Spearing?

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Any spearos here? I've heard RP is not ideal for it but figured i'd try. I'm coming in on Thanksgiving day for an undetermined amount of time. I guess it depends on the spearing haha.

Saludos!
I bought a gun a year or so ago to start trying around Cholla Bay. I have seen video from an Instagram page and the guy has nailed multiple Grouper and a yellowtail in the early Spring time. All near Pelican Point and to the east on the south side of the point.

Problem is, my boat launcher in Cholla Bay took my gun out of my boat the first time we took the boat down because he says spear fishing is illegal in Mexico. From a boat. You can buy a special license apparently for spear fishing. I think from shore it's fine and who would know honestly?! Kind of bummed that I can't have it on the boat but definitely not trying to get arrested.

robicano22

I bought a gun a year or so ago to start trying around Cholla Bay. I have seen video from an Instagram page and the guy has nailed multiple Grouper and a yellowtail in the early Spring time. All near Pelican Point and to the east on the south side of the point.

Problem is, my boat launcher in Cholla Bay took my gun out of my boat the first time we took the boat down because he says spear fishing is illegal in Mexico. From a boat. You can buy a special license apparently for spear fishing. I think from shore it's fine and who would know honestly?! Kind of bummed that I can't have it on the boat but definitely not trying to get arrested.
it might be illegal without some kind of "from a boat" license, but there are tons of for hire guides that will let you spear off a boat. but i was looking for shore diving mainly, but willing to hire a boat if that's the only way

rplarry

Well Known Member
I find it hilarious and classic Mexico that they would take Joe’s speargun, while raping and pillaging dozens of species with the shrimp trawlers, turn a blind eye to long line fishing and other illegally harmful species killing endeavors.

But, heavens forbid a dude brings a speargun on a boat to maybe shoot a couple fish, and they enforce that like you are a raper of the sea.

Mexico is a funny place in a lot of respects

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Was that Villa or Jippy or?
Jippy. When we got home I looked up any info I could find and I think he may be right. It looks like your Mexican fishing license is rod and reel and there is a second license you can buy to spear from a boat. Don't quote me though.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I find it hilarious and classic Mexico that they would take Joe’s speargun, while raping and pillaging dozens of species with the shrimp trawlers, turn a blind eye to long line fishing and other illegally harmful species killing endeavors.

But, heavens forbid a dude brings a speargun on a boat to maybe shoot a couple fish, and they enforce that like you are a raper of the sea.

Mexico is a funny place in a lot of respects
It's funny how many times per trip I say those exact lines to my girlfriend for different scenarios. The idea that even the most strictest of laws apply to you in a wildly lawless society is comical to say the least.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
it might be illegal without some kind of "from a boat" license, but there are tons of for hire guides that will let you spear off a boat. but i was looking for shore diving mainly, but willing to hire a boat if that's the only way
No, I just included the boat information as more information but my main point was for you to go spearing from shore in CHOLLA BAY. Open Google maps or whatever and look at the south side of Cholla Bay. I personally would start at Pinto Point. Good chance for Spotted Cabrilla (Pinto, Leopard Grouper). There are two side walks that were laid 30+ years ago with steps to get you down through the rocks to the water line. Perfect for sitting there to put on fins and lube mask. Any part of this side of the coast from here to PELICAN POINT is all good free dive spearing grounds. The only issue with any other part between Pinto and Pelican is that you're going to be rock climbing to get down to the water but I used to do it to shore fish so it's definitely possible. Just remember, the black rock is SLICKER than snot and you can seriously hurt yourself.

Other places of interest for spearing from shore would be.
  1. Back of Competition Hill (Cholla Bay)
  2. Wrecked at the Reef to the west between end of RV park and Cholla Mnt. (Competition Hill)
  3. The end of the Jetty at Wrecked at the Reef
  4. West side of Whale Hill at the end of the Malecon
  5. Whale Hill south side
  6. Manny's Beach Club from there to the west towards Whale Hill
That's going to be all of your rocky, reefy shore spots.