Sonoyta...Pig Pen or Rat Hole?

jerry

The point of this thread isn't to bash Sonoyta but to point out maybe they should be able to share in the Tourist dollars to make up for all the hassles they put up with when we basically blockade rthier town while returning from big weekends. if you have ever taken a road trip around the Yucatan and seen how clean the town centers are it sticks with you...first impressions and all

toetrx

I wish they would have built a new port of entry about 5 miles to the west of the current one and bypass the town of Sonoyta completely.

Sonoyta.....Good cops there too!

Hi......

Been going thru Sonoyta since '89! The town is more cleaner now than back then!

On way to border the 4th of May, Yesterday, was doing over 87 km and did not see the speed sign into Sonoyta posting a speed limit under half that!

On the south end of town where the Red Cross collects donations, thought the 4 or so people there, and two in the road, were the collectors.

But as I got there, they were Sonoyta police with Radar!

Ja, got nailed! Was pulled over and the policeman said I was really speeding! Over twice the speed limit.

Got out to talk to them ( which I would never do in the northern police state, or risk getting shot) about my speeding, and no money in wallet, as I filled up at RP, and had to get to airport in the states, and short of time to find a bank and get money to pay find to get my D/L back to go on.

I asked the policeman if he could let me go, said I would never ever go over speed limit again, in Sonoyta ever, but knew it would be useless, as he showed me the reading on the Radar gun.

We walked over to the other cops, did not hear what they said, and walked back to me and said, have a good day, and said to go!

Blow my mind, he let me go!

Coming down the week before, got caught on Radar on 85 coming south out of Why by an Arizona cop.

Pulled me over and said I was doing 83 in
a 65 mph zone.
I said wow, that's what I was going!

Gave him all my paperwork, then said in exchange for no ticket, I'll give him my wife in exchange. He walked back to his cruiser, then came back with a paper.

He said it was my lucky day! He just gave me a warning, and said I to keep my wife cause he has one!

Now I got to watch cause the third time can be a ...

DD

MIRAMAR

We always stop in Sonoyta at El Serape for the BEST Carne Asada Tacos, and we've befriended one of the nicest, most hospitable person we've ever met- Abel Acosta, along with his entire extended family. He's invited us to his family's birthdays, baptisms, and holidays, and we've done the same. We could choose to look at Sonoyta as "fly over country" aka just drive through, but we've realized there are good people in every city, not just clean tourist areas.

Ajo to Border

Oh, one more thing! The cops from the Ajo area like to give tickets!

So, I have noticed now they seem to be working in pairs.

If you see one, and skip by, and up your speed, as if you think your in the clear, I think they radio the other one your coming.

They figure that you figure that you will up your speed going over posted speed limit.

I NEVER seen them work in pairs like that!

So, usually do not go over the speed limit, but if I don't set my speed control to posted limit, I tend to wander up on my speed. That's when I usually get it!

And Kenny....possible for both!

DD

Ajo is well known for radar traps...I've been pulled over and stopped a couple times for the lamest reasons (not ticketed)...just to check me out.....my license plate had lost the reflectivity or I was driving erratically crossing the center line (NOT)....one time the sheriff's deputy followed me thru the changing speed zones so close that you could have reached out and touched his bumper from the bed of my truck.....trying to intimidate me????

El Gato

Once I was driving down with DD and some of her friends (all good looking). I NEVER speed through Ajo. Got pulled over anyway. Fortunately no ticket but I think everyone I'd ever known in Penasco drove by waved.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Oh, one more thing! The cops from the Ajo area like to give tickets!

So, I have noticed now they seem to be working in pairs.

If you see one, and skip by, and up your speed, as if you think your in the clear, I think they radio the other one your coming.

They figure that you figure that you will up your speed going over posted speed limit.

I NEVER seen them work in pairs like that!

So, usually do not go over the speed limit, but if I don't set my speed control to posted limit, I tend to wander up on my speed. That's when I usually get it!

And Kenny....possible for both!

DD

Seems like you day-dream a lot while driving! Please inform me of when you're on the road so I can stay off of it, thanks.

Sheriff got my wife for 21 in a 15 as she was coasting slower and slower to the border patrol check outside Ajo.

mr.phx

Al Pastor Locator
Ajo and Why? are notorious for ticketing speeders. One late night in AJoe, got pulled for speeding. He told me I was doing 41 in the 25 zone. Wha? I said that you can't do that, this is AJO! "There is no way I was going that fast, not now, not ever! Its AJO, you can't speed in Ajo! Read my papers and let me off. Mostly for being a fan of aJoe az. I didn't tell him I knew the high school fight song tho, thats my last chance getting out of jail free card.

Strawberry Shortcake
Gooseberry Pie
V I C T O R Y
Will We Win It?
Yes, I Guess
Ajo High School
Yes Yes Yes!
(or, we're the best!)

Probably not the same one they use today. But Back in the day...

Gooseberry Pie!

soborno in Sonoita, the price of passage . My big city amigos felt the mordida northbound this morning, pulled over coming into town. policia say 73 in a 40 and 150 dll fine. follow us to station. well, only had 40dollars in his pocket and I guess that was the current exchange rate cause the problem went away.. I don't get them southbound very often and this won't help convince them all is ok the next time. Oh and It's a pretty sure thing that they weren't doing that 73 either.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
soborno in Sonoita, the price of passage . My big city amigos felt the mordida northbound this morning, pulled over coming into town. policia say 73 in a 40 and 150 dll fine. follow us to station. well, only had 40dollars in his pocket and I guess that was the current exchange rate cause the problem went away.. I don't get them southbound very often and this won't help convince them all is ok the next time. Oh and It's a pretty sure thing that they weren't doing that 73 either.
Radar in Sonoyta is in kilometers per hour, so if the cop told them 73 it would have been about 45 miles per hour. Nothing is in miles in Mexico.

entiende gracias.. I was referring to km. it's 40km posted as you come into town. they say they pegged him at 73km , which he wasn't doing, as an extremely cautious fellow and nervous about being in mexico anyway.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
A big percentage of the people of Sonoyta and the area around Sonoyta carry tribal cards from the Tohono O'odahm nation and can cross our border without a US passport only with they're tribal card. On the Mexican side they dont mind the name Papago, but on the US side they don't care for it. It probably really could be compared to our reservations as far as blood or race is concerned Even in Penasco there are alot of Papagos. Mark Gaby's wife and her family are Papago and absolutly beautiful. He is gonna be a dad soon, she is going to cross with her tribal card and have the baby in Tucson. When you compare Sonoyta to our reservations its right on par, even though its not a res.

Last edited:
Mexico Joe....Hell no! I do not Daydream when I drive down from LUKEVILLE , so don't let me stop you coming or going!I ADMIT tho, I put the speed control on and close my eyes! And my wife, on pass side leans over and stears! Works great! Don'T WORRY! When she yells stop it does wake me!DD