Sonoyta By Pass

GV Jack

Snorin God
GV Jack here for the first time in a number of years.
Is the by Pass through Sonoyta repaired from the flooding a number of years ago?
I haven't been to Rocky Point for a few years and am excited to get back.
I can't wait to see my old friends ,but will miss some, specifically Jeeper and Roberto.
Will be hitting town Monday afternoon.

ernesto

Well Known Member
It's open Jack! That side road behind the Pemex is a bit rough but a great place to stop and pee if you're traveling with weak bladders,(my wife). Don't see the asshole cops back there either.

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
Could someone post a map showing the route of this bypass? I have to drive through Lukeville tomorrow heading north.

audsley

Well Known Member
So I guess there is no missing the trap on the south of town.
No, this "bypass" doesn't do that. It only offers less traffic congestion and fewer stop signs that facilitate police mischief.

And not all of the revenue extraction takes place south of town. We've been stopped between the border and Highway 2. That's why we need a toll road that goes around all that.

fatboyharley

Well Known Member
It's open Jack! That side road behind the Pemex is a bit rough but a great place to stop and pee if you're traveling with weak bladders,(my wife). Don't see the asshole cops back there either.
Got stopped last month by three trucks in full gear on the bypass. Stopped my car, asked a few questions and then let us go. Strangest thing. No asking for money.

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
Yesterday morning 4 cars heading north passed me really fast at about km 4. I decided I would let them spring any traps. But, immediately before cresting the hill they all slowed to 15 mph. The five of us crawled into view of radar traps on each side of the road, and a third cop car maneuvering a block further down. Took the bypass without incident. No more Mexican police, but several Pima County sheriffs were set up around Ajo.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
After crawling thru Sonoyta, you have 3-4 park rangers on the your trek thru Organ Pipe and another 4-6 Sherriff's in and around Ajo and a handful in Gile Bend.
So in all we have to deal with a 45+ mile long Speed trap zone. The difference is in Mexico your fine is $40-100, in the US it's $240.

richwi

Well Known Member
We live in Penasco full time and go back and for a couple times a month. We usually travel mid-week and don’t see many cars pulled over. When we returned from Phoenix yesterday going through Sonoyta about 4 we must have seen at least 6 cars pulled over at various points. We have a dash cam and always make sure it on when we travel through. We have been stopped twice and both time when we politely asked the officer to look and the dash cam video they declined and we were sent on our way.

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
After crawling thru Sonoyta, you have 3-4 park rangers on the your trek thru Organ Pipe and another 4-6 Sherriff's in and around Ajo and a handful in Gile Bend.
So in all we have to deal with a 45+ mile long Speed trap zone. The difference is in Mexico your fine is $40-100, in the US it's $240.
The easiest and absolute best way to beat a 'speed trap' is to obey the speed limit. Has worked for me for decades. What's the rush?

playaperro

El Pirata
I don’t believe the dash cam comes into play if you do the speed limit, I mean most cops are rotated so it’s very unlikely they live in the town they patrol.

mondone

Whitecaps
Dash Cam and my Garmin GPS do help. I reset the the Max speed field on the Garmin as soon as I cross over the border and monitor it all through Sonoyta. They have a problem with my speed, I just show them the reading on the Garmin.

VegasDude

Latest one. Friend came sb in his rv towing a vehicle yesterday. Did not use Sept 16 street. Used "old way" Cop without a car nearby, said he didn't stop at sign . Cop was justing standing near the road. Friend said he stopped at stop sign. I wasn't there so I couldn't tell you exact stopping method.
Cop Said "No couldn't go to the court to pay fine Today but could go Tomorrow" Not sure if that's part of the scam about not today but tomorrow. It was about 1:00pm

1000 peso "fine".

So did he come to a complete stop? Dunno. My friend is a retired guy in a large rv, 14 years traveling mexico. Doesn't speed and stops at stop signs

joester

2 salty dawgs
We usually just veer left at the Y, then take first right after the bridge onto 16 Septembre - takes you easily thru neighborhood on fresh concrete street to join back to Hwy after congested area. Works well - just go slow like everywhere else.

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
Went south just before sunset yesterday. Two Pima County cars trapping Ajo and two traps in Sonyota. No problems.

ernesto

Well Known Member
The easiest and absolute best way to beat a 'speed trap' is to obey the speed limit. Has worked for me for decades. What's the rush?
Well now that makes the assumption the officer is honest. They are not all honest. And that is not up for discussion. I know that for a fact. Have you ever heard of the Gringo tax?

Last edited:

Porta56

Just got to Cholla. 3 cops in Sonoyta—2 of them had folks pulled over. About 2 miles north of Penasco the Policia had a road block with 3 cars in place, lights going. They looked all through my truck, and then let me go. Border was as easy as I have ever had. Just waved me through at both places. Not sure what is going on, but they sure are tightening up down here.

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
Well now that makes the assumption the officer is honest. They are not all honest. And that is not up for discussion. I know that for a fact. Have you ever heard of the Gringo tax?
Nothing in life is perfect. Bad people in every profession. My advice is the best chance you have of avoiding speeding tickets. Unfortunately, many people do drive too fast and when they get caught they cannot admit to wrongdoing. The system must be corrupt. The police must be corrupt. The vast majority of time, the offender just refuses to admit their guilt.