Sonoyta Road to border blocked by local cars/trucks

monte

Rumor or Fact?
I heard that locals block the road with vehicles part of the day on last weekend of Oct or first weekend of Nov. This occurred as you make the turn going towards the US border. I found it hard to believe but came from reliable source.
I have never had a problem - ever.

Bob Oso

Rumor or Fact?
I heard that locals block the road with vehicles part of the day on last weekend of Oct or first weekend of Nov. This occurred as you make the turn going towards the US border. I found it hard to believe but came from reliable source.
I have never had a problem - ever.
Are you talking about right out Sonoyta, or the round about outside of RP? We went through ( heading North ) Nov.1st at 12:00pm when the supposed block was to start at the Laguna Del Mar turn off. There were a dozen Federallies vehicles dispersing the small crowd, went through with out a hitch.

C

Cindi

Hello, I am going to Rocky Point Thanksgiving morning and I am a bit nervous. I have been to Mexico several times (cruises, and stayed in Cancun and Akumal) but never to RP. We are chill people and have never had any issues but the driving thing has me a bit freaked. Is there usually a lot of traffic going to and from RP. We are comin from AZ and hope this trip is as awesome as every other Mexico trip. Thanks in advance.

Roberto

The worst thing about the trip is the speed trap in Ajo and the road in Arizona between Why and Lukeville at the border. It's a little narrow but the surface is in good condition. Expect to see lots of Immigration and enforcement vehicles on the AZ side, thats typical. There is a stop on the US side right at the Lukeville border staffed with 4 or 5 armed enforcement folk. Don't freak out, it's there every day. They will ask if you have $10,000 or more, and if you have guns. They are there as an assist to the Mexican to stop the flow of money and guns into Mexico.

When you cross into Mexico watch the red/green light. If you get the red you will pull over for inspection. They are concerned mainly about people bringing stuff across without paying the required tax, like booze. They are very polite and friendly and most speak english. After you pass the border checkpoint you will be subjected to a guy standing in the road waving, he wants to tell you about the Mayan TIme share and get you to sign up so don't bother to stop, unless you want one. There is usually a fair amout of traffic as you pass through Sonoita, but no stop and go, watch the signs as they clearly mark the route through town. Down the hill , left at the intersection, cross the bridge, bear right and you are on you way out of town to Penasco. Watch your speed limit, especially when leaving Sonoita, it's a well know speed trap, so is Ajo if you come down that way. Watch the limit signs and stick to them even if the locals blow their horns behind you. You can speed up after you leave Sonoita and at the top of the hill going toward Penasco. You can easily maintain 65 MPH all the way in and expect to be passed by other vehicles. The road from Sonoita to Penasco is much better than the road on the US side, wide with aprons, striped and clean.

The road was blocked for an hour or so one day as a protest by the local shrip fishermen. Even at that, traffic was allowed to pass.

Enjoy your visit.

Last edited:
Usually there is a fair amount of traffic, especially on a holiday weekend. If you feel nervous you can stop at the gas station right before the border where others wait so you can caravan down to rp.

C

Cindi

My trip was awesome. I don't know why I was so nervous. Never hassled, once. Didn't see any federalies either way. I'm not sure if that's good or not but I never felt unsafe. I really appreciate this site for easing my apprehension. We are planning our next trip.

Roberto

:usa::mexico::usa::mexico::usa::mexico:Yeah, bring the rest of your family and the neighbors too !! It was a beautiful weekend. Glad you had a good trip.