Speed Trap in Sonoita!

Please be aware that the speed trap at Sonoyta isn't only at the approach to town coming north from the highway. This is an excellent location to catch those who are truly speeding. My wife was stopped by the Sonoyta Municipal Police on the final approach to the US border. I guess the officer thought he had a good catch - an attractive PU, AZ plates, and a woman driving alone. He was surprised to find that she was a Mexican citizen, and sent her on her way.

I was stopped on two occasions, heading south, approaching the highway. The first time, the officer gave me the rap about how much time it would take to go to the station to pay the fine. I said: "Let's go!". He asked me a couple of times about my "business" in Penasco. I finally told him that I had bills to pay, and dental work to get done. He sent me on my way.

The second time I was pulled over at the south end of town, transtioning to the highway at the point where the speed limit was 60 km/h. The officer approached me, reached out and shook my hand, and with his left hand, produced his radar gun with 68 km/h locked on the screen. I had been carefull to do EXACTLY the speed limit through town, each time it changed. I replied: "Oh, no, only 40 km/h", and pointed to my speedometer. He backed off and bid me on my way. DON'T EVER PAY MORDITA TO ANYONE! Doing so only makes it difficult for all of us. (The only acceptible exception is if you get caught buying drugs).

lv2bgoing

I would caution everyone to obey the speed laws coming into Sonoita. They seem to have set up a new radar speed trap that caught me going over the limit yesterday 6/29. They refused to let me off with a warning and charged me $30 on the spot for the violation. I only had 2 $20, and they did not have change, (they said), so I had to surrender that, or I presume would not be allowed to continue back to the states. Not sure what would have happened if I had no cash. Perhaps the police force could try being a little more lenient to help foster a better friendship with tourists to the North, and encourage travel to the South. Thanks for letting me vent a little.
They got me this morning and it cost me $20 bucks. I knew about it but forgot and they were hiding pretty good. Oh he had to show us the radar gun also. I think they use the money for breakfast. the cop acted like he was calling on his phone to ok the $20 instead of going to the judge. I am still laughing at that one.