Speed Change

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Yeterday at 6 am as I was approaching the border from the Mexico side I found out that the speed has been change from 20 km/hr to 40km/hr, I was doing 66 and didn't see the police car untill it was way to late, so needles to say I got stopped and the cop ask me for my driver's license, handed it to him as I was telling him that I had to be at the airport at a particuler time to take my client so they do not miss their plane and that I knew I was going a little faster.
Then he try to scare me into openning my walet by telling me that he will have to "hold" my drivers license untill I come back and pay the fine, I played along and started to see how far he will go and he did go the full length, short to basically ask "where is the money" and just as he thought he had the cash on hand I told him "OK lets go to the police station right now 'cause I am in rush" inmediatelly he told me "OK this time I will give you a warning but next time I will fined you!!"

Be ware of traffic speed changes!!

El Gato

Glad they changed it to 40 km/hr - at 20 km/hr I could walk faster lol - and cars back up like crazy. Even the police go around you (unless you were going 21 km/hr.

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
Yeterday at 6 am as I was approaching the border from the Mexico side I found out that the speed has been change from 20 km/hr to 40km/hr, I was doing 66 and didn't see the police car untill it was way to late, so needles to say I got stopped and the cop ask me for my driver's license, handed it to him as I was telling him that I had to be at the airport at a particuler time to take my client so they do not miss their plane and that I knew I was going a little faster.
Then he try to scare me into openning my walet by telling me that he will have to "hold" my drivers license untill I come back and pay the fine, I played along and started to see how far he will go and he did go the full length, short to basically ask "where is the money" and just as he thought he had the cash on hand I told him "OK lets go to the police station right now 'cause I am in rush" inmediatelly he told me "OK this time I will give you a warning but next time I will fined you!!"

Pretty sad that taking bribes still happens.

Kenny

Good Job Inka...The only way you can win at a game is to know the rules, and you played it perfectly.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life

So you were previously aware that the posted speed limit was 20kph and you were doing 66?! Seems a little haphazard if you ask me... the cop should have re-raised you and said Ok, lets go pay that fine.... I mean you were breaking the law right?

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I think the accident not only left you unusable for many things that are normal for other as it is reading comprehention, in the first sentence of my post I am saying that am going over the speed limit, what bother you is that you had to put out when you got stopped unlike me I walked away when I realized what the crook cop wanted!

AZ ROB

hate to say it but I am with Joe on this one. Had they not changed the speed limit you were doing more than 3 times the legal limit. Maybe if you were in such a hurry you should have left earlier? If I was the patron I would have been alittle worried about the dis-regard for the laws. Or the fact you feel like they don't relate to you.

Kenny

hate to say it but I am with Joe on this one. Had they not changed the speed limit you were doing more than 3 times the legal limit. Maybe if you were in such a hurry you should have left earlier? If I was the patron I would have been alittle worried about the dis-regard for the laws. Or the fact you feel like they don't relate to you.
I'm not with anyone on this deal, I just liked how he didn't pay the bribe and was willing to go to the police station; or said he would anyway. As far the the speed limit is concerned, to me it's not clear if he knew it had been changed before hand, or had just stumbled on it.:-?

AZ ROB

What I was saying is if the speed limit is 20kmh or 40kmh He was still doing 66kmh. Luckily they changed it to a higher speed

Kenny

What I was saying is if the speed limit is 20kmh or 40kmh He was still doing 66kmh. Luckily they changed it to a higher speed
I've never been stopped in all the years I've been going down, but it did make Jerry nervous when I was smiling and waving at the cops in Sonoyta. I've even pulled over and waved them past when they were tailgating me.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I've never been pulled over either but that stretch between the border and the roundabout makes me nervous. It goes from 40 to 20 in about 10 feet. When I go 20, people go around me on both sides.......And I can't hardly go 20, it creeps up on me......

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I think the accident not only left you unusable for many things that are normal for other as it is reading comprehention, in the first sentence of my post I am saying that am going over the speed limit, what bother you is that you had to put out when you got stopped unlike me I walked away when I realized what the crook cop wanted!

Dude, are you all there? :eek: Might I ask what is unusable for me? We've never met so I cant understand how you know me so well. "...in the first sentence of my post I am saying that am going over the speed limit, what bother you is that...". Dude are you all there? What are you talking about? When or where did I mention that I got pulled over? You are sooo random my man. Lets try and focus and stay on topic. I will talk in short sentences to keep your attention. You said you had previous knowledge of a posted speed limit. Which you clearly disregarded by going 66. The cop should have re-raised you. The cop should have made you pay the fine. You should have payed the fine at the station. NO WHERE HERE ARE WE TALKING ABOUT BRIBES, ME BEING HANDICAP, ME BEING PULLED OVER. So when you respond to me why do you include these things?

Kenny

I've never been pulled over either but that stretch between the border and the roundabout makes me nervous. It goes from 40 to 20 in about 10 feet. When I go 20, people go around me on both sides.......And I can't hardly go 20, it creeps up on me......
I was going to edit and mention that Chari... I think we don't get pulled over because we're bound and determined not to be one of the ugly Americans, and flaunt the law. Now I hate the double standard, but that's just the way it is.
Running into a truck down by Santo Tomas doesn't count as a stop, even though it was kind of quick.:oops:

jerry

A few years ago had to pay a bribe for going 18mph in the 20 KM zone...beat that..it may have been the slowest speeding ticket ever...paid the bribe with 2 fake 20's some crooked customer passed to me

Roberto

I've been pulled over some in 6 years. Mostly early in my stay,as I am very careful and now they all know my truck and don't bother me. I paid fines at court on two occasions but most of the time when I said OK lets go to court, they change their mind and send me on my way with a caution. It is one of my pet peeves here that virtually no one stops at stop signs, except ME.

The bribes have evolved not only to fund raise from visitors but it really helps the locals out a lot some time. Say you are a local, making maybe $600 pesos a week to feed the family and pay the rent, and driving a car with no plate because you need to get to work and can't afford to import the vehicle and get stopped. Paying a bribe is far, far cheaper than taking the court route where you will probably need to pay a fine, which you probabaly won't have AND you might lose that vehicle completely. It will go to impound where the daily fees mount, fees which you have no money to pay so you lose the vehicle. $50 pesos is a heck of a lot better than losing the vehicle. A friend got stopped like that and they took a 5 peso bribe to let him go !! He was very happy about that even though it was his last 5 pesos.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I also stop at every stop sign but some of them are behind bushes or food carts. There's one on Constitucion going north near the Ley that you can't see because of a street vendor's cart.....I have that one memorized.

Roberto

It is a good practice to at least slow down at all intersections, especially the ones in the neighborhoods.