sytem being/needing to be equalized. About the only thing that I know how to do is shut-off/turn-on the charger controller (auto or off) and I mostly always have it off because when it is on the batteries boil and emit sulfur smell like they are being overcharged, I guess. I have a mixture of batteries, 13 labeled Rolls(red caps) and the other 7 labeled US battery or Crown ( white caps). A few of the white cap batteries are the one's that eat water alot, only a couple of the red cap batteries do.

Kea

Thanks lagrimas. I'll have to look at that website more closely. Any problems importing them across the border?

If we were to install something that would generate more than we use (especially since we don't live here yet), would CFE let us run our meter backwards? Would we be able to get credit for feeding the excess back into their lines?

Terry C

Mondone, if you have the solar on and the electric on at the same time the elec is charging the batteries at the same time. That is why they boil and eat water. Run either elec or solar, not both at the same time. I think you said Gary did the install? He can equalize the batteries through the control panel.

mondone

Whitecaps
Terry- That's the one thing I know how to do on the control panel, Gary told me to shut off the electric charging the batteries which I did.