Something I cant under stand

azfish

Why would anyone in their right mind rip a bridge down in the start of rainy season. Also why would you not build a new bridge next to the old one, and when completed right rip the old one down.
Who is the master mind that made this call? The hotels must love this person.:duh:

Building a new bridge in a different spot or along side the existing bridge would require re-aligning the roads. This flood is very unusual. One thing for sure, the pressure is certainly on the bridge builders to complete their project.

GV Jack

Snorin God
It looks like one side of the bridge is about done and could easily handle two lanes of traffic.

My buddy Roberto was told by good authority, one of his dogs, that that section could be opened
AROUND September 20th.

The problem with the detour was initially caused by the rather large monsoon storms in August and
a dam upstream releasing a whole lot of water to relieve pressure on it.

From the facebook, Sonoyta Detour Updates | Facebook there is a video of the new bridge.
It also reported that the detour was dry last night at 6:00PM but there are a bunch of visible pot holes.

I'm heading down tomorrow morning and will report how that thing looks. Just go nice and slow.

I know about slow and stops, right Rubbertoe?

It's not that different here in AZ. I have seen Scottsdale decide to repave some of it's roads in during high tourist season where there are 40% more cars on the road.
The officials who plan these untimely events probably look at the traffic camera monitors (Scottsdale) or look out of car windows (Sonoyta) laughing
at all the pissed off people waiting.

A freak storm could shut down any project at any time. The amazing amount of traffic in Sonoyta complicated it all.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Why would anyone in their right mind rip a bridge down in the start of rainy season. Also why would you not build a new bridge next to the old one, and when completed right rip the old one down.
Who is the master mind that made this call? The hotels must love this person.:duh:

This isn't Arizona's rainy season, sorry. Arizona receives a MAJORITY of it's precipitation in the winter from January to March. When the jet-stream dips low enough we receive those cold Low pressure systems out of the Pacific that can sometimes drop rain for 3 days. The Arizona monsoon is unpredictable. The monsoon in the summer time draws moisture from the Gulf of California, creating fast moving high energy storms. I can't say that I'm that familiar with how much rain Lukeville and Sonoyta receive during the monsoon months but I would venture to say that this has been and EXTREMELY GOOD MONSOON this year. In 15 years of travel to Rocky Point I dont ever recall seeing much water in that Sonoyta river bed, it usually looks like the Rio Salado used to look, dry! Two weeks ago when we got turned around at the border, going back to RP when we crossed RIO SONOYTA just before the Pinicate Reserve Station the river was flowing so fast under that bridge, it was insane! Im talking fast, class 4 rapids, it was pretty gnarly!!!!

So What is current status on the bridge? Did they open the two lanes yet?
If not is the Detour well marked ? I just hate backing up the 35 ft 5th wheel.

Terry C

I was told the two lanes will open Wednesday. The detour is well marked and no water if flowing over the road. Watch out for pot hopes.

Last edited:

azfish

This isn't Arizona's rainy season, sorry. Arizona receives a MAJORITY of it's precipitation in the winter from January to March. When the jet-stream dips low enough we receive those cold Low pressure systems out of the Pacific that can sometimes drop rain for 3 days. The Arizona monsoon is unpredictable. The monsoon in the summer time draws moisture from the Gulf of California, creating fast moving high energy storms. I can't say that I'm that familiar with how much rain Lukeville and Sonoyta receive during the monsoon months but I would venture to say that this has been and EXTREMELY GOOD MONSOON this year. In 15 years of travel to Rocky Point I dont ever recall seeing much water in that Sonoyta river bed, it usually looks like the Rio Salado used to look, dry! Two weeks ago when we got turned around at the border, going back to RP when we crossed RIO SONOYTA just before the Pinicate Reserve Station the river was flowing so fast under that bridge, it was insane! Im talking fast, class 4 rapids, it was pretty gnarly!!!!

Joe what would you call the moonsoon season, a wet or stormy part of the year? But not rainy.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Joe what would you call the moonsoon season, a wet or stormy part of the year? But not rainy.

The Monsoon is a southerly flow of moisture into the state. Obviously it rains during the monsoon, that's not what I'm saying. If they would have done this construction in December or January the situation would have been far worse. I think Phoenix yearly average is around 8 inches of rain per year, only 2 or so inches comes during the monsoon, that is what I'm saying.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Also this monsoon happen to be one of the biggest, rain wise, they have had in years, normally is not this bad and that was the reason they started the repairs during summer, however they did not know, as is the case with mother nature, that this years they were getting what we call in AZ the 100 year rains, or at least I heard people in Tucson call it that way!! their planning was AOK but the rains did not fulfilled their contract and stayed away from the area!! they need a lawyer to sue GOD!!

dmcauley

The planning should have been for other than the monsoon season. There are many months that don't rain, but this is all could've would've should've. I have lived in AZ for 40 years and have experienced no less than 6 100 year rains. The btidge is opened, I along with others have been inconvenienced and have made the best of it. I hate going thru San Luis but I probably won't have to in this lifetime again.

dmcauley

JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec
Avg. High65°70°75°84°94°104°105°104°98°88°74°66°
Avg. Low41°44°48°55°64°72°81°78°72°60°48°41°
Mean54°58°62°70°78°88°94°92°86°75°62°54°
Avg. Precip.0.7 in0.7 in0.9 in0.3 in0.1 in0.1 in0.8 in1.0 in0.9 in0.7 in0.7 in1.0 in

azfish

Im just happy to see two lanes working on that nightmare, maybe by the time we come next month all four will be working. Any updates?

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Also this monsoon happen to be one of the biggest, rain wise, they have had in years, normally is not this bad and that was the reason they started the repairs during summer, however they did not know, as is the case with mother nature, that this years they were getting what we call in AZ the 100 year rains, or at least I heard people in Tucson call it that way!! their planning was AOK but the rains did not fulfilled their contract and stayed away from the area!! they need a lawyer to sue GOD!!
That's what I've already stated.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life

JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec
Avg. High65°70°75°84°94°104°105°104°98°88°74°66°
Avg. Low41°44°48°55°64°72°81°78°72°60°48°41°
Mean54°58°62°70°78°88°94°92°86°75°62°54°
Avg. Precip.0.7 in0.7 in0.9 in0.3 in0.1 in0.1 in0.8 in1.0 in0.9 in0.7 in0.7 in1.0 in

This is misleading because you are using the whole state as a measure of precipitation. I can assure you that places like Prescott, Flagstaff and Payson receive far more rain during the monsoon than Phoenix or desert locations.