Some restaurant changes

Roberto

Well Known Member
Don Julios on Fremont has closed the old Las Fuentes location and moved the name down to the Malecon next to La Palapa.

Luca opened Fish, a restaurant on Whale Hill, the Lighthouse location. Existing location on Fremont still open as of today.

The restaurant on the second level immediately east of Mary's Coctaleria and the little park in the Malecon is under major renovation.

Friendly Dolphin has reopened, guess same people.

Latitide is hosting daily specials, details will follow.

Terry C

Well Known Member
A group of us went to Fish tonight. Not a big fish eater so I had the steak and it was really good. Everyone else like their fish. Price for 6, $160.00 included drinks

GV Jack

Snorin God
Not really, Two each,,,pricey place. I didn't have to pay tho. LOL
$26.00 +/- each. If they had any wine it usually goes for about $7.00 minimum for his places or the Mare Blu. Two
glasses of wine and $10.00 for dinner and voila, there you go. It ain't Tacos & Tires. I'll probably give it a shot in late April.

Bon Apetit.

Hillbeartoe

Well Known Member
$26.00 +/- each. If they had any wine it usually goes for about $7.00 minimum for his places or the Mare Blu. Two
glasses of wine and $10.00 for dinner and voila, there you go. It ain't Tacos & Tires. I'll probably give it a shot in late April.

Bon Apetit.
Sorry, I did think that is a bit on the pricey side for the area.
However that is the only thing we really spend money on here and as long as the food is good I don't mind.
Normally $16 worth of drinks down there means more than a couple drinks, though I have not had wine.

dons2346

A group of us went to Fish tonight. Not a big fish eater so I had the steak and it was really good. Everyone else like their fish. Price for 6, $160.00 included drinks
Over $26 a person!! Wow, those must be some kind of fish and drinks. Even at 6 bux a drink, it is expensive.

Terry C

Well Known Member
Like I said above, pricey to us. We won't be going back anytime soon. It was friends treat to us.

ben21

Well Known Member
So the place called Fish took the space of Lighthouse, which is/was right below Capitan?

Unrelated, but I wish restaurant owners would think about how people would go about looking their new restaurant up online before they decide on a name. Not exactly getting relevant results when searching for "Fish Restaurant Rocky Point".

Buffalo Marty

Well Known Member
Stopped into "Fish" with the family last weekend to check it out. It was early afternoon and we ate breakfast late so we just split the shrimp appetizer ($12) and some focaccia bread ($1.50). The shrimp were pretty solid, although a bit on the small side, but definitely a great presentation and the veggies were great. The bread was amazing and a steal for a buck fifty. I'd like to go back for a full meal, but what we saw was pretty solid so far.
IMG_6353.JPG IMG_6352.JPG

Roberto

Well Known Member
Las Fuentes, (Don Julios) on Fremont has opened under that name. I looked at the menu. Very extensive but seemed like the standard fare menu.

Wood Spinner

Well Known Member
It seems some of these places just price themselfs out of business. I know when we spend the winter down there I dont go to spend that much. We generally go out for breakfast or lunch. We like the street joints. Las Brisas and Longos down by Bryans are the best and cheap. Dinner is usually Brians on the special nights and Satisfied Frog for the pizza special.

Eggwyt

Went to Fish this afternoon. Pretty nice place, the views are amazing. Three of us went, our daughter had sliders that while good were almost like flattened meatballs. She liked them, the fries were very tasty. The other two of us splurged for the surf and turf ($22 each) . The lobster tail was nice sized, a bit larger than I expected. It was nicely grilled and good. The steak was a nice sized piece of flank steak and while well prepared, wasn't as good as the rest of the plate consisting of home made potato chips and sautéed vegetables. The focaccia was amazing and well worth the $1.50. We had great service and while a bit on the expensive side for PP we will be going back another visit. We love Pane e Vino but they weren't open for our very early dinner. Thanks OP for all the info.

El Tiburon

Well Known Member
Last time I went to Fish they did not take credit cards. Anyone know if this has changed? I would think that would hurt their business.

Eggwyt

Last time I went to Fish they did not take credit cards. Anyone know if this has changed? I would think that would hurt their business.
I meant to mention that it was cash only. I think accepting cards at all their restaurants would really help sales. Sometimes you have cash but are more careful about how much you spend than if you used a card.

El Tiburon

Well Known Member
I agree that taking credit cards would help business. I think the problem may be twofold-first, the restaurant owners don't want to pay the bank fee for each transaction or, second, maybe there is more profit in running a cash only business. I bring a limited amount of cash with me when I come and am more likely to go to restaurants that take credit cards so there are certain restaurants I am unable to support.

mondone

Whitecaps
Wife and I decided to try Fish for NYE this week at the last minute. We have wanted to try it for quite a while but just never got around to it until now. No reservations, but they had a table for us in a small room off the main dining area as we walked in around 9PM. Room left a lot to be desired, as lighting was very bright and it really lacked much ambience, if any. They were serving a "special" NYE menu. Ordered a bottle of wine from a not very helpful or informed server who seemed to not know a thing about the wine list. Forget about getting a suggestion on what he recommended between a couple different brands of a varietal. Pretty much the same for the food menu offerings. At this point I am concerned that for a supposed "finer dining establishment in RP", that something is amiss. Later during dinner, he is overheard to say in the room that he is not a "usual server" at this restaurant and that he was called in for emergency assistance and that he normally works at a different restaurant. Not sure if that is really so or not. So much for service, hopefully the food would make up for it. No dice. We ordered 2 appetizers. Calamari and an octopus dish. The calamari had a nice flavored sauce, but it was un-chewable. It was so tough, it was like eating thick rubber bands. The other was a dish made of octopus and potatoes. It was mediocre and mostly all potatoes. Where's the pulpo? For main course, several fish filet dishes were offered, but seeing them being served at an adjoining table of about 8 diners didn't make us want to order any of them. Very small portions for fish entrees and nothing that stood out as looking all that delicious. A "Tomahawk" steak for 2 @$55 was also served to same table. It was not appealing looking at all for the price. Later the people who ate it remarked it was very fatty when asked how they enjoyed it by others in their group. When same server was asked by them if that was "Sonoran" beef, he responded "yes". I'm not so sure they were convinced. On to deciding what we should order for a main course, we went to the Seafood Grill for 2, thinking that we usually always do OK with shellfish dishes. Served on a long, narrow platter, it was rather ordinary. 3 or 4 medium shrimp. a "lobster tail" the size of a big blue shrimp in the fish markets, scallops, and a couple forkfuls of a yellowtail filet. Probably the yellowtail qualified as a tasty item, but we have had much better for a lot less in price.

Overall, for the amount of the check, and expecting much better menu fare and special service in a fine dining experience, this will be our first and last visit up the hill to this place. A lot better food for half the price can be found elsewhere in Penasco. Like Chef Mickeys.

mondone

Whitecaps
I meant to mention that it was cash only. I think accepting cards at all their restaurants would really help sales. Sometimes you have cash but are more careful about how much you spend than if you used a card.
Taking CC's now.