Sonoyta Bridge?

Roberto

Does anyone know if the bridge on the Mexican highway (Hwy 2) between San Luis and Sonoyta has re-opened?

I recall seeing some photos of it partially collapsed back about 3 weeks ago, and that was why all the trucks were going by way of the coast highway through Penasco.
Spoke with some folks who drove from Sonoyta to San Luis a few days ago and they did not see a damaged bridge or a detour. I asked directly about that. So apparently it is not a problem.

Roberto

Capture.jpg

Here's a capture showing the drainage just across the border north and east of Sonoita. Look at all the little fingers collecting and delivering to the river right there. I would guess that if a storm passes over that area it would contribute most of the flow at Sonoita and almost immediately too. Water further upstream may not even reach Sonoita.

Well sorry but that capture did not work well but if you look on a Google map that water shed is very clear.

Last edited:

GV Jack

Snorin God
DrawImage.jpgGood call Roberto...It is called the San Simon Watershed. I hope it works out where you can see it.

It runs north to south east of Why, and through to Mexico. It has a bunch of washes spilling into it. It appears to join the Rio Sonoyta to the east of town.

So my guess is that by watching the rain to the east and north of Sonoyta you will get an idea of the future situation in town.

The good news is that hopefully this mid-week things will dry out. I sure hope so cause I'm coming down a week from Wednesday.. FAIR Warning

Jim

I went up to Lukeville and back today. Got there about 2:00 and crossed a little more than a foot of water on the bridge. By the time I finished with the Post Office etc the road barely had any water over top on the way back. Glad that I went when I did because it looks pretty bad in that direction again tonight.

Terry C

From Rocky Point Press Release FB page. 9/11 12:05 PM
Last night the border bridge was available just for big trucks, but since the receint rains this early morning, it is inaccessible. We also must let you know that the Puerto Penasco-Sonoyta highway it dangerous since the road is too wet. Please drive carefully and respect all signs on your way. We recomend to take the Golfo de Santa Clara Highway in both directions

Drove over the bridge last nite around 7pm. There was no water running over and lite traffic. All types and sizes of vehicles were crossing. I waited about 5 minutes to get thru alternating traffic. The road from sonoyta to san luis is a mess, I drove that on Saturday morning. No traffic on the road, not well marked and a challenge in the day lite. Lots of diversions off the main road A much tougher and dangerous ride at nite I am sure. It took me about 2.5 hours to drive the road to where turnoff is to El Golfo then to Penasco. Total detour was 4.5 hours

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
Somebody just posted to the Facebook page that they had driven across in the last hour. It is still flowing but traffic is moving both ways.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
We didnt risk it today drove to Yuma and then to Phx 8 hours which included the wait at the inspection station outside El Golfo and 1hour to cross San Luis but a beautiful stress free drive with my wife of 30 years!

GV Jack

Snorin God
Good News, Sonoyta Detour Updates reports the following.

Sept 12 9:25 a.m. News from resident next to bridge in Sonoyta: "I live next the detour before the bridge and the police man just told me that all vehicles are permitted. 9:25"
Hopefully these storms are gone for awhile and we can get back to normal, whatever that is. Please hold on until next Wednesday after that let it rain and I'll just have to stay down there.

aihre

Road seems to be closed since 5pm, I saw in the newspaper they were putting beams over the new bridge so people can cross over

RPBOUND

we got in line Friday about 5:00 PM right at the corner of the Circle K/Pemex. No movement so walked to the bridge and only northboud was allowed. The water was rushing and I saw it move several vehicles inlcuding one of the guys ferrying cars on a flatbed trailer. I think it was really too much water at that time. One guy in a small truck was moved sideways about 4 feet, but he did make it...barely. Decided it would be at least 3 hours so went back to Phx. Any updates this morning? I am heading back down.